Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just App'ed PENFED for $25K : PenFed Countered $10K

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Just App'ed PENFED for $25K : PenFed Countered $10K

Hey Guardian - I'm thinking of one more good app that pulls TU only.  I have been told that Discover apps from Texas pull only TU....you have any input on that.

Currently I have 1 inq on TU, 2 on EX and 2 on EQ.  If I can pull 1 more good Reward card app on TU only, that evens my inqs out and will be a good spread.  I haven't applied for cards for last 4 years prior to this and some of them are from my less than shiny credit days, so I am using now to kind of upgrade some of the builder cards I had.

I now have PenFed Travel Reward, Alliant, CapOne Miles Ultra and BoA Plat Plus.  So far they all are running $10k each.  BoA won't give me CLI because I have Bus Credit with them personally guaranteed....so technically speaking my CL with BoA is close to $50k....but only $10k reports personally.

I was thinking Discover may round out the mix for now if they have good Reward card. 

Message Edited by txjohn on 03-28-2009 03:34 PM
Message 51 of 76
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey Guardian - I'm thinking of one more good app that pulls TU only.  I have been told that apps from Texas pull only TU....you have any input on that.

Currently I have 1 inq on TU, 2 on EX and 2 on EQ.  If I can pull 1 more good Reward card app on TU only, that evens my inqs out and will be a good spread.  I haven't applied for cards for last 4 years prior to this and some of them are from my less than shiny credit days, so I am using now to kind of upgrade some of the builder cards I had.

I now have PenFed Travel Reward, Alliant, CapOne Miles Ultra and BoA Plat Plus.  So far they all are running $10k each.  BoA won't give me CLI because I have Bus Credit with them personally guaranteed....so technically speaking my CL with BoA is close to $50k....but only $10k reports personally.

I was thinking Discover may round out the mix for now if they have good Reward card. 

agreed.  they pulled TU for me in NY (softed EQ). 

even though USBank i think pulls EQ you may want to consider this strong regional bank. their cc products receive routinely v. good reviews and it would also be a nice upgrade for you since it's primo like discover.

you'll find USBank love threads if you search.  i'm waiting to app it.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 52 of 76
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey Guardian - I'm thinking of one more good app that pulls TU only.  I have been told that Discover apps from Texas pull only TU....you have any input on that.

Message Edited by txjohn on 03-28-2009 03:34 PM

Well not sure on that one and I would hate to say something that was wrong but I will tell you what Discover did with me and let you decide for yourself. I applied with them and they pulled from EQ but HSBC had put comments "consumer disputes account information" and that got them paranoid and they pulled TU and there was one baddie on there and more than EQ so they panicked again and pulled EX too which is my worse with 3 bull**** items that they won't remove and they said sorry too much variance in your information and we can't extend you credit. Then a few days later I spoke with a higher level manager and she said, yeah we normally don't but I see that your credit is very stable and closer look I can see the items are obviously bull and extended me the credit but I ended up with a total of 4 inquiries on EQ, 2 on TU and 3 on EX from them. Of course later I wrote them and asked them to remove it and they did immediately but it was a horror to get it and I was so regretful I even tried by the end of it, but I am over it now Smiley Happy

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 53 of 76
Guardian
Valued Contributor

even though USBank i think pulls EQ you may want to consider this strong regional bank. their cc products receive routinely v. good reviews and it would also be a nice upgrade for you since it's primo like discover.

you'll find USBank love threads if you search.  i'm waiting to app it.

Agreed and I have said their praises for a long time, US Bank is awesome and if you think you can satisfy their strict rules and get it, they will show you love in the long run but people have had mixed experience getting it at the beginning but its because they are a good strong bank and they are one of the "hidden gems" by the government and international reports on bank stength and somewhat conservative and I have a personal link to them via upper level management in IT. All around great bank and great customer service.

Message 54 of 76
Guardian
Valued Contributor

One thing to add, US Bank is EXTREMELY sensitive to inquiries (especially recent ones) so if you have alot of those, let them cool down and get old a bit before trying, they tend to like boring (as hauling calls it), stable and long term credit profiles and spending styles. They are vary of erratic, credit seeking, too many apps/inquiry people and tend to flag that as risky. Just saying.

Message 55 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I apped Discover and they only pulled TU.  But I didn't get an instant approval, I got a message to please call them to verify info.  I did and they approved on phone but for only $5k.  Said they would consider CLI in 6 months.
Message 56 of 76
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

txjohn wrote:
Well, I apped Discover and they only pulled TU.  But I didn't get an instant approval, I got a message to please call them to verify info.  I did and they approved on phone but for only $5k.  Said they would consider CLI in 6 months.

Congrats! Discover's a great card, but they're uber-conservative with CL's.

Sounds like you have a great batch of cards, and time to come up for air, and let them cook.

One thing you'll find pretty quickly: when you have a lot of cards, and they're from good lenders, it will flat wear you out trying to keep all of them active enough to earn CLI's, etc. And this is especially true of rewards cards.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 57 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

That was my last app.  I haven't apped in 3-4 years (except auto 1.5 yrs ago) and wanted to upgrade my cards.  I also wanted to get Reward cards this time.  Before I tended to go for no perk lowest apr cards.  But I don't carry balance so I decided I am wasting the opportunity.

I plan to begin using some of my business reimbursable expenses on personal cards that will be mostly PIF each month but provide enough volume to exercise them.

Thanks for all of your help and input....greatly appreciated.  Smiley Happy

Message Edited by txjohn on 03-28-2009 07:56 PM
Message 58 of 76
Guardian
Valued Contributor

Congrats, glad you got it.

Message 59 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed Visa showed up this morning under MY ACCOUNTS Smiley Happy
Message Edited by txjohn on 03-30-2009 04:00 AM
Message 60 of 76
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.