cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Itch to close some and apply... Any suggestions?

tag
jefftca925
Established Contributor

Re: Itch to close some and apply... Any suggestions?

@smc733 wrote:

Not exactly true.  Many mortgage lenders will ask people to close a few trade lines if they have too many, or are extended too much credit.  When prepping for a mortgage, it is best to get rid of as many unused/un-needed tradelines as possible.  They'll still help AAoA for 10 years, too.

I have NEVER heard of a mortgage lender EVER advising someone they needed to close CC accounts.  If someone's utilization was too high they might suggest that they pay down their balances to help their FICO scoring but to close them all together have not heard that.   And I know from experience...  Smiley Wink (was advised the exact opposite).

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a loan officer and I can tell you that you need to be careful when it comes to closing tradelines.  It could benefit your credit to close some of the accounts, but it also can hurt you.

example:  you have 10 open tradelines that have an average history of 60 months and don't owe more than 50% on any of them, then you decide to close a 5mth old credit line.  this would most likely help your score.

example:  you have 7 open tradelines with a much newer credit history of an average of 14mths, then you close out a line that you haven't used in awhile but it was your oldest card with 70 mths.  this might hurt your credit.

and if we are talking about less than 5 tradelines then keep them all open and debt should be at 50% or less.

for more help let me know

[Edited to remove personal information] -Marinevietvet, myFICO moderator

Message 12 of 14
smc733
Valued Contributor

I've quite commonly heard of mortgage lenders saying 

"your credit is fine, but you have so much available credit compared to your income, you pose a risk with this mortgage unless you lower that"

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 13 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@smc733 wrote:

I've quite commonly heard of mortgage lenders saying 

"your credit is fine, but you have so much available credit compared to your income, you pose a risk with this mortgage unless you lower that"

I've heard of this, although I don't recall hearing (or reading) this from someone who actually went through it.  Smiley Wink I'm beginning to think that it's one of those Internet legends that just go on and on, like the one about how FICO stopped scoring AU accounts 2 years ago (they didn't.)

And six cards, as the OP has, is pretty much nuthin' these days. Smiley Very Happy

Anyway, when it comes to getting ready for a mortgage, I wouldn't try to guess what lenders would want, other than having debt paid off and savings piled up. If a lender wanted me to close perfectly good accounts with spotless history, I'd first think about getting a different lender, but otherwise, I'd only close something if I was specifically told to do so.

I can barely keep up with my own mind any more, much less try to read the minds of lenders...  Smiley Tongue

Meanwhile, OP, the usual advice is not to close cards unless there's a fee, or you've got too many to keep track of and you're sweating losing track of payments, or there's just something so spectacularly annoying about one that you know that you will be a happier individual after kicking it to the curb. You might check out fused's Closing Credit Cards for some perspective (don't remember if anyone referenced that.)

Also don't remember if anyone mentioned this one (see, I said I was losing my mind), but as other rewards cards cut back --PenFed, for one Smiley Sad --Chase Freedom is looking better. The basic 1% is eh, but sometimes the quarterly rewards are fantastic. They've had six months in a row (two quarters) of 5% cash back on groceries, and they're currently giving 5% cash back on drugstores as well.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.