Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JCPenneys/GEMB is such a strange bird!

tag
FicoScore626
Frequent Contributor

JCPenneys/GEMB is such a strange bird!

EVERYTIME I click on the Request a Credit Line increase option at JCP.com I get declined. Always because it was too soon after the last credit line increase. A few weeks after they declined me I clicked on it again recently and was declined again. But this time the letter they sent didn't cite the reason as being too soon, instead, they listed a bunch of other reasons like baddies from years ago. If it's not one thing it's another, lol.. Anyway, I just logged on to the JCPenneys site and saw that they increased me from $1700 to $2100.. And I'm like SWEET but what the hell?? Lol

Why tell me NO only to turn around and give me one anyway? lol

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: JCPenneys/GEMB is such a strange bird!

@FicoScore626 wrote:

EVERYTIME I click on the Request a Credit Line increase option at JCP.com I get declined. Always because it was too soon after the last credit line increase. A few weeks after they declined me I clicked on it again recently and was declined again. But this time the letter they sent didn't cite the reason as being too soon, instead, they listed a bunch of other reasons like baddies from years ago. If it's not one thing it's another, lol.. Anyway, I just logged on to the JCPenneys site and saw that they increased me from $1700 to $2100.. And I'm like SWEET but what the hell?? Lol

Why tell me NO only to turn around and give me one anyway? lol

Do they ever penalize you or take any form of AA for requesting too many times or too often? I just got my JCP card on 4/1, so I don't know all of their nuances yet.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Typically, most GEMB cards will give a CLI after each fourth statement hits.

I've had CLI's refused, but have never had AA for requesting one.

Message 3 of 7
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok, thanks. With only a 200 CL, I'm anxious to go up. I'll just sit tight until 8/1 and then try the luv button.  Smiley Happy

Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tinuviel wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok, thanks. With only a 200 CL, I'm anxious to go up. I'll just sit tight until 8/1 and then try the luv button.  Smiley Happy

Good plan - actually my JCPenney went up nicely, and it seems to for most folks.  IME, GEMB does look at statements, though, not just time.  So I learned to watch for four statements at a certain CL, and then request the CLI anytime after that fourth statement hit.

BTW, did you app online or in store?  IIRC, online apps seemed to come in low, but they would go up after you used them instore???  Someone else who remembers better might chime in on this.

Message 5 of 7
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Good plan - actually my JCPenney went up nicely, and it seems to for most folks.  IME, GEMB does look at statements, though, not just time.  So I learned to watch for four statements at a certain CL, and then request the CLI anytime after that fourth statement hit.

BTW, did you app online or in store?  IIRC, online apps seemed to come in low, but they would go up after you used them instore???  Someone else who remembers better might chime in on this.

I apped online. I had read that JCP usually starts out with low limits but grow nicely over time, so I wasn't upset about the low initial CL. I have used my card in store three or four times since I got it last month... and have PIF; it's currently at a 0 bal. Would it hurt to try the luv button right now?

Message 6 of 7
hedgeclipper2
Frequent Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Mine went from $200 to $1,800 in 4 months. Only used it for a $27 purchase, lol.  Good luck!

-----------------------
My favorite card right now: Fidelity Investment Rewards Visa Signature
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.