Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

June 4th is a sad day for Citibank

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

June 4th is a sad day for Citibank

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2016/03/24/no-citi-devalues-forward-card/

Booooooo  that really makes me NOT want to get the premier and prestige this fall and Marry someone with a citi forward!

Message 1 of 63
62 REPLIES 62
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Re: June 4th is a sad day for Citibank

@Anonymous wrote:

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2016/03/24/no-citi-devalues-forward-card/

Booooooo  that really makes me NOT want to get the premier and prestige this fall and Marry someone with a citi forward!

Very sorry to hear the sad news about Citi nerfing the Forward card's rewards there Smiley Sad  They should have grandfathered the 5x rewards permanently for existing cardholders who were originally given those terms, in mho.

Message 2 of 63
icyhot
Valued Contributor

What the heck??? So it's basically a Thank You Preferred card with the guaranteed APR reduction. That sucks. I wonder if they'll allow PCs
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 3 of 63
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

It was bound to happen Smiley Very Happy  The current market is quite saturated given peer competition (even with their in-house offerings).  Citi is well-known to do this from time to time.   It's all about sustainability.  It sucks for a lot of folks who enjoyed having the card but it's time to move forward (pun intended).  Hopefully some can be allowed to PC into another Citi product if that works as a better alternative.

Message 4 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

RIP

Hope Sallie Mae lasts as long as that did
Message 5 of 63
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

And again, another one bites the dust.

I guess it's as they always say about good things just don't last.

Message 6 of 63
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@icyhot wrote:
What the heck??? So it's basically a Thank You Preferred card with the guaranteed APR reduction. That sucks. I wonder if they'll allow PCs

Very fascinating...sorry, not to go OT, but if Citi ever hypothetically offered the option in the future of a PC to the devalued version of the Forward, I just might be possibly interested, if only for the APR reduction feature alone...

Message 7 of 63
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

On the upside, there's Prestige and TY Premier (and this one got a bit of an "upgrade" from the previous version).

Message 8 of 63
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@galahad15 wrote:

@icyhot wrote:

Very fascinating...sorry, not to go OT, but if Citi ever hypothetically offered the option in the future of a PC to the devalued version of the Forward, I just might be possibly interested, if only for the APR reduction feature alone...

Except Citi doesn't go backwards as far as PCs for previously decommissioned products.  Some folks have a few grandfathered Citi products that are still around, but once they close the channel for new apps, can't PC to those.

Message 9 of 63
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
RIP

Hope Sallie Mae lasts as long as that did

J/c, how long was 5% version of the Forward available in total, also accounting for those who were grandfathered before the earlier nerf to 2%, and the June 3rd cutoff date for the 5% rewards?  Honestly just curious to know how many years the 5% version actually ran for (for datapoint purposes)...

Message 10 of 63
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.