Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issuer: AMEX Bank FSB vs. AMEX Centurion Bank

tag
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

Issuer: AMEX Bank FSB vs. AMEX Centurion Bank

While bored earlier today, I clicked on "Card Agreements" at the bottom of the AMEX web site.  For each type of card, I am asked to select the issuer of the card and can pick from "American Express Bank, FSB" and "American Express Centurion Bank."

I know from accessing my specific CMA from within the online account management that all three of my cards are issued by American Express Centurion Bank.  I'm wondering what the difference is -- if anything -- and what determines whether a card is issued by "American Express Bank, FSB" or "American Express Centurion Bank?"

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Guava
Established Contributor

Re: Issuer: AMEX Bank FSB vs. AMEX Centurion Bank

AMEX bank FSB is for mortgages, loans, bank and deposit products and services. 

AMEX Centurion is for credit cards and charge cards

AFAIK

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

@Guava wrote:

AFAIK

Interesting.  If that's the case, I wonder why FSB would issue credit and charge cards as well?  There's obviously a separate product offering somewhere since there's a distinct Cardmember Agreement depending which part of AMEX has issued the card.

Waaaaay back when, the American Express Internet Banking product issued checks and AMEX debit cards branded as American Express Centurion Bank.  I think I might still have them in the archives around here somewhere.  Decent banking product.

Message 3 of 4
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@steve23111 wrote:

@Guava wrote:

AFAIK

Interesting.  If that's the case, I wonder why FSB would issue credit and charge cards as well?  There's obviously a separate product offering somewhere since there's a distinct Cardmember Agreement depending which part of AMEX has issued the card.

Waaaaay back when, the American Express Internet Banking product issued checks and AMEX debit cards branded as American Express Centurion Bank.  I think I might still have them in the archives around here somewhere.  Decent banking product.

I believe Amex created the FSB so they could qualify to receive TARP funds in 2008 -- same with Discover and a few other credit card issuers and mortgage banks.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.