cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It Finally Happened!! A Pre-Approved Offer in the Mail!

tag
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

It Finally Happened!! A Pre-Approved Offer in the Mail!

So I went to check the mail yesterday, like I always do, and saw this mailer for a Citi Double Cash card. I gave it to my fiance because I've literally never received any of these targeted offers, except from Credit One and other predatory lenders. He constantly gets offers from Wells Fargo, Chase, Bank of America, etc. He hands it back to me and was like "Uhh this is for you." OMG YOU GUYS!!! This is my first every pre-approval mailer from a big bank!! I know it's something silly to be excited about, but I know you guys would totally understand how I'm feeling. Smiley LOL

I'm not going to just jump the gun and apply for it, but I'm curious to know what the starting limit on these cards usually is? Like I said, it's the Citi Double Cash. I have waayyy too many new accounts in the past year, so I'm going to be gardening for quite some time. All of my new accounts just hit over 3 months and I saw a nice little bump from that, so I'm going to leave well enough alone and see what more gardening does to my scores. Plus, I already have 2 cards that give me 2% cash back.

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: It Finally Happened!! A Pre-Approved Offer in the Mail!

3-7k SL's typically for this card depending on profile. I would guess around 3-4k. Just a guess though.  It builds nicely over time by SP CLI's every 6 months of if you want to take another HP down line.. Mine started at 6 or 7 k took a few sp cli's then a hp and at 25k now.. could of gone higher, but worked for me.

Message 2 of 24
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

I know you guys would totally understand how I'm feeling. Smiley LOL

I totally get that feeling, congrats!!!! (you have arrived)

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 3 of 24
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Citi tends to send a variety of pre-selected and pre-approved offers fairly often. That said, the pre-selected invitation is not a pre-approved offer. It will contain similar opt-out language, set APR, but it's not as solid as the pre-approved ones, just FYI.

All things being equal, if you have a fairly solid profile then it's likely that you could be approved. But, you can also check their online pre-qualification tool to compare results.

However, it's definitely a plus that you're at least on their radar for some of these offers. .
Message 4 of 24
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:
Citi tends to send a variety of pre-selected and pre-approved offers fairly often. That said, the pre-selected invitation is not a pre-approved offer. It will contain similar opt-out language, set APR, but it's not as solid as the pre-approved ones, just FYI.

All things being equal, if you have a fairly solid profile then it's likely that you could be approved. But, you can also check their online pre-qualification tool to compare results.

However, it's definitely a plus that you're at least on their radar for some of these offers. .

That's definitely good to know! I have checked the pre-qual on the website and have gotten offers on there as well, but it's just nice to get a physical piece of paper in the mail from them lol. 

I think I was pre-approved for the Double Cash and the Simplicity. I've never banked with Citi, however, I'm not opposed to the possibility of opening a card with them down the line. Especially since they do SP CLI's like some other people posted above. 

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s definitely exciting when you start getting those. I haven’t gotten one since I got my BBVA card in December but I also can’t stop hitting that apply button to get my fix 🤣 

I entered the garden in December and I’ve never made it past a bronze spade. I just got this one from my shenanigans last month today. 😅

Message 6 of 24
rgate88
Regular Contributor

I finally got my credit under control over the last year that allowed me to get my first mortgage in October 2018. Like yourself, I only got pre-approval offers from predatory lenders. Then a few months after my mortgage posted, I started getting offers left and right. I got one for the DC and was approved for $2,300, when most of my limits were around $2k (minus my QS which was at $4,500 after starting at $1,000 as a QS1). Then I got a Citi Simplicity to do a BT and they gave me $13k as a limit! Then after that approval, I got two more pre-approval notices. One for an AA Citi card, and the other was a Citi DC (who needs two of these?). 

Congrats to you! Enjoy filling your shredder with plenty of useless notices!

CO Platinum - $500; CO Quicksilver - $2,000; Marcus GM BuyPower - $700; Target MC - $9,000; Chase Amazon Prime - $17,300; PNC Core - $27,000; Citi DoubleCash - $8,300 - AmEx Everyday - $2,500 (was $20,000); Citi Simplicity - $25,500; Chase World of Hyatt - $17,300; PayPal LOC - $10,000; PNC Cash Rewards - $36,000; U.S. Bank Altitude Go - $15,000; AmEx Platinum - NPSL ($7,800 POT); Elan Max Cash (Alliance CU) - $25,000; Alliance CU LOC - $2,000; BMO Harris Cash Back (Was Bank of the West Cash Back) - $3,000; (Closed Block-Fi - $15,000 RIP); Wells Fargo Autograph Visa - $10,000; Chase Freedom Flex - $20,300; Venmo - $15,000; AllTru LOC - $10,000

Business Trade Lines - Chase Ink Cash - $4,000 (original limit $19,600); Chase Ink Preferred - $10,000; AmEx BBP - $5,500; Hilton Honors Business - $5,000; FNBO Evergreen Business - $15,000; Elan Business Visa (Alliance CU) - $20,000; Citi Business AAdvantage Platinum Select - $16,000; Marcus GM Business - $2,500; Kabbage LOC - $9,500; Marriott Bonvoy Business - $14,600; Barclays AAdvantage Aviator WE Business - $14,000; IHG Rewards Premier Business - $5,000; Delta Platinum Business - $16,400; Edward Jones Business (Elan) - $2,000

Total CLI - $395,900
Message 7 of 24
Eugeniuss1

I was approved for this card in May with lower scores than you currently have. Limit was $4500. I did not receive a mailer but was preapproved on their site.

Message 8 of 24
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Congrats! And congrats on your willpower lol  It is a great card, but if you already have a 2% card, there’s really no reason to add the DC. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 9 of 24
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It’s definitely exciting when you start getting those. I haven’t gotten one since I got my BBVA card in December but I also can’t stop hitting that apply button to get my fix 🤣 

I entered the garden in December and I’ve never made it past a bronze spade. I just got this one from my shenanigans last month today. 😅

My trigger finger is getting itchy again! I'm just trying to grow the cards I have (minus the CapOne since I'm bucketed with $500 forever). I don't think I'll be able to do that if I keep applying for new ones. Every time I'm denied, it's because I have too many recent open accounts. We can do this! We can pass that bronze beauty! HAHA

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.