Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Juniper increases APR

tag
Guardian
Valued Contributor

Re: Juniper increases APR

Yeah I got the same lame letter. Not too mention they cut my limit, not by much but still insulting. 2700 to 2100 and I stopped using them. For years now, no CLI, high APR, repeatedly refused to adjust anything and then they reduce me? I was pissed, so I just put it in the drawer and said hell with it. SO when I got this letter, I couldn't help but just laugh.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 11 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went to use my Juniper card a few months back and it was declined.  I called and was told that my account was sold off to Bank of America.  Sure enough, 2 days later a new BofA card arrives with a new account number.

They kept my rate at 7.9% which is what I had with Juniper.

You would think that since I had since 2001 they would have been nice enough to send me a letter to let me know.  Instead I found out by trying to use the card.

Message 12 of 28
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I went to use my Juniper card a few months back and it was declined.  I called and was told that my account was sold off to Bank of America.  Sure enough, 2 days later a new BofA card arrives with a new account number.

They kept my rate at 7.9% which is what I had with Juniper.

You would think that since I had since 2001 they would have been nice enough to send me a letter to let me know.  Instead I found out by trying to use the card.

Funny, the last time I tried to use it and it was declined I was told, we are doing our due deligence to make sure of your security, bluh bluh and I told them listen making me look like an ass in front of people is NOT a good way to retain me as a customer, stopped using them all together. It's a lame card, although I know some people who swear by their juni cards.

Message 13 of 28
Daisey
New Visitor

I just received a letter yesterday (March 14, 2009) informing me that my fixed interest rate was going from 8.99% to a whopping 14.99%, I thought fixed rate meant it would not be raised, this sounds more like it's a variable rate.  Severals months ago my credit limit was reduced to $1,200.00.  One good thing they never get any interest from me.
Message 14 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the letter also.  Thanks for posting this as I was wondering if this was a AA ratejack or an across the board thing. 

Any advice on if I should sockdrawer or close this card?  I don't need it at all.  It only has a $400 CL and I've only had it for 1.5 years.  I have 4 other cards with 13330 total CL.  My credit history is 15 years.  If anything this card is pulling my average age down.  Any opinions appreciated.  Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Daisey wrote:
I just received a letter yesterday (March 14, 2009) informing me that my fixed interest rate was going from 8.99% to a whopping 14.99%, I thought fixed rate meant it would not be raised, this sounds more like it's a variable rate.  Severals months ago my credit limit was reduced to $1,200.00.  One good thing they never get any interest from me.

I got the same letter this past Friday.  With banks behaving like they've been in recent years, there really is no such thing as a "fixed rate" anymore, they can raise the rate anytime they want by as much as they want.  I pay in full, so the ratejack won't hurt me at all, but I'm sorry to hear that some of you have gotten CLDs.  I was expecting another automatic CLI and didn't get that, so I guess I should be thankful I didn't get a CLD myself.
Message 16 of 28
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I got the letter also.  Thanks for posting this as I was wondering if this was a AA ratejack or an across the board thing. 

Any advice on if I should sockdrawer or close this card?  I don't need it at all.  It only has a $400 CL and I've only had it for 1.5 years.  I have 4 other cards with 13330 total CL.  My credit history is 15 years.  If anything this card is pulling my average age down.  Any opinions appreciated.  Smiley Happy

It seems to be an across the board deal and I have sockdrawered them since they reduced my limit by $600 a few months back, this just sealed the deal. If you have more reliable, better credit, use it and sockdrawer this. Otherwise, use wisely and only as much as you can PIF each month, don't carry a balance and don't use too much just in case they kill your CL.

Message 17 of 28
Daisey
New Visitor

I thought this might be of some interest to anyone who still has a Juniper credit card.  I sent and email to Juniper and asked about the interest rate increase, here was their response

Thank you for contacting us regarding your Juniper MasterCard account.
We understand your frustration regarding the upcoming changes in terms to your account and we can certainly assist you.  We regularly review our accounts to ensure we provide the best possible terms, while managing any risks that comes with unsecured lending.  We make adjustments to ensure we can continue to provide you the great benefits you’ve come to expect with your card.
Our decision to make this change was based on the higher cost of doing business due to the challenging economic environment.  Any adjustments made to your account are compliant with Federal law and the State of Delaware regulations.
Please know, although you cannot opt out of every change, you can choose to reject some of the changes to your Annual Percentage Rate (APR).
Written notice of your rejection of these changes must be received by April 10, 2009 in order for the terms to not be applied.  Your account however will be closed and you will be required to continue to pay the monthly payments on any outstanding balance under the current terms of your Agreement until it is paid in full.  We do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
Please be aware, we are unable to opt you out of these changes by e-mail or phone.  In order to opt out, you will need to do so in writing by April 10, 2009.  In your letter, please include your name, address, and account number and mail to:
Barclays Bank Delaware
P.O. Box 8804
Wilmington, DE 19899-8804
Message 18 of 28
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@Daisey wrote:

I thought this might be of some interest to anyone who still has a Juniper credit card.  I sent and email to Juniper and asked about the interest rate increase, here was their response

Thank you for contacting us regarding your Juniper MasterCard account.
We understand your frustration regarding the upcoming changes in terms to your account and we can certainly assist you.  We regularly review our accounts to ensure we provide the best possible terms, while managing any risks that comes with unsecured lending.  We make adjustments to ensure we can continue to provide you the great benefits you’ve come to expect with your card.
Our decision to make this change was based on the higher cost of doing business due to the challenging economic environment.  Any adjustments made to your account are compliant with Federal law and the State of Delaware regulations.
Please know, although you cannot opt out of every change, you can choose to reject some of the changes to your Annual Percentage Rate (APR).
Written notice of your rejection of these changes must be received by April 10, 2009 in order for the terms to not be applied.  Your account however will be closed and you will be required to continue to pay the monthly payments on any outstanding balance under the current terms of your Agreement until it is paid in full.  We do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
Please be aware, we are unable to opt you out of these changes by e-mail or phone.  In order to opt out, you will need to do so in writing by April 10, 2009.  In your letter, please include your name, address, and account number and mail to:
Barclays Bank Delaware
P.O. Box 8804
Wilmington, DE 19899-8804

Unfortunately this is readily the policy and available to anyone and applies to all creditors. You can refuse any changes anytime you want but it automatically means that your account will be closed. Its considered a refusal of offer and abandon of contract, so it terminates it immediatley. As they stated above too. You can always refuse but that means they close your account right away. The only advantage you gain is that you are only subject to original terms of your account.

Message 19 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been taking a real close look at things financially and I've decided I'm going to close my Juni account if by chance I get approved for a Freedom card. It's not my oldest account so I'm hoping it won't hurt too much with age. I have no intention of using the card, so I think it's just a matter of time before they close it for me if I don't close it myself.

Too bad we can't plan a mass cancellation.

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.