Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jefferson Capital Systems, Legit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Jefferson Capital Systems, Legit?

7-7.5 years after dofd it and all collections related to it should be removed(or you can dispute as obsolete if they are not)
Message 21 of 33
nmorton79
Regular Contributor

I forgot to add that if you except the deal, the OC's account will drop from all 3 credit reports all together(that happened in my case and for another poster here on myfico), so at least you wont have 2 creditors reporting for the same item, and, you should gain some FICO points once you have the card.  The only negative imo, is that jefferson is slow to report(2-3 months behind...at least for me anyway)
Live~Laugh~Love

Starting Score: EQ 401, TU430
Current Score: EQ 501, TU 500
Goal Score: 700+ across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Live~Laugh~Love
Message 22 of 33
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

@jmbfl wrote:

It is seven and a half years from DOFD,

SOL runs from DOLA and varies from state to state.

These folks are real bad actors. They are a collection agency that works in conjunction with an issuer of sub-prime credit cards. That issuer has been canceling card programs and closing accounts left and right. They both are subjects of FTC and AG investigations and penalties. I would find out what the SOL is for this debt in your state. If you are clear of it leave this matter alone. If you move up the DOLA you will reset the SOL.

If you are not 100% clear that you can pay this entire debt leave it alone. It does sound like the SOL has run and there is nothing they can legally do to compel you to pay it. You will always owe it but it will be an uncollectable, time barred debt. If you pay a dime on the debt you will reset the DOLA and once again able to be subjected to legal action. Paying on this account does not reset the DOFD. The DOFD will remain the same until the account becomes current. (Unless the account is illegally reaged, something to be ever vigilant of.) Therefore, it should be off you CBR's by 7.5 years (and it is 7.5 years) after the DOFD. If the CR you are looking at has a scheduled date that is when it should fall off.

BTW: If you are forgiven a debt, the amount of the forgiveness is income. You may receive a 1099 form for it and have to report it on your income tax return! If you still owe it it is not forgiven and it is not income.

Message 23 of 33
nmorton79
Regular Contributor

@jmbfl wrote:

BTW: If you are forgiven a debt, the amount of the forgiveness is income. You may receive a 1099 form for it and have to report it on your income tax return! If you still owe it it is not forgiven and it is not income.

You may receive a 1099 if more than $600 is forgiven, but you should not receive anything if less...

Live~Laugh~Love

Live~Laugh~Love
Message 24 of 33
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

@nmorton79 wrote:

@jmbfl wrote:

You may receive a 1099 if more than $600 is forgiven, but you should not receive anything if less...

Well since we are going to be technical about the matter:

A 1099-C, Cancellation of Debt, is required to be filed for cancellation of a debt owed to a financial institution, ... or any organization having a significant trade or business of lending money if the amount forgiven is $600 or more.

It is income to you and reportable by you on your income tax return regardless of the amount.

If you actually have a cancelled debt I suggest you refer to IRS Publication 525 obtainable here:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p525.pdf 

as there are certain exceptions if the debt cancelled as a gift or bequest to you, in bankruptcy proceeding, a mortgage debt, or a business debt.

Message Edited by jmbfl on 11-15-2008 01:35 PM
Message 25 of 33
Uniqua
Established Contributor

No need to get technical. OP has already stated they are not sure of what they should do. Why confuse them even more?

Should OP receive a 1099 (which I doubt), I'm sure they'll be back to ask more questions at that time.
Message 26 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Embrace Card from them.  They're legit. Deleted the origional debt...gave me a CC no annual fee, pay online for free, 19.99 APR (yuck) every 4 months they increased $100 then $200 then $300.  I don't carry a balance, just PIF...decent card...no bells and whistles.  No hassles.  just my experience.
Message 27 of 33
nmorton79
Regular Contributor

@jmbfl wrote:

@nmorton79 wrote:

@jmbfl wrote:

Well since we are going to be technical about the matter:

A 1099-C, Cancellation of Debt, is required to be filed for cancellation of a debt owed to a financial institution, ... or any organization having a significant trade or business of lending money if the amount forgiven is $600 or more.

It is income to you and reportable by you on your income tax return regardless of the amount.

If you actually have a cancelled debt I suggest you refer to IRS Publication 525 obtainable here:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p525.pdf 

as there are certain exceptions if the debt cancelled as a gift or bequest to you, in bankruptcy proceeding, a mortgage debt, or a business debt.

Message Edited by jmbfl on 11-15-2008 01:35 PM

Thanks for the education...everyday I get a new wrinkle in my brain....anyhow, I was in no way trying to be technical as obviously there was more that I didn't know about and I am learning everyday just like everyone else on this forum...I got my info from Suze Orman(her show) and I don't recall her going into detail about cancelled debt.

I found your response to be a little sarcastic.  Please accept my most sincere apologies if that was not the case, but thats how it came across, so thats how I took it.

Live~Laugh~Love

Live~Laugh~Love
Message 28 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

So it sounds like I should do the following:

1. Save up enough money so that I can pay the debt off.
  2. Then, DV to see if they can verify the debt
  3. If they don't verify, then it comes off (Do they have a certain amount of time to do this?)
  4. If they do verify, PFD

Is that about right?  Also are there any examples of DV, PFD, GW, etc. type letters anywhere?

Message 29 of 33
tri3nity
Contributor

I know this is a month old post, but I had to put my two cents in. I had my concerns about Jefferson Capital Systems as well. I am actually pretty satisfied with them. I completed the arrangement, there is no annual fee on the card and it gets regular credit limit increases. And the sol did not reset, the old debt fell off all 3 reports completely and JCS falls off in May of 09, the same month the OC was scheduled to fall off. Hope this helps if you haven't already made a decision.

Starting Score: 1/2011 TU 539 EQ 481
Current Score: 2/2011 TU 542 EQ 489 EX 505
Goal Score: 620+

Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.