cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this right? Higher limits are bad for you?

tag
toppers555
Established Contributor

Re: Is this right? Higher limits are bad for you?

@kevinjjc wrote:
Which forum? Smiley Happy

MyFico forum raid? JK

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 11 of 24
Bay_Area_Joe
Frequent Contributor

I don't know everything by any means, but I have a lot of availible credit and low debt, and credit card companies don't seem to have any issue with it, and in fact I seem to get auto CLI's.

My scores are great, and whatever I am doing is working well.

J

About 600k in Credit Lines
CSP 29.9k, Citi DP 58.5k, Chase Sams MC 20k, Amex Hilton Surpass 35.6k, Hawaii Air 26k, Discover More 56k, Chase SWA 3.5k, WF PLOC 30k, B of A Visa 63.3k, Wells Plat Visa 8.3k, RC Willey 5k, Pen Fed Visa 50k, Pen Fed PLOC 25k, Lowes 25k, CSR 28.8k
Message 12 of 24
enharu
Super Contributor

In most cases, higher limits are NOT a bad thing.

There are a few scenarios where high limits can be a bad thing however.

1. People with absolutely zero self control of finance management skills. People in this category ought to steer clear of debt entirely, or simply limit how much they can borrow. 

2. People with limited income. High limits and low income can sometimes be a bad combination, especially for people with not-so-established credit history. It may make other lenders wary about issuing anymore credit or loans. YMMV situation on this.

3. People with high limits on nonsensical cards can end up "hurting" them instead. Their income starts to become a limiting factor simply because of the amount of credit they have on those (almost) useless cards, and because of that, they're denied of credit on cards that are actually much better for them.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 13 of 24
pinipig523
Established Member

@toppers555 wrote:

@kevinjjc wrote:
Which forum? Smiley Happy

MyFico forum raid? JK

LOL!!!

Message 14 of 24
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:

In most cases, higher limits are NOT a bad thing.

There are a few scenarios where high limits can be a bad thing however.

1. People with absolutely zero self control of finance management skills. People in this category ought to steer clear of debt entirely, or simply limit how much they can borrow. 

2. People with limited income. High limits and low income can sometimes be a bad combination, especially for people with not-so-established credit history. It may make other lenders wary about issuing anymore credit or loans. YMMV situation on this.

3. People with high limits on nonsensical cards can end up "hurting" them instead. Their income starts to become a limiting factor simply because of the amount of credit they have on those (almost) useless cards, and because of that, they're denied of credit on cards that are actually much better for them.

+1. Some great advice here.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 15 of 24
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

higher limits=lower utilization (if not carrying high balances)

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 16 of 24
TheConductor
Established Contributor

This kind of wrong-headedness couched in the stubborn belief of being right demonstrates what I have long insisted: Credit Management should be a standard 1-semester class in every high school currciulum.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 17 of 24
Kratos-TM
Frequent Contributor

Let's talk about this in terms of a lender........he/she sees that you have 100K worth of credit but you're not using it (accounts zero'd out). Does this lender say, "this guy really manages his credit well, or this guy has too much potential for trouble?"

To me, if you've had these cards for "years" and they're still at 0, then that should be a big POSITIVE towards you, but a lender might see that differently.....

Let's look at the opposite......you have a very high income and your available credit is very low.......does the lender say to himself, "no one trusts this guy with credit, or this guy is very cautious about seeking credit"....?

At what point is available credit a positive for the applicant.........???

Myfico scores.....
EX... 805 (11-10-13)
EQ... 810 (12-02-13)
TU... 810 (12-02-13)
Message 18 of 24
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Just having higher limits is not bad for you. However, how you utilize those limits is what can make a bad situation.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 19 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@frugalQ wrote:
Just having higher limits is not bad for you. However, how you utilize those limits is what can make a bad situation.

Well, a post from today showing it can be "bad" without using them.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Barclay-closed-my-account/td-p/2411411

Barclays closed the card because the poster had too much available credit.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.