Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this balance transfer offer good?

tag
smile90000
New Contributor

Is this balance transfer offer good?

My official fico scores are 798, 799, 789

I got the Citi Simplicity card a couple of years ago to cover the expenses related to my mom's funeral. The balance is still pretty high at $6000.

When the time came for the free introductory 0% to end, I just paid the balance off with my emergency savings, waited a week and then did a balance transfer offer so that I had the money back in my emergency savings.

Well the balance transfer 0% interest is about to end again, and I'm trying to figure out if I should do the same thing again, as I just can't afford to spend all of my emergency money right now.

I can either

1. have 0% until March 2020

2. have .99 interest til May 2020

3. have 1.99 interest til May 2021.

Currently I am paying no interest (I do not use the card) other than the offer fee of 5% each time I do this.

I hate paying interest, but am tempted by the 5/21 1.99% just so I don't have to worry if somehow I won't have a balance transfer offer in March 2020.

I'm just curious if others had thoughts on what I should do. Again, I do not use the card, I am fortunate enough to have the Citi DC. Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is this balance transfer offer good?

If you are restricting your choices to those three, I would choose 1.99% til May 2021 if they all require the same balance transfer fee.  

If you believe you can pay off the balance before one of the lower rate choices expire then choose one of those.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

what is your simplicity's APR?

and how much are you planing to pay each month?

Message 3 of 7
NRB525
Super Contributor

Go with the May 2021 offer. If the BT fee is 5% up front, then you want to extend as long as possible at a lower rate than that 5% else you end up paying 5% on a sum later. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get the 0% offer and pay off before it expires enough time for 6k
Message 5 of 7
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

Sometimes it helps to sit down and work out the math on what you would actually have to pay in interest (plus the BT fee) over the length of the promotional period.

For the 0.00% offer - payments of $667/mo to pay it off in the 9 months. You'd pay $300 interest and fees.

For the 0.99% offer - payments of $503/mo to pay it off in the 12 months. You'd pay $332 interest and fees.

For the 1.99% offer - payments of $255/mo to pay it off in the 24 months. You'd pay $425 interest and fees.

So you see, compared to the initial balance transfer fee, you're actually paying very little in interest with any of these offers. So you simply need to decide:

-whether or not it's worth $32 for your monthly payments to be $164 less every month

or

-whether or not it's worth $125 for your monthly payments to be $412 less every month

I think the answer comes down to whether or not you're living on a tight budget. If you are, then probably the 1.99% offer is the best idea. But if you have plenty of wiggle room in your monthly budget, then pick the 0.99% offer.

If you can't afford $667/mo payments on this balance, then the 0% offer is a bad choice, in my opinion.... you'd only be saving $2.66 or $5.20 each month in interest, while your monthly payments would be $164 or $413 higher. The 0% offer really only makes sense if you have plenty of extra money in your budget every month to cover the high monthly payments that would be required to pay it off in time.

And you REALLY want to pay it off before the promotional period ends, because otherwise you'll be stuck doing another balance transfer again and paying another 5% fee again.

The $300 you're paying every time you move the balance to a new card is MUCH more costly than the interest you'd be paying with any of these offers.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 6 of 7
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

Alternatively, you could save a bunch of money by getting a new card with no balance transfer fee.

Both the Amex Everyday Rewards and the Chase Slate offer 15 months of 0%, with no balance transfer fee or annual fee. That would save you $332 versus 12mo 0.99% (w/ 5% fee).

You could get the Chase Slate now, and the Amex Everyday in 15 months (or the other way around), and you'd have 30 months to pay off your balance with absolutely $0 cost.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.