Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Isn't AF worth it for all cards?

tag
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

Re: Isn't AF worth it for all cards?

To the OP: Not all cards. Of course if you use the perks that outweighs the AF then obviously it is well worth it. If you know you can't, then you shouldn't get one. But then there are the Premier 1 bank cards that give you NO rewards and have $150 AFs on them. Those cards try to sucker the unknown/naive customer in who have no credit who thinks they need this card. Those cards aren't worth it Smiley Surprised

Personally, my sister thought I was CRAZY paying $95 AF for my Chase card. When she found out I went to paris (worth $1500 roundtrip ticket) for free using points, she got one herself after teaching her the "game". =)

Message 11 of 20
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

deciding on an AF is sort of like spending money on a business venture. you have to decide if the money you are spending is worth the profit return. i don't make 100k a year, so i know spending money on an AF card is more than foolish in my standards.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 12 of 20
Ailee92

10,000 skymiles are NOT worth anywhere close to $100 aka Skypesos for a reason

Message 13 of 20
cowboyguy
Regular Contributor

Ailee92,

Speak for yourself.

I didn't get your point. 10,000 points "are" equal to $100
Walmart Discover $10,000... Chase SW $8,500... Freedom $7,000... CSP $6,000... Amex Delta $3,000... Amex BCP $2,000... Local CU $1,500...
Message 14 of 20
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@cowboyguy wrote:

Chase Southwest Card - Gives 6000 bonus points on anniversary which is worth $100. Annual Fee is $99.

Amex Delta Gold - I think gives 10,000 bonus points on anniversary which is worth$100. Annual fee is $95.

The list goes on and on for different airlines, hotels etc.

The bonus points almost always cover the AF. My question is, why do people seem to be bothered all the time about the AF for credit cards?

If you reap enough rewards to cover the AF, yes it is worth it. If you don't, then it isn't. It really is that simple.Smiley Wink

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 15 of 20
PDXoriginal
Regular Contributor

I think the OP is confused, there really isn't any card that gives a reoccuring bonus year after year that covers the annual fee....

Message 16 of 20
john398
Senior Contributor

Does Chase Disney Prefered give a bonus annually ? I never looked into that

Message 17 of 20
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@PDXoriginal wrote:

I think the OP is confused, there really isn't any card that gives a reoccuring bonus year after year that covers the annual fee....

Without digging too deep in my wallet my Chase Priority Club card gives me one free night at any property worldwide for a $49 AF. Even a lowly Holiday Inn in Podunkville is more than that for one night. I can also stay at an ICH in Istanbul on the same free night certificate. Pretty sweet. And yes, that reoccurring year after year. Plus Platinum status as long as you hold the card (free upgrades to nicer rooms etc.). I will never give that card up. 

Delta Reserve gives me a free companion pass every year as well, good for up to first class companion seat. That works out to cover my AF on that card as long as the flight is east to west cost. Book wisely and it pays off. 

Now if you want to get smart and game the system some just call on month 11 and ask to cancel. I can bet you get a retention offer especially if you talk some polite smack (I would love to keep my Delta card buy United has some great offers and rewards...). Poof - instant mile or point bonuses or statement credit for part if not all of the AF. 

Message 18 of 20
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Problem is that airline miles card earn only "1" mile per dollar spent for non airline purchases.  Other cards are more valuable for non-bonus spending.

At bonus spending, CSP (and others) earn 2X for all travel with points that can transfer to SW, UA and others.  So, aside from buying 6,000 miles for $99, there is *NO* rational reason to ever use the SW or Delta card, since a plethora of other travel cards all earn superior rewards.

Only reason for a airline card are the premium high annual fee ones with special privileges, e.g. UA Club, Delta Reserve, Citi Exec AA.  And, only if you have brand loyalty and fly the ariline almost exclusively.

On the surface it appears to be a good deal, but it really isn't if you have other options.

Some of the "lower" AF ones (around $100) also offer benefits like a free checked bag. This may pay for the AF if one travels with enough bags (2-4 per year).

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 19 of 20
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

@PDXoriginal wrote:

Without digging too deep in my wallet my Chase Priority Club card gives me one free night at any property worldwide for a $49 AF. Even a lowly Holiday Inn in Podunkville is more than that for one night. I can also stay at an ICH in Istanbul on the same free night certificate. Pretty sweet. And yes, that reoccurring year after year. Plus Platinum status as long as you hold the card (free upgrades to nicer rooms etc.). I will never give that card up. 

Delta Reserve gives me a free companion pass every year as well, good for up to first class companion seat. That works out to cover my AF on that card as long as the flight is east to west cost. Book wisely and it pays off. 

Now if you want to get smart and game the system some just call on month 11 and ask to cancel. I can bet you get a retention offer especially if you talk some polite smack (I would love to keep my Delta card buy United has some great offers and rewards...). Poof - instant mile or point bonuses or statement credit for part if not all of the AF. 

+1. Lots of cards offer an annual bonus equal or greater than the AF.

Chase Marriott Premier

Chase Hyatt

Chase Priority Club

U.S. Bank Club Carlson

Barclays US Airways (the old version with 10k bonus miles per year)

While the above are automatic, there's another group that gives value based on your spending and travel patterns:

1. Low-AF airline cards for free bags, discounts on mileage redemptions, etc. UA Explorer, Amex Delta cards, Citi's AA Select, BofA's Alaska airlines, etc. fit into this category.

2. Low-AF hotel cards for status, free internet and breakfast, etc. Amex Hilton Surpass and Citi Hilton Reserve, Chase Fairmont, fall into this category, among others.

3. Cards that offer fringe benefits like the JPM Ritz, cards with PPS or Lounge club, etc.

It really depends on the individual, but the "reoccurring bonus" can take on many forms other than simply miles or points.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.