Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this an Amex upgrade offer?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is this an Amex upgrade offer?

Wow that’s quite a lineup! I’m ok for now with the 4 cards (+PayPal Credit which is so useless for me and annoys me to no end that it wasn’t a hidden tl when I appd) I have. At least I know more now and can be more strategic with any apps I do in the future. It’s so easy to get caught up in the thrill of approvals esp for me having messed up my credit in college. Good luck in the garden!
Message 11 of 27
Credit_Flavours
Regular Contributor

As others have noted, this is more of an app for a new account. I got the same offer pop up when I went online last night. It is also in my "offers" as we speak and the "upgrade your card" button is also on the page but the fact that it takes you to a new app page made me cautious, so I got on the chat with someone who really had no clue.

I called in this morning and they confirmed this was a new app and then offered an upgrade without the SUB. No brainer; that was a hard pass for me.

Sometimes I think it's just deceptive marketing to put in ambiguous language in your so-called offers and later on deny the SUB. Folks have to be careful before accepting these "offers".

Thanks for creating the thread, I had searched on here last night to see if anybody had seen the same offer.

Message 12 of 27
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I’d be surprised if they actually let you upgrade that soon because the CARD act prohibits increases in annual fees in your first year of card membership. So typically you can’t go to a higher AF product so soon. My guess is this would be a new account.
Message 13 of 27
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

#COMENITY2019 Smiley Happy
Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:
I’d be surprised if they actually let you upgrade that soon because the CARD act prohibits increases in annual fees in your first year of card membership. So typically you can’t go to a higher AF product so soon. My guess is this would be a new account.

Good point and I totally spaced that. This would be the first card I have ever had with an AF so CARD considerations never popped in my head. I'll just hold off and use my Disco or BBVA for groceries. 

Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
#COMENITY2019 Smiley Happy

AJC!!!

Such a bad influence! 😡 

Message 16 of 27
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@kdm31091 wrote:

+1 Amex (like all lenders except NFCU that I am aware of) is a stickler when it comes to interpreting the CARD Act as AFs cannot be increased during the first year even if the consumer requests it.   Interestingly, it slipped my mind that business cards are exempt to that rule (and many other consumer protections) until Amex sent me this extremely lackluster upgrade offer for my SkyMiles Platinum Business at the 8 month mark:

Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 1.15.44 PM.png

Message 17 of 27
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Oops, forgot to mention that from experience any actual upgrade will just take you to a page that lists the offer and the changes in terms to your existing card.  You agree and submit and that's it.  If it's asking you for information like an app, it's an app for a new product.

Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Oops, forgot to mention that from experience any actual upgrade will just take you to a page that lists the offer and the changes in terms to your existing card.  You agree and submit and that's it.  If it's asking you for information like an app, it's an app for a new product.

That's what I figured. I just thought it was odd it used the word upgrade. 

I find it interesting that they prequal me now when I have ~$3500 in reported revolving balances. I guess it really just was the 31 point boost from 690 to 721 that made them interested in giving me another card. Back in June I was PIF on all accounts with most paid before the statement cut. 

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm curious, do you still hold the Amex BCE apped on 03/18? If so then just "upgrade" that to the BCP. Should have the offer if you click on upgrade? If not, then i would suggest PCing Magnet to the BCE, then upgrading to the BCP. 

BTW, that is definitely a lot of apps in the past year!

Here I was thinking my 5-6 HPs and 6 new accounts were high. Smiley Surprised

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.