Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this good for starting off?

tag
spengbab
Regular Contributor

Is this good for starting off?

Hey guys, I just recently found these forums out. I love the myFICO service! 

I wanted to ask if these were good cards to start out with. I started in January and stopped today. This is my "spree" Smiley Tongue not gonna get any more cards after this for sure...

AMEX Zync

Barclaycard (Apple Financing) - 1400 CL
Firestone CFNA - 1000 CL

Chase Freedom - 500 CL

Discover More Card - 2000 CL

Thanks!

Barclaycard Apple Financing (2100), Discover More (2500), US Bank Visa Platinum (2000), CFNA (2200), Chase Freedom (500), Capital One (1500), HSBC Platinum Master Card (750), Nebraska Furniture Mart (1000)
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
namvet
Established Contributor

Re: Is this good for starting off?

@spengbab wrote:

I wanted to ask if these were good cards to start out with. I started in January and stopped today. This is my "spree" Smiley Tongue not gonna get any more cards after this for sure...

AMEX Zync

Firestone CFNA - 1000 CL

Chase Freedom - 500 CL

Discover More Card - TBD

Thanks!

Well let me be the first to say congrats and you can stop apping for the rest of the year.  Let em age and grow with you!

Message 2 of 12
spengbab
Regular Contributor

Thanks. Looking at a strategic standpoint, I'm just starting off. My AAoA is already low and with so few cards, if I got 1 more it would lower it even further. So I took the opportunity to get a crapton of cards in order to get a nice AAoA later on Smiley Tongue 

Barclaycard Apple Financing (2100), Discover More (2500), US Bank Visa Platinum (2000), CFNA (2200), Chase Freedom (500), Capital One (1500), HSBC Platinum Master Card (750), Nebraska Furniture Mart (1000)
Message 3 of 12
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

That is a very good start. I have a few questions...Are all of these cards without credit history or did you have one before/listed as authorized user? I really want the Chase Freedom and/or Barclays Apple Card but hear you need atleast 6 months - 1 year of history for both. 

PS: Did you apply for any of these cards after being approved for the Barclay's?...if so be vigilant that they don't CLD or close your account since they are very inq sensitive. 

Message 4 of 12
logan_720
Established Contributor

Was the Freedom card approved after recon? 

Message 5 of 12
spengbab
Regular Contributor

Yeah I did get most of them after barclays.

The only recon I had was Barclays. Everything else was approved on the spot.

My score for EQ was 641 when I applied in Jan. Now it's 660. Credit might be dinged for a bit due to 2 more applications but I don't really care right now. I could care less if Barclays closes my account. I returned the Macbook Air I got with it because I want to wait for the 2012 model. I think it's a very boring card. No rewards at all. Still, might be nice to have around yeah?

What I did was I have an account at Credit Karma. The good thing is is that it lists credit card offers and then it has data on who was approved and denied... so it tells you if you will likely be approved for a card or not. It said I had a good chance on the Chase Freedom. Looked like an awesome card so I got it. Almost makes me not want my AMEX... hehe.

Credit history, is just a car loan of 4 years. 

Message 6 of 12
logan_720
Established Contributor

In that case, I am super jealous! Chase denies me because I have too many inquiries, thats the only negative item on my credit report. Everything else is perfect, they hate me, I swear!

Message 7 of 12
spengbab
Regular Contributor

how many INQs? I had 2 on EQ so now I have 3 after applying for chase.

Message 8 of 12
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@spengbab wrote:

AMEX Zync

Firestone CFNA - 1000 CL

Chase Freedom - 500 CL

Discover More Card - TBD

Thanks!

Congrats! You've done well. Definitely garden for at least 6 months. Barclay's is notorious for closing accts or taking AA when you open too many accts. Definitely keep reporting balances low (if not zero), so if they soft you maybe they won't take AA.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 9 of 12
logan_720
Established Contributor

Lets just say I have...enough. But when I see people get approved through recon after they were denied for things like charge off's, or bankruptcy, its gets annoying, because they approve people that have filed bankruptcy over someone who may have a few inquiries.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.