cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JC Penney credit card

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Highlighted
New Member

JC Penney credit card

I previously had a jcp credit card back in 2005 when I just started to biuld my credit. Being 18 years old and not really knowing how all the credit thing worked. I ended up in collections and paid off the debt as charge off. Now i am trying to re build my credit and i decided to try to open another jcp card since i ve been doing a lot of shopping there. My credit score has been improving went from really low 500's to Experian 600 Transunion 602 and Equifax 610. After paying off 1 car loan, up to date and no late payments on my student loans, and no late payments on my current car loan. I was approved for $500 CL. Which surprised me. I would like to try for a credit card... Any suggestions? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: JC Penney credit card

Capital One is your best chance for approval with those scores.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


No apps/new accts since 2011

***FICO EXPERIAN 830***
***FICO EQUIFAX 828***
***FICO TRANSUNION 822***




Message 2 of 8
Highlighted
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: JC Penney credit card

Congrats to you! They approved me again as well even after I included them in my bankruptcy!! I would wait 3-6 months, garden your JCP card, then apply to capital one for either their quicksilver or platinum  for average credit. Once your JCP card hits your credit reports and a few statements as well, you should see an increase in your score!


My rebuild worked for me, but won't necessarily work for you!
BK7 D/C- 08/2013
Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
Moderator Emeritus

Re: JC Penney credit card


@jes_cer wrote:

I previously had a jcp credit card back in 2005 when I just started to biuld my credit. Being 18 years old and not really knowing how all the credit thing worked. I ended up in collections and paid off the debt as charge off. Now i am trying to re build my credit and i decided to try to open another jcp card since i ve been doing a lot of shopping there. My credit score has been improving went from really low 500's to Experian 600 Transunion 602 and Equifax 610. After paying off 1 car loan, up to date and no late payments on my student loans, and no late payments on my current car loan. I was approved for $500 CL. Which surprised me. I would like to try for a credit card... Any suggestions? 


Congrats!   When JCP sent me a pre-approval nearly 2 years ago, it was a sign that was doing something right finally.   With your current scores, you might be able to pick up some of the easier Commenity store cards; however, if you do this, make sure to only get credit that will be of use to you.   You could look into other rebuilder cards or secured cards.   Or you could just garden JCP for a while.  They will grow with you, as my initial $250 CL turned into $1900 in a year and a half.    



Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 793 (TU08, 2/20/20)
AMEX Cash Magnet $49000 | BofA BBR #1 $43900 | Discover IT $39000 | Uber VS $37000 | BoA BBR #2 $31100 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Sam's Club MC $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Care Credit MC $25000 | Cash+ VS #1 $23500 | GS Apple Card WEMC $20000 | Cap 1 QS WMC $17250 | Cash+ VS #2 $15500 | Freedom VS $15000 | JCP $15000 | Target MC $13000 | Citi Rewards+ $12600 | WF Cash Wise VS $12,000 | Chase AARP $12000 | Sony Card $10250 | Amazon VS $10000 | Marvel MC $10000 | Cap 1 SavorOne WEMC $10000 | PPC $10000 | Disney VS $8800 | Blispay $7500 | Cash Back World WMC $3000 ~~
Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: JC Penney credit card


@SunriseEarth wrote:

Congrats!   When JCP sent me a pre-approval nearly 2 years ago, it was a sign that was doing something right finally.   With your current scores, you might be able to pick up some of the easier Commenity store cards; however, if you do this, make sure to only get credit that will be of use to you.   You could look into other rebuilder cards or secured cards.   Or you could just garden JCP for a while.  They will grow with you, as my initial $250 CL turned into $1900 in a year and a half.    


My DW went to JCP and got the card with only $400 (her lowest limit). She did a chat and they told her that if she asks for a CLI it will be a HP. I read here that JCP is SP, so I don't know if there is any change now that they are no longer GE financial. It will be great if she can get a SP CLI.

Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
Moderator Emeritus

Re: JC Penney credit card


@newhis wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

Congrats!   When JCP sent me a pre-approval nearly 2 years ago, it was a sign that was doing something right finally.   With your current scores, you might be able to pick up some of the easier Commenity store cards; however, if you do this, make sure to only get credit that will be of use to you.   You could look into other rebuilder cards or secured cards.   Or you could just garden JCP for a while.  They will grow with you, as my initial $250 CL turned into $1900 in a year and a half.    


My DW went to JCP and got the card with only $400 (her lowest limit). She did a chat and they told her that if she asks for a CLI it will be a HP. I read here that JCP is SP, so I don't know if there is any change now that they are no longer GE financial. It will be great if she can get a SP CLI.


CSRs don't always know what they're talking about, and some don't even know the difference between HP and SP.  JCP, like the other SyncB retail cards, do periodic SPs for account review and CLIs are based on those and internal scoring.   I would suggest calling the Credit Solutions number in the Backdoor Numbers thread, as they might do a fresh SP for review.  



Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 793 (TU08, 2/20/20)
AMEX Cash Magnet $49000 | BofA BBR #1 $43900 | Discover IT $39000 | Uber VS $37000 | BoA BBR #2 $31100 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Sam's Club MC $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Care Credit MC $25000 | Cash+ VS #1 $23500 | GS Apple Card WEMC $20000 | Cap 1 QS WMC $17250 | Cash+ VS #2 $15500 | Freedom VS $15000 | JCP $15000 | Target MC $13000 | Citi Rewards+ $12600 | WF Cash Wise VS $12,000 | Chase AARP $12000 | Sony Card $10250 | Amazon VS $10000 | Marvel MC $10000 | Cap 1 SavorOne WEMC $10000 | PPC $10000 | Disney VS $8800 | Blispay $7500 | Cash Back World WMC $3000 ~~
Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: JC Penney credit card


@SunriseEarth wrote:

CSRs don't always know what they're talking about, and some don't even know the difference between HP and SP.  JCP, like the other SyncB retail cards, do periodic SPs for account review and CLIs are based on those and internal scoring.   I would suggest calling the Credit Solutions number in the Backdoor Numbers thread, as they might do a fresh SP for review.  


 Thank you. The card just reported the second statement. I read that you can ask for CLI every 4 statements right?

Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
Moderator Emeritus

Re: JC Penney credit card


@newhis wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

CSRs don't always know what they're talking about, and some don't even know the difference between HP and SP.  JCP, like the other SyncB retail cards, do periodic SPs for account review and CLIs are based on those and internal scoring.   I would suggest calling the Credit Solutions number in the Backdoor Numbers thread, as they might do a fresh SP for review.  


 Thank you. The card just reported the second statement. I read that you can ask for CLI every 4 statements right?


Yes, you're eligible to request every 4th statement through the online LUV button or the automated phone system.   Credit Solutions is not strictly 4 statements, but they follow it to some degree.  



Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 793 (TU08, 2/20/20)
AMEX Cash Magnet $49000 | BofA BBR #1 $43900 | Discover IT $39000 | Uber VS $37000 | BoA BBR #2 $31100 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Sam's Club MC $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Care Credit MC $25000 | Cash+ VS #1 $23500 | GS Apple Card WEMC $20000 | Cap 1 QS WMC $17250 | Cash+ VS #2 $15500 | Freedom VS $15000 | JCP $15000 | Target MC $13000 | Citi Rewards+ $12600 | WF Cash Wise VS $12,000 | Chase AARP $12000 | Sony Card $10250 | Amazon VS $10000 | Marvel MC $10000 | Cap 1 SavorOne WEMC $10000 | PPC $10000 | Disney VS $8800 | Blispay $7500 | Cash Back World WMC $3000 ~~
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.