Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issuers that have canceled on me/ones that haven’t

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Issuers that have canceled on me/ones that haven’t

Kind of "for reference" for those that may be applying for new cards etc. I realize one issuer may treat me great while not so much to someone else, so it all varies. Keep in mind I have low utilization overall and reports are clean. I probably owe around 3k total on credit cards 

A) canceled accounts 

1) chase: it was weird since they recently approved me for another card but then they canceled everything on me before I even got the new card. Maybe that new app pushed things. I had around 10k credit limits with chase plus the new 5k card I never got 

2) citi. Had a Best Buy card with zero balance recently paid it off. They canceled right after I paid it off (a few hundred) 

3) barclay. It was the American Airlines card that used to be the usairways card so I've had it a long time. It was almost always pay in full and any balance I carried was no longer than 3 months after they gave me a low rate offer for 6 months. Before that i wasn't using the card much. Maybe once a month for 20 bucks. Low use was probably a factor 

b) the good ones so far. 

1) Bank of America. 20k limit that's pay in full and I usually don't use even half of the limit. Bank of America hasn't made any changes and let's me still use it without issue 

2) discover. They recently gave me an extra $1000 so they have beeen good also 

3) Amex did lower my limit but after calling they restored most of the limit and then eventually got it to more than I originally had. Good overall in the end 

4) us bank/elan. This is my powerhouse issuer. I have 3 cards. One a basic elan with a fairly low limit. The other two are the fidelity card with 60k limit. The other is the bmw MasterCard they recently acquired from bmw financial. It's at 30k limit and they are letting me use it without any issues. I have just shy of 100k limits with us bank/elan so definitely my favorite issuer right now if I had to choose one

5) Merriick bank. This used to be a hooters card but turned into a regular Merrick card. Currently at 15k and this card limit really grew with me. It started out low but I've had it probably close to 15 years now  give or take. Out of the typical rebuilder card companies merrick has been the best in my experience for credit limit growth. 

6) capital one. Decent overall but they seem to not want to grow as much as others but have always restored any limit changes over the years after I call. 

may have forgotten a card but overall my problem issuers have been chase citi and barclay. Other than that it's smooth sailing 

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Stralem
Established Contributor

Re: Issuers that have canceled on me/ones that haven’t

Any data points to share? As much as they get dumped on by some, Chase won't flat out cancel a customer without reason.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 2 of 18
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Stralem wrote:

Any data points to share? As much as they get dumped on by some, Chase won't flat out cancel a customer without reason.

I agree there must be explanations for the AA they just don't close accounts for no reason.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Stralem wrote:

I thought this was relatively common now when two chase cards are apped for within a short interval.

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

not completely sure. only 2 things I can think of would be applying for a new card, and would buying some gift cards cause issues? Seems like with Amex they caused issues for some, is it the same with chase? Other than that not sure. Will prob call chase today to see what happened 

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd definitely seek to understand why you're seeing AA across a handful of lenders. Although this board is certainly only a small snapshot, I haven't seen any common lender decreases (yet?). In fact, if you were to use this board as a current temperature of lender behavior, it could be argued that we are seeing more CLIs reported by members than we are CLDs. 

Again, at this point I would look internally at your reports and financial situation for an explanation than I would blaming it on the current financial climate. 

Message 6 of 18
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

not completely sure. only 2 things I can think of would be applying for a new card, and would buying some gift cards cause issues? Seems like with Amex they caused issues for some, is it the same with chase? Other than that not sure. Will prob call chase today to see what happened 

Did you buy gift cards to hit a SUB?

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not with chase. Was able to convince chase to reopen with a lower limit but I'm happy with that. 

According to their analyst high credit lines on other cards scared them. 

On the news they mentioned that the issuers still need to offer credit since their business is credit and loans etc but will be more conservative for at least the next few months 

My heavy hitter is us bank/elan and the ones I want to keep the most. I have 120k in credit lines on 3 cards with them 

Message 8 of 18
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not with chase. Was able to convince chase to reopen with a lower limit but I'm happy with that. 

According to their analyst high credit lines on other cards scared them. 

On the news they mentioned that the issuers still need to offer credit since their business is credit and loans etc but will be more conservative for at least the next few months 

Great news! Congrats!!

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Synchrony only one who wouldn't budge

Had some accounts closed on me and turns out after making some calls was able to get them all reopened, although not quite the credit lines I had, but that's fine with me. 

Synchrony is only one that wouldn't but it wasn't my favorite so no big loss. 

If others have had closures it may be worthwhile to call and see what they can do. 

As a sidenote, a friend used to work for synchrony and they told me the bank has some of the highest burn, charge off rates they had ever seen in there 20 year history in banking. May explain why the bank is the way they are 

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.