Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JP Morgan Chase Removed the Slate Visa Card

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: JP Morgan Chase Removed the Slate Visa Card

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase does have a lot of cards and I don't see what was so special about the Slate (due to lack of standout benefits in terms of rewards or cash back) since they removed the novelty of it being a vertically-oriented card. It wasn't even tempting for the impulse applicants who just wanted something cool in their wallet. So what's left? 

Chase can thin its offerings even more, I see a lot of big names on their co-branded rewards cards that don't really add a lot of value. Disney and Starbucks are two of them. I love and enjoy both, but what you get in return for having to open a new LOC and pay an annual fee is a pittance compare to doing the same with any other rewards card not specifically focused on one merchant. 

The bulk of people will continue to apply for the CSP/CSR, and flagship cards of other banks. The approval odds aren't that drastically different that the average consumer could discern or quantify Chase being more scrutinizing for one product over the other - if they are at all. I've heard about the biz cards locking down but biz cards in general are more strict when dishing out approvals. 

I would agree. Of Chase's cards, some of the weaker ones like Starbucks and Disney are due for either overhaul or move to a new lender since neither offers very exciting benefits. I also remember rumors of Chase considering selling the AARP card portfolio but has not occured yet obviously.

Message 11 of 26
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

According to a post on the Doctor of Credit web site, Chase has removed the Slate Visa Card. Also removed it from Affiliate Sites. In doing a search of Chase there is nothing that comes up on their current site.

Yep, here's a link to the article on DoC's site:  https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-removes-chase-slate-card-from-website/ 

Message 12 of 26
VPExecutive
Frequent Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@VPExecutive wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

According to a post on the Doctor of Credit web site, Chase has removed the Slate Visa Card. Also removed it from Affiliate Sites. In doing a search of Chase there is nothing that comes up on their current site.

I didn't see much of a point in having a Slate card. When I think about getting a Chase cards... It's to apply for a business card, UR cards, or their Freedom card. I forgot the Slate even existed most of the time. 

I wonder how many applicants there are for Slate compared to their other cards. The other possibility is Chase feels their portfolio is ballooning too much (it now stands at 28 cards with the Slate being gone) and it's time to axe a few of their least desirable credit cards is a real possibility. 

I don't fly Southwest and have never closely examined the cards, but it seems odd to me that they have:

$199 AF business card

$149 personal card

$99 personal card

$69 personal card

I don't know exactly what the cards offer, but there must be something there they can cut. They play games with different levels of renewal miles and credits, but it looks like none of the cards still offer a companion pass...and I've never heard of them having any sort of lounge network. There's not even a no-AF card for infrequent flyers. So why the need for so many cards?

A very good point. Having 4 SW cards is ridiculous... Especially with a $30 annual fee difference. I could understanding having two personal cards with a significant annual fee gap and different benefits, but not the current levels they offer.

I don't even understand the need for two Disney cards. One offers 6 months of 0% financing on Disney vacations... Chase could easily just make the Disney card one with an annual fee and remove the no AF version. 

Message 13 of 26
wasCB14
Super Contributor

And people who are serious about Disney likely have an annual park pass. They're not cheap (several hundred to over a thousand dollars per person), but they offer things that make the cards kind of pointless. The card and annual pass benefits do not stack.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 14 of 26
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks @Anonymous , I too had read that somewhere yesterday.

Message 15 of 26
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

I don't fly Southwest and have never closely examined the cards, but it seems odd to me that they have:

$199 AF business card

$149 personal card

$99 personal card

$69 personal card

I don't know exactly what the cards offer, but there must be something there they can cut. They play games with different levels of renewal miles and credits, but it looks like none of the cards still offer a companion pass...and I've never heard of them having any sort of lounge network. There's not even a no-AF card for infrequent flyers. So why the need for so many cards?

The reason why none of those cards offer a companion pass directly as an annual benefit is that the Southwest companion pass is unlimited 2 for 1 tickets. Southwest and Chase want you putting a LOT of spend on that card/doing a lot of flying to keep that pass after the first teaser year (where credit card SUBs can get you a lot of the way to having it- at one point you COULD get this with the right set of SUBs). Try "six digits of spend" or "weekly flights".

Also, Southwest is... just not about lounges. Or first class. It's just a different model than American/United/Delta. It's not bad for what they do, it's just different.

The no-AF cards for airlines largely blow or at best are "meh". Delta AMEX no-AF SUB is a whopping 10k miles. Whoop-de-doo. That maybe gets you a one way ticket that would cost around $100. There's a pretty big number of no AF cards that give you better value in actual cash, where if you bought the Delta ticket with it you'd actually earn some miles (and for some like Wells Fargo AMEX Propel, you actually get more points in a travel bonus category than AMEX gives you for buying Delta tickets with the no-AF Delta card). United Travel Bank doesn't even give you miles, just $150 in United funny money if you buy United flights ....AA Mileup is similar (10k + $50 statement credit). Jet Blue's card might be the best card out of all of these: SUB is worth about $140, earn structure is OKish, but even they are more middle of the pack in value (and Jet Blue probably doesn't work for you as an airline unless you live in NYC, Boston, Florida or Long Beach, and Long Beach is "barely").

Every Southwest card has a minimum 40K Rapid Rewards SUB- that's almost $600 in flight value (which is why they don't give a no-AF card, that kind of SUB won't work without an annual fee and a lot of retention after year 1, and they certainly aren't going to want you sock drawering it, thus an AF; they're probably very happy with Chase's anti-churning rules). No way is that something you're getting on a no-AF card. If you can point me at a no-AF card with a $500-600 SUB or a close equivalent, please do so, you'd be doing us all a favor.

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 16 of 26
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@VPExecutive wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@VPExecutive wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I didn't see much of a point in having a Slate card. When I think about getting a Chase cards... It's to apply for a business card, UR cards, or their Freedom card. I forgot the Slate even existed most of the time. 

I wonder how many applicants there are for Slate compared to their other cards. The other possibility is Chase feels their portfolio is ballooning too much (it now stands at 28 cards with the Slate being gone) and it's time to axe a few of their least desirable credit cards is a real possibility. 

$199 AF business card

$149 personal card

$99 personal card

$69 personal card

A very good point. Having 4 SW cards is ridiculous... Especially with a $30 annual fee difference. I could understanding having two personal cards with a significant annual fee gap and different benefits, but not the current levels they offer.

I don't even understand the need for two Disney cards. One offers 6 months of 0% financing on Disney vacations... Chase could easily just make the Disney card one with an annual fee and remove the no AF version. 

According to Doctor of Credit, Chase removed Southwest business premier from it's website.  

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 17 of 26
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

The Slate was only useful as a balance transfers card and/or a card to start with at Chase if you couldn't qualify for a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited. After that, it's kind of useless imo. 🤷🏽 I'm more interested in what they are going to do with the rest of their product line. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 18 of 26
frugal47374
Regular Contributor

Informed Delivery shows me I have an offer for a Chase Slate credit card in today's mail.

I had one in the past but it was closed by Chase 2 years ago because of inactivity.  (Because, as everyone notes, once you are past the 15 month 0% intro deal, it's not of much use.)

But maybe rumors of its death are exaggerated?

Message 19 of 26
ngoaa
New Contributor

The mailman just dropped off a Slate invitation for me a minute ago. Maybe they are just slowing down the application for this particular product by taking it off the website.  

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.