Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jareds Vs Visa or Mastercard

tag
Brian_Trying_700
Frequent Contributor

Jareds Vs Visa or Mastercard

Like the title states. Why whould you want a cc to use in only one store.  Whats your 2 cents.Macys, Khols etc. Off to bed tired.

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Re: Jareds Vs Visa or Mastercard

@Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

Like the title states. Why whould you want a cc to use in only one store.  Whats your 2 cents.Macys, Khols etc. Off to bed tired.

special 4inancing promotions, discounts, rewards, etc. also, if you can't get approved 4 a better card (Visa, MC, AMEX, Discover) then getting a store card is usually easier.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 2 of 8
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

+1

Message 3 of 8
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

I'm not a fan of store cards at all.  

I don't think the discounts or benefits that come with a store card are actually worth it compared to an actual card like a MC or a visa.

Message 4 of 8
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@ccnewcc wrote:

I don't think the discounts or benefits that come with a store card are actually worth it compared to an actual card like a MC or a visa.

why don't you "think" the discounts or benefits are worth it?

Most all store cards have zero AF, offer 0% financing on purchases, give daily discounts on purchases, easier to get, and usually have nice/often CLI's. If you are a person that never goes to those stores, and does not like saving money or finding the best deal then I could understand your view point.

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 5 of 8
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@j_casteel wrote:

@ccnewcc wrote:

Most all store cards have zero AF, offer 0% financing on purchases, give daily discounts on purchases, easier to get, and usually have nice/often CLI's. If you are a person that never goes to those stores, and does not like saving money or finding the best deal then I could understand your view point.

Baby in the highchair that doesn't like extra CB.  Gotch ya.

To each his own.

Store "credit" is antiquated.

I don't think the gimmacks, promotions, discounts, whatever benefits are worth it.  Not worth the HP, not worth the money, not worth the time management, not worth the budgeting, not worth the calucalations, not worth the headaches, not worth the "oh i was gonna shop here, but since i get a discount at so and so store cuz of my so and so store card, then I will drive over there to shop instead"  not worth the gotta keep it active or it will get canceled, not worth the extra TL that doesnt add to my total aval CL util, not worth the....should i go on??

Store Cards are not worth it, imo.

Message 6 of 8
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@ccnewcc wrote:

@j_casteel wrote:

@ccnewcc wrote:

Baby in the highchair that doesn't like extra CB.  Gotch ya.

To each his own.

Store "credit" is antiquated.

I don't think the gimmacks, promotions, discounts, whatever benefits are worth it.  Not worth the HP, not worth the money, not worth the time management, not worth the budgeting, not worth the calucalations, not worth the headaches, not worth the "oh i was gonna shop here, but since i get a discount at so and so store cuz of my so and so store card, then I will drive over there to shop instead"  not worth the gotta keep it active or it will get canceled, not worth the extra TL that doesnt add to my total aval CL util, not worth the....should i go on??

Store Cards are not worth it, imo.

i already budget, calculate, and plan my shopping/expenses whether i had store cards or not. I can definitely see where if you didn't do any of that then having more than one card or shopping at multiple stores would make for a migraine.

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 7 of 8
cardslayer
Regular Contributor

I have 5 (personal) store cards -

Sears - worst card ever for me, but does help with the Shop Your Way rewards, which seem to add up nicely. Bad CL and haven't been able to score a CLI. Backed by Citi

Bloomingdales - Decent card and gets financing promo's, also has rewards which, depending on promo, can far exceed your best CB card for future purchases. Often promos for extra 5-15% off when you use this card especially on sale prices.

Nordstroms - They just give awesome limits. They have a rewards that are decent and amount to 2% towards buying more stuff there. Also have a great Visa Signature product which negates the store card aspect (I just have the store card right now)

Target - 5% off at the register. Horrible limits though, but enough to buy baby supplies and general household stuff for a month and PIF

Ben Bridge jewlery card - Did a Rolex promo a couple years back 12mo 0% easy with the credit lines, have $10k line reporting every month with $0 balance.

I also have a couple of business cards, namely Staples and Office Depot - these are both no PG (when they were still doing that about 5yrs ago) and have decent limits now ($3500 and $1500, respectively) which is good for a no PG card. There is no point other than establishing business credit for these cards. Both backed by Citi

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.