cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Itching for a new CC, help me decide....

tag
TTR79
Established Member

Itching for a new CC, help me decide....

Ok, guys/gals....I haven't been here in quite some time but i've recently gotten the CC bug and need some advice.  I purchased my first home last october and have recently (April maybe??) gotten a CC through the same bank with a CL of 6500....also picked up a lowes card (no interest 6 months on my purchase) bc i needed a lawn mower.  BTW being a homeowner gets real expensive, real quick.  My latest TU was 742....pulled when I bought my new to me wrangler last month, haven't checked any others.  Wow, after putting all this in black and white in front  of me, looks like i've been busy.  Anyway, i've been thinking about a new CC.  My current card, BBT Platinum, has 12 months no interest.  Should I wait until closer to that year being up before I go shopping for another no interest promo??  I want a "boss" (that seems to be popular kid slang these days....so i used it :-) ) credit card.  What should my goal be??  What card should I go after??  Rewards would be nice but not a must.  Give me your ideas, advice....whatever you can!!  If i'm being stupid, just say so!!  Thanks in advance guys.

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Itching for a new CC, help me decide....

@TTR79 wrote:

Ok, guys/gals....I haven't been here in quite some time but i've recently gotten the CC bug and need some advice.  I purchased my first home last october and have recently (April maybe??) gotten a CC through the same bank with a CL of 6500....also picked up a lowes card (no interest 6 months on my purchase) bc i needed a lawn mower.  BTW being a homeowner gets real expensive, real quick.  My latest TU was 742....pulled when I bought my new to me wrangler last month, haven't checked any others.  Wow, after putting all this in black and white in front  of me, looks like i've been busy.  Anyway, i've been thinking about a new CC.  My current card, BBT Platinum, has 12 months no interest.  Should I wait until closer to that year being up before I go shopping for another no interest promo??  I want a "boss" (that seems to be popular kid slang these days....so i used it :-) ) credit card.  What should my goal be??  What card should I go after??  Rewards would be nice but not a must.  Give me your ideas, advice....whatever you can!!  If i'm being stupid, just say so!!  Thanks in advance guys.

Depending on your definition, I don't think that any 0% interest cards are "boss"!   A boss card says "Look at me.  I am important.  I don't worry about little-people things like annual fees and APR.  Or money, because I have LOTS$$$.   Hey, keep looking at me."   But maybe there are some sufficiently boss enough.

Message 2 of 29
eagles08
Regular Contributor

i think you'd like the AMEX Blue Cash Everyday!
AMEX BCE- $12,600 I Discover IT- $10,000 I Chase Freedom- $7,000 I Citi Double Cash- $3,300 I Best Buy- $2,800 I Bayport CU Visa- $1,000
Message 3 of 29
TTR79
Established Member

i don't even know what boss means, really.  i'm old and out of touch....just sayin'. :-)  If i had to define boss in relation to a CC and my situation....it would be no annual fee, no interest for a at least a year, low apr, no or very low fee on balance transfers, and one where i'd have a decent chance on getting a nice CL.  BUT, like i said im old and boss really isnt in vocab, unless we are talking about the BOSS Mustang....well, then i can get down with that.  :-)

Message 4 of 29
TTR79
Established Member

That card looks nice!!  Any experience with it personally??  I'm not very familiar with AMEX and their biz pratice.  Are the less likely to give a larger CL than say a Chase or CITI??  thanks!!

Message 5 of 29
NewtoCredit80
Frequent Contributor

I would suggest Chase CSP. It is a metal card which has impressed many members. I would recommend you wait 6 months and apply. Your home related inquiry would stop affecting your score by that time. If 0% apr is important then apply for Citi Simplicity card with 18 monht 0% apr.

PNC Secured 2000 (Dec12), Chase Amazon 2000 (Apr13), CapOne Newcomer 2500 (May13), Citi dividend 3000 (May13), Discover IT 1000 (Jul13), Amex BCP 6000 (Jul13), Chase Southwest 10000 (Jul13), Chase Marriott 12000 (Oct 13), BofA Travel Rewards 5000 (Dec13)

- In garden till Dec 2014
Message 6 of 29
angelcred10
Regular Contributor

@NewtoCredit80 wrote:

I would Chase CSP. It is a metal card which has impressed many members. I would recommend you wait 6 months and apply. Your home related inquiry would stop affecting your score by that time. If 0% apr is important then apply for Citi Simplicity card with 18 monht 0% apr.

well, the CSP is a annual fee after the first year according to the website.

the chase sapphire is the one I think you mean..

Starting Score: 635 Current Score: 659 Discover Pull
Goal Score:720s
Tried to use Images but it was all Wibbly, Wobbly, and Timey-Wimey.
Message 7 of 29
NewtoCredit80
Frequent Contributor

I do not think Chase Sapphire is a metal card. I am not sure about it. CSP is a metal card with annual fee but comes with a 400 dollar bonus.

PNC Secured 2000 (Dec12), Chase Amazon 2000 (Apr13), CapOne Newcomer 2500 (May13), Citi dividend 3000 (May13), Discover IT 1000 (Jul13), Amex BCP 6000 (Jul13), Chase Southwest 10000 (Jul13), Chase Marriott 12000 (Oct 13), BofA Travel Rewards 5000 (Dec13)

- In garden till Dec 2014
Message 8 of 29
angelcred10
Regular Contributor

no I know it's not metal but it doesn't have an annual fee.

Starting Score: 635 Current Score: 659 Discover Pull
Goal Score:720s
Tried to use Images but it was all Wibbly, Wobbly, and Timey-Wimey.
Message 9 of 29
TTR79
Established Member

The AMEX Blue Cash Everyday looks promising.  What do you guys know or think about the USAA Reward AMEX??  I know it's not a "real" AMEX, only processed through AMEX but it looks like an awesome card.

• 0% Intro APR until 01/01/2015, on Balance Transfers and Convenience Checks that post to your account by 08/31/2013. After 01/01/2015, your Annual Percentage Rate (APR) on these balances will be 12.90% APR. This rate will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate. Each balance transfer and convenience check has a 3% transaction fee.
  • A low 12.90% APR on purchases and cash advances. This rate will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate.
  • 2,500 bonus points after your first purchase.
  • No annual fee and zero liability for unauthorized transactions.
  • Earn 2X points on gas and grocery purchases while earning 1 point per dollar on your other purchases. Getting 2X points is not an introductory offer. 1 

What do y'all think??

Also, i've gotten from one of you that I should wait a few more months before throwing anymore apps.  Do you all feel this way or think Id be good going with it??

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.