Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Wanted to Say Thanks!

tag
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

Re: Just Wanted to Say Thanks!

Being a recovered abuser of CC's when I was in college (and just getting back on the horse a good 15 years later), I think a $3000 limit on your new card is more than sufficient for the next few years. i would sit tight and not go for any additional credit. It can be tempting and, as a student, you may not find it so easy to pay off those obligations when you start racking up the balances on your cards.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

P.S. I would close the CapOne with the fee as well since you have a Discover that is older than it.

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 11 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@HoneyWholeWheat wrote:

My question is would this be problematic if I stopped working and went to school for a while? I mean, I have a savings account and plan on saving, but I don't think I'd be spending like what I'm doing now. Should I try for another card before I go into this long-term gardening, so my CC profile looks good?

no, you are being approved now and they don't need to know if you are working or not in the future as long as you are handling your bills and making payments.

If you want BCE I would apply for that... backup plan would be a Gold Charge if I was you but go for it now on the blue.

Message 12 of 19

Okay, sounds like a plan. I think I'll consider a BCE; do you think I could get approved?

Discover TU (7/14): 728
EQ (5/13): 710
AMEX EX (7/15): 740

My Wallet: Discover IT (3.8k), Citi Student Forward (8.3k), AMEX BCE (10k), Chase Freedom (5k), Paypal BML (1k)
Message 13 of 19

So, I apped for the BCE and was APPROVED. 

I'm done; no more CCs for quite some time. Thanks for the help guys you are amazing!!!

Discover TU (7/14): 728
EQ (5/13): 710
AMEX EX (7/15): 740

My Wallet: Discover IT (3.8k), Citi Student Forward (8.3k), AMEX BCE (10k), Chase Freedom (5k), Paypal BML (1k)
Message 14 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Update with limit... You can call to check it!
Congrats!!
Message 15 of 19
myjourney
Super Contributor

@HoneyWholeWheat wrote:

I'm done; no more CCs for quite some time. Thanks for the help guys you are amazing!!!

Congrats nice card to have 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 16 of 19
asphaltcowboy
Valued Contributor

@HoneyWholeWheat wrote:

Congrats on your approval, and welcome to the garden!!Smiley Happy

Starting Score TU 667 EQ 663 EX 655
Current Score TU 778 EQ 776 EX 781 Last Update 4/2016
Garden Club 04/10/2013
Message 17 of 19
RyeBread
Established Member

Called AMEX, the limit is $2500! Can't wait for the card to come in the mail!

Current Score: EQ (Citi FICO) (3/23): 831, EX (Amex FICO) (4/23): 820, TU (Discover): 800

~$138k total CL, ~1% utilized
Message 18 of 19
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@HoneyWholeWheat wrote:

Hey guys,

I've been lurking this forum for the past year, learning about credit, and taking some proactive measures about it. A year ago, I was approved for a Secured CapitalOne Mastercard w/ a $200 limit. Because of you're advice, I recently applied for a Citi Student Forward w/ a limit of $3,000! 

Now, I'm thinking of cancelling the CapitalOne card; is that a good or bad idea? My annual fee kicks in next month, and I have two store cards dating a year ago, and a Discover card from 2011 that I use daily. Any suggestions?

AXE IT.jpg

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.