Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JP Morgan Select vs CSP vs ????

tag
c3troop
New Contributor

JP Morgan Select vs CSP vs ????

Does anyone known the difference between these two cards?  I can't really see one and I also don't see the requirements income wise to get the JP Morgan Select.  Also are there any other cards that are on par with these two as far as higher end cards go?  And is the JP Morgan Select a card with metal in it like the CSP?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
android01
Valued Contributor

Re: JP Morgan Select vs CSP vs ????

The JPM Select is a plastic card, although it seems thicker tham most.  The biggest advantage to the Select card is that it doesn't report to the CRA's, in effect creating a hidden tradeline.  

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 2 of 14
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Other differences off memory are 2:1 for dining/travel whereas JP is just 2:1 for dining. 7% annual dividend for CSP vs 25k points bonus with $100k spending. 15.24% CSP vs 13.24% JP for purchases. JP has global chip but CSP is a metal card with laser printing. CSP reports but JP doesn't. I think that's about it.

Message 3 of 14
c3troop
New Contributor

Thanks guys.  How is there a credit card that doesn't report?  Am I missing something?

Message 4 of 14
android01
Valued Contributor

@c3troop wrote:

Thanks guys.  How is there a credit card that doesn't report?  Am I missing something?

Think of as an additiional benefit - like AMEX backdating.  Hidden TL's are great for maintaining high FICO scores from both a utilization and an AAoA perspective.  For example; I got my Select card in January of 2012.  I took a hit for Chase's inquiry, but NO new account reported so my AAoA wasn't lowered.  I don't have to pay by the statement date because it doesn't report at all.  I can carry a balance if I choose to and that won't affect anything score wise.  Hidden TL's are more valuable for people with long credit histories and high reported CL's already.  They don't help folks who are building their credit who actually want the CL and account information to report.    

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 5 of 14
c3troop
New Contributor

Well that makes sense.  I want to increase my score so I guess the CSP is the way to go?  Are there any other cards that have good travel benefits and have a fancy look to them?

Message 6 of 14
TM82
Regular Contributor

@mxp114 wrote:

Other differences off memory are 2:1 for dining/travel whereas JP is just 2:1 for dining. 7% annual dividend for CSP vs 25k points bonus with $100k spending. 15.24% CSP vs 13.24% JP for purchases. JP has global chip but CSP is a metal card with laser printing. CSP reports but JP doesn't. I think that's about it.

Actually it's the other way around, the Select card doesn't get 2x UR points on dining but on travel instead. If it were dining it would be better since you can get more UR points most of the time by going through the UR shopping portal.
My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 7 of 14
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Also the JPM Select offers primary auto CDW. If you rent cars with any kind of frequency, this might help you. I'm fairly certain the CSP only offers secondary CDW.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 8 of 14
bribro
Valued Contributor

In most cases, the CSP is a superior card. Here's a copy of paste from a previous post of mine comparing the two:

So the advantages of JPM Select over CSP are:

• Hidden TL
  • EMV chip & signature
  • Primary rental car CDW
  • No late or over limit fees
  • 25k points bonus after $100k yearly spend

And the disavantages are:

• Weaker rewards (2x airfare, hotel, and car rentals vs. 2x on ALL travel and food with CSP)
  • No 7% annual points dividend
  • No sign-up bonus (currently 40k points with CSP)
  • Plain plastic credit card

The CSP is almost surely a better fit for you since you want to work on your score.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bribro wrote:

In most cases, the CSP is a superior card. Here's a copy of paste from a previous post of mine comparing the two:

So the advantages of JPM Select over CSP are:

• Hidden TL
  • EMV chip & signature
  • Primary rental car CDW
  • No late or over limit fees
  • 25k points bonus after $100k yearly spend

And the disavantages are:

• Weaker rewards (2x airfare, hotel, and car rentals vs. 2x on ALL travel and food with CSP)
  • No 7% annual points dividend
  • No AF waive first year
  • No sign-up bonus (currently 40k points with CSP)
  • Plain plastic credit card

The CSP is almost surely a better fit for you since you want work on your score.

Do you have any qualication/score and process info for JPM Select? It could be a good card for Business Owners as it apears to work like Amex Business cards.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.