cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It Finally Happened!! A Pre-Approved Offer in the Mail!

tag
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

Re: It Finally Happened!! A Pre-Approved Offer in the Mail!

@pinkandgrey wrote:

Congrats! And congrats on your willpower lol  It is a great card, but if you already have a 2% card, there’s really no reason to add the DC. 

Thanks! It's taking a lot of personal strength to not say "Screw It" and apply for it. Smiley LOL All but like 2 of my inquiries will be unscorable by Sept./Oct. so I'm going to wait til at least that time. 

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It’s definitely exciting when you start getting those. I haven’t gotten one since I got my BBVA card in December but I also can’t stop hitting that apply button to get my fix 🤣 

I entered the garden in December and I’ve never made it past a bronze spade. I just got this one from my shenanigans last month today. 😅

My trigger finger is getting itchy again! I'm just trying to grow the cards I have (minus the CapOne since I'm bucketed with $500 forever). I don't think I'll be able to do that if I keep applying for new ones. Every time I'm denied, it's because I have too many recent open accounts. We can do this! We can pass that bronze beauty! HAHA

I know the feeling. I have added way too many cards. I think I’m done for a while now that I got my SavorOne though. The two goal cards I have are both new account sensitive so it’s forced gardening. 

Message 12 of 24
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@rgate88 wrote:

I finally got my credit under control over the last year that allowed me to get my first mortgage in October 2018. Like yourself, I only got pre-approval offers from predatory lenders. Then a few months after my mortgage posted, I started getting offers left and right. I got one for the DC and was approved for $2,300, when most of my limits were around $2k (minus my QS which was at $4,500 after starting at $1,000 as a QS1). Then I got a Citi Simplicity to do a BT and they gave me $13k as a limit! Then after that approval, I got two more pre-approval notices. One for an AA Citi card, and the other was a Citi DC (who needs two of these?). 

Congrats to you! Enjoy filling your shredder with plenty of useless notices!

Well congrats on building your credit! It's taken me almost 1 year to get to where I'm at now. Like yourself, I'm trying to better my credit so the fiance and I can buy a house. 

Those are amazing limits!! I think after you have a mortgage, banks start realizing that you can be responsible with your credit. I know if I applied, I'd be stuck with a small SL because I have too many recent accounts open. I've actually been wanting this card, but since I have 2 other 2% cards, there's really no need, I guess. 

I'm excited to see what other offers I start getting! I will happily fill my shredder with those mailers. Heart

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Offers are nice... knowing the game is better.  Even though they sent the offer you might get an auto denial if you're over 6/6.. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/67u9q0/guide_antichurning_rules/

Citi is alright but, they're not impressive like how other lenders perform for CL's.  I started w/ a Premier and got approved for 8K and hit the HP at activation for another 5K.  Since then it's been 2K every 6 months since data on the HP again has been a bit scattered for what they'll hand out.  Also picked up a DC 6 months after and the exact same situation 8+5K at activation.

They're pretty consistent until this last SP attempt they threw a wrench at me w/ a denial for too many recent accounts instead of the normal 2K bump.

Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

My mom applied for this card after receiving a mail offer, her scores were around 650 with several inquiries and new accounts and around 50% utilization. She was approved but for only $500. She also has a low income around $20k so that may have had something to do with it as well.
Message 15 of 24
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

So I went to check the mail yesterday, like I always do, and saw this mailer for a Citi Double Cash card. I gave it to my fiance because I've literally never received any of these targeted offers, except from Credit One and other predatory lenders. He constantly gets offers from Wells Fargo, Chase, Bank of America, etc. He hands it back to me and was like "Uhh this is for you." OMG YOU GUYS!!! This is my first every pre-approval mailer from a big bank!! I know it's something silly to be excited about, but I know you guys would totally understand how I'm feeling. Smiley LOL

I'm not going to just jump the gun and apply for it, but I'm curious to know what the starting limit on these cards usually is? Like I said, it's the Citi Double Cash. I have waayyy too many new accounts in the past year, so I'm going to be gardening for quite some time. All of my new accounts just hit over 3 months and I saw a nice little bump from that, so I'm going to leave well enough alone and see what more gardening does to my scores. Plus, I already have 2 cards that give me 2% cash back.

It gives you nothing beyond what you already have in the PenFed and PayPal cards; so forget about it.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 16 of 24
vic6string
Regular Contributor

Congrats. The little victories sometimes make the biggest difference. Later on when you have established yourself and you are getting preapprovals for the big cards, they probably won't feel as good as this did. I am looking forward to getting these types of letters again (BK13 still sitting on my CR for another couple of years). Now I just wish Discover and Capital One would stop sending me preapprovals for cards I already have!

Message 17 of 24
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@vic6string wrote:

Congrats. The little victories sometimes make the biggest difference. Later on when you have established yourself and you are getting preapprovals for the big cards, they probably won't feel as good as this did. I am looking forward to getting these types of letters again (BK13 still sitting on my CR for another couple of years). Now I just wish Discover and Capital One would stop sending me preapprovals for cards I already have!

Thank you! I feel like I've reached a milestone. I've never received any pre-approvals from CapOne or Discover lol. Except on the website right before I applied, but nothing since.

Message 18 of 24
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

It gives you nothing beyond what you already have in the PenFed and PayPal cards; so forget about it.

Exactly! I don't plan on closing my PenFed or PayPal MC anytime soon. I already shredded the mailer and trashed it. Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

@vic6string wrote:

Thank you! I feel like I've reached a milestone. I've never received any pre-approvals from CapOne or Discover lol. Except on the website right before I applied, but nothing since.

Don't lay awake at night on pre-approvals or whatever. Apply for what works for you. Never get mail or online approvals and still get what works for me. However, that Citi Double Cash is certainly mighty tempting Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.