cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just a friendly reminder for those that want to keep cards from closing for inactivity.

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Just a friendly reminder for those that want to keep cards from closing for inactivity.

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a DC Citi card that I might need to do this for. I won't get the 2% cash back correct?

You should.  It's just an Amazon purchase

Message 31 of 115
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Re: Just a friendly reminder for those that want to keep cards from closing for inactivity.

@coldfusion wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

I thought Amazon nixed the 50 cent reloads and updated the mininum to a whole $1.   Is that false? 

false 50 cent still existSmiley Happy. use to be 5 or 10 cents, but increased to 50 cents

Haha. I can't imagine reloading 5 or 10 cents. Not that you can buy a whole lot with 50. 😂

These are reloads of "gift card balance" rather than actual gift cards.   So for any purchase, you can choose (and I think it is the default) to have a gift card balance used first.   So even 5c would have some use.

Yeah. I get that. Like reloading your Starbucks card, etc. I just thought it was funny they'd allow such low amounts. Realistically, you'd have to reload 5 cents several times to buy anything. Unless you're doing that with some ulterior motive, I don't see any regular customer doing it for a legit purpose.

Anyway, now that I know, my Citi Rewards+ is going to get some swipes. 50 cents for 10 TYPs sounds like good deal till I get in trouble with Citi. 

BTW what you're talking about doing with your Rewards+ card is basically what banking bonus-chasers do if they have accounts with mininum-swipes requirements on the linked debit card.

or to meet the 30 monthly purchases on the one Amex card. Interesting stuff... 

Message 32 of 115
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

hum hang on for just one sec, so do 30 charges on a EDP on amazon and earn 50% more?  smells like gaming the system a bit, do they say there is a min for charge amounts?

Message 33 of 115
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@bourgogne wrote:

hum hang on for just one sec, so do 30 charges on a EDP on amazon and earn 50% more?  smells like gaming the system a bit, do they say there is a min for charge amounts?

Really?  Of course it is!   If you do it to often and get eyes on your account, they would probably complain.   There's also a warning that several in a short period can be bundled into one transaction, but I have not seen that.

Amex does not insist on a minimum charge.   Some reward checking banks do

Message 34 of 115
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@bourgogne wrote:

Well, you don't have to put 30 transactions of 50 cents on the card, but if you're short a few from getting to 30, you could do that to help you meet the requirement. 

Message 35 of 115
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

Really?  Of course it is!   If you do it to often and get eyes on your account, they would probably complain.   There's also a warning that several in a short period can be bundled into one transaction, but I have not seen that.

Amex does not insist on a minimum charge.   Some reward checking banks do

man I will do anything to procrastinate on exercising,  responding to this is proof lol.  so I see a 25k upgrade to an EDP for $2k of spend with a $95 fee.  I see a daily auto-load feature on prime.  I see a 50% bonus on 3% grocery if 30 swipes are done in the period which makes the EDP turned into a near nuclear grocery card.  feels so naughty ha-ha.  amex never seems to care what I do, I run everything except maybe replacement parts for a meth lab through biz cards.  does anyone actually do this?  just thinking of how much more I spend at the market these days...

Message 36 of 115
Andypanda
Established Contributor

Also a Great trick to use if one has the amex ed or edp and need to meet the monthly swip quilificatin for the 20% or 5-% bonus.

Message 37 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

@imaximous wrote:

Wow mind blown, thanks for the tip! Though I only have the ED card, it's at least 20% more than i would be getting. 

I always assumed buying Amazo GC's fell under MS, so i didn't bother. 

Message 38 of 115
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:

If I can do, you can! Smiley LOL Go to Amazon and use the gift card reload.

During my little adventure I did discover. I hadn't activated one of my Navy Fed replacement cards. Apparently received it in Oct 2019. It was still in the envelope.LMAO

So this little exercise paid off! Even put a charge on the redhead step child Propel. Smiley Tongue

Amazon reloads 1.png

Thanks @Gmood1 , You "BIG SPENDER YOU"Smiley LOL  .. use this all the timeSmiley Wink

I usually take the 52 card pick up to the gas station and rotate the decksmiley-laughing021.gif

Used Credit Care yesterday at the animal hospital (ouch..$426)

and last night at Walgreens .. pepcid ac for sick doggie,

comfort Ice cream and candy bars for doggie ownerSmiley Happy

and one tube of tooth pasteSmiley Wink (gonna need after candy)

been a "ruff" weekSmiley Sad

Message 39 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a DC Citi card that I might need to do this for. I won't get the 2% cash back correct?

You should.  It's just an Amazon purchase

Thanks!

Message 40 of 115
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.