cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Turned 18 and Student. Citi Forward.

tag
ADARPegasus
Established Contributor

Just Turned 18 and Student. Citi Forward.

Ok so i just turned 18 in june and then i got a US Bank Secured Credit card $1000 CL. I just applied for the Citi Forward Card today and got the further processing message does anyone know any cards that would be good for me to apply for?

American Express?

Discover?

Transunion - 788 05/16
Experian - 745 05/16
Equifax - 740 05/16
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Just Turned 18 and Student. Citi Forward.

You should probably hold off on applying for a while. The best next card in my opinion would be the Zync charge card by Amex. Use it for purchases so you get in the habit of paying in full each month and using credit responsibly. 

Message 2 of 10
ADARPegasus
Established Contributor

how long should i wait? i have had my us bank card for 3 months.

Transunion - 788 05/16
Experian - 745 05/16
Equifax - 740 05/16
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

At least 6 months, a year would be best. (I know it seems like a long time. I am around your age and get the urge to app but finally I am content. I have three cards I use -- a discover more, amex zync and a citi forward.) 

If you wait, you will get higher credit lines and better terms on whatever card you choose.

Also did you call Citi? When I apped for my forward, I received the same message and upon calling I was immediately approved. 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is your card reporting yet?

If so, you could probably apply and get approved for Zync.

My daughter started with Cap1. After 4 months history, got Zync, and then at 6 months got Forward and Discover More.

Do not apply for any Chase products for at least 1-2 years. They want a much longer history. I already verified that with them.

Message 5 of 10
JMN
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Do not apply for any Chase products for at least 1-2 years. They want a much longer history. I already verified that with them.

Perhaps that's new, or you're referring to their regular cards, but they approved me for their college card without any history. This was in 2007, though.

Despite my employment in the banking industry, any and all views contained in this post are purely my own, and do not represent any financial institution, nor constitute as financial or investment guidance or advise.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JMN wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Perhaps that's new, or you're referring to their regular cards, but they approved me for their college card without any history. This was in 2007, though.

From my understanding, Chase no longer has college credit cards. At least this is what I was told about 2 months ago.  I had a discussion with CSR. They told me that they required a minimum one year history, and preferably 2 for any credit card product. Seems like they have become even more conservative. That's great that you were able to get your foot in the door with them when u did. It was  no go for my daughter, even though she has a prime Discover More (non-student version), Zync, Citi Forward and Cap1.

Message 7 of 10
ADARPegasus
Established Contributor

called citi they said my card is still under review whats taking so long? what will my credit limit be?

Transunion - 788 05/16
Experian - 745 05/16
Equifax - 740 05/16
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got approved for Citi Forward $1200. It was the easiest card I ever got,  I applied for instant credit but because I have a fraud alert it took a little longer to be approved. They basically called me  back a few days later aske me a few security questions then appoved my card! I'm sure you will get the card.

Message 9 of 10
ADARPegasus
Established Contributor

Oh!! i have a 7 year extended fraud alert on all 3 of my credit reports. do they base credit limit on income? what do you think mine will be?

Transunion - 788 05/16
Experian - 745 05/16
Equifax - 740 05/16
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.