Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this true about AMEX AU?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this true about AMEX AU?

Hi everyone, 

I'm very new to this game and to this forum! 

I read on nerdwallet two things and wanted to confirm if this is true with you knowledgable folks here. 

1) Is it true that AMEX reports the AU as an actual account holder to the 3 Credit agencies?

2) Is it true that the date when AU is added is not backdated, but rather it starts on the day AU was added to AMEX?

Thank you. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Re: Is this true about AMEX AU?

Being added as an AU will show on your CR but the impact will be minimal. It helps but you would need to establish your own credit as well.

@ Mods - This may be in the wrong section.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 2 of 13
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Welcome to the forums.

1. Amex Authorized user’s will report to that persons credit report but not as the actual individual account. It will be listed as an Authorized User. The trade line can help or hurt your score depending on the information contained about that trade line.
It will affect your score less then if it were your own account.

2. Amex no longer backdates anything new. If you get added to an account that is 4 years old, it will report as a brand new account on your CR.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, thank you!

Nerdwallet reported it wrong then!

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Half right half wrong.
Message 5 of 13
jim44
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok, thank you!

Nerdwallet reported it wrong then!

You should be sure to check out the date the article was written.  Situations change with lenders constantly IME

Message 6 of 13
BH1985
Regular Contributor

From 2014 to 2016 I was an authorized user on my dad’s Amex account and it never showed on my credit reports.

At the time the only card I had in my name was a Comenity store card. I’ve since read that if you don’t have a general use credit card of your own Amex may not report your AU account to the credit bureaus.
Message 7 of 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@BH1985 I don't believe that would be correct.  If it was by chance an Amex business or corporate card, they do not appear on personal credit reports (unless delinquent) and if for some reason a match was not made between you and your credit files then a personal card would not show.  But otherwise there is no reason that a personal card would not show on a personal credit report, and in 2014 the card would still have been backdated.

Message 8 of 13
BH1985
Regular Contributor

Come to think of it, it was a business card.
Message 9 of 13
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@BH1985 wrote:
Come to think of it, it was a business card.

That'd be the reason.  Amex doesn't report to personal for primary or authorized user on business cards as long as the account is in good standings.   Should their be a default then the primary will get a personal ding for it...not sure about AU.  

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.