Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joined a local CU today

tag
Gibran
Frequent Contributor

Joined a local CU today

I joined a local CU here in Orlando (CFE CU), just wondering how long should I wait before app'ing for a CC with them? Below is alittle updated credit info.

FICO 12/27/09: EQ:651 (5 INQ's) TU:671 (4 INQ's) EX: ?? (7 INQ's)

- All INQ's from 10/09, got alittle app happy that month Smiley Wink 

CC's

CapOne: $300 CL / $100 bal

HSBC: $320 CL / $97 bal

Zales: $750 CL / $100 bal

Kay's: $800 CL / $151 bal

Macy's: $400 CL / $339 bal (will be PIF'd on 1/7)

Car loan: $21K bal

(Never been late on any of the above credit/loan accounts)

1 pd collection due to come off in 10/2010 (I sent a GW letter to the CA, so hopefully they will accept and it comes off sooner)

No other baddies

I'm going to make sure all of my other CC's are PIF'd before app'ing

TIA for any tips or suggestions. 

AMEX Platinum NPSL | AMEX Zync NPSL | AMEX Delta Platinum $4000 | Travelocity Amex $4000 | CapOne No Hassle Rewards $2500 | BBRZ MC $800 | Local CU Visa $1000 | Kay $2000 | Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve $5000 | Chase Marriott Rewards $5000 | BankAmericard Travel Rewards Visa $7000 | Discover IT $1000
In the garden until 10/2014
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
keith021
Regular Contributor

Re: Joined a local CU today

I applied for products the same day I opened my accounts. Give it a shot!

Starting Score: 665
Current Score: 715
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 9
cdtotten
Established Contributor

With your utility at 31%, I would definately make sure you pay off those balances before you apply. You should see a nice score jump as a result. CUs are typically more willing to extend credit to people with past problems, as you can explain in person what happened and that you have been perfect since.

Your number of inquiries is pretty high, which could be a sticking point if you have a lot of new credit. If any of the inquiries are set to fall off in the next month or two, i would be inclined to wait, but the choice is up to you. Good Luck!

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 9
Gibran
Frequent Contributor

Thanks..I was thinking about those INQ's also since they're still fairly recent. I may just hold off until around Oct of this year when they will be a year old, and all my CC's will also be a year old. It's going to take some will power to hold off until then but I can do it..I know I can, I know I can..Smiley Very Happy

AMEX Platinum NPSL | AMEX Zync NPSL | AMEX Delta Platinum $4000 | Travelocity Amex $4000 | CapOne No Hassle Rewards $2500 | BBRZ MC $800 | Local CU Visa $1000 | Kay $2000 | Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve $5000 | Chase Marriott Rewards $5000 | BankAmericard Travel Rewards Visa $7000 | Discover IT $1000
Message 4 of 9
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Another thing you could look to improve as you pay off your credit card balances is to watch how many of them have balances. You want to have balances showing on less than half of your revolving accounts. Try not to sit with small balances on all of them.
Message 5 of 9
Gibran
Frequent Contributor

Those balances were basically from holiday shopping. I usually just use my HSBC card to pay my monthly myFICO score watch and myFICO TU quarterly monitoring. My zales, kay's, and macy's I normally keep a $0 balance on them. 

Message 6 of 9
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Certainly sounds as if you're going about things the right way.
Message 7 of 9
Gibran
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Lynette..I'm trying. Joining these forums have certainly helped me out tremendously in getting my credit back on a positive track. 

Message 8 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Even if you don't wait until next October, I'd hold off until you see if you get any luck with your GW's.

If there isn't an immediate urgency for new credit, it's always smartest to hold off until you can shine up your reports as best as possible (low util, inqs getting older, lates falling off, disputes resolved, etc.) You'll increase your chances of acceptance, and you'll probably get a much better deal as well. Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.