Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just a thought

tag
Jpmack29
Regular Contributor

Just a thought

in the next 5 years I'm looking to cut out most my cards and keep only like 3-4. I don't see how people can have 20+ cards, but to each their own. I had the interest, but recently lost it. Just a vent, 

Current (8/2015): Equifax 688, Transunion 689, Experian 708
Goal Scores: 700 across the board

Capital One Venture: $5500| Discover it: $4500| American Express Green Card: NPSL| Capital One- QuickSilver: $3000| American Express Everyday Card: $2000| Bank of America- Americard Cash Rewards: $1500 | Barclays Cash Rewards: $1300| Chase Freedom:$1200| Barclays Apple Rewards: $2000
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Just a thought

I'm in a similar boat, mostly because my spend doesn't warrant having more than 4 cards.

But I sure as heck am not going to wait 5 years...honestly, once an account hits a year, to me that's "long enough" and it's fair to close it.

At this moment the only thing I really could see closing with no big hesitation is Quicksilver, I love the rewards program but the card serves little purpose anymore and the APR is 22.99% and they won't lower it. While I don't carry a balance on it anyway, it's just a "so this is what you think of me?" kind of thing while my other issuers give me 12-18% lol.

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not waiting either. Some of these cards have got to go asap! Smiley Very Happy Like this month.
Message 3 of 18
Jpmack29
Regular Contributor

I'd like to do it sooner, but looking for a mortgage within that time frame of 5 years. 5 years being the absolute maximum amount of time. I'm hoping 2 years at least. I myself can't warrant the spend either, I pif all the time so Apr really doesn't matter to me. 

Current (8/2015): Equifax 688, Transunion 689, Experian 708
Goal Scores: 700 across the board

Capital One Venture: $5500| Discover it: $4500| American Express Green Card: NPSL| Capital One- QuickSilver: $3000| American Express Everyday Card: $2000| Bank of America- Americard Cash Rewards: $1500 | Barclays Cash Rewards: $1300| Chase Freedom:$1200| Barclays Apple Rewards: $2000
Message 4 of 18
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

I have a couple of store cards that I'l keep around and wait until they close it due to account inactivity Smiley Tongue

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

This wasn't even a vent. lol!

Message 6 of 18
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:

I'm in a similar boat, mostly because my spend doesn't warrant having more than 4 cards.

But I sure as heck am not going to wait 5 years...honestly, once an account hits a year, to me that's "long enough" and it's fair to close it.

At this moment the only thing I really could see closing with no big hesitation is Quicksilver, I love the rewards program but the card serves little purpose anymore and the APR is 22.99% and they won't lower it. While I don't carry a balance on it anyway, it's just a "so this is what you think of me?" kind of thing while my other issuers give me 12-18% lol.

Cancel it and re-apply and get the 12.99% QS if you qualify for that rate, granted the double or triple pull will sting, but since you don't churn cards or plan on applying for any new credit, what is 2 or 3 inquiries anyways?  Kinda like you cancelled you DC awhile ago and apped again.  As you know most likely Citi DC won't last in the long run(pure speculation; as no mc/visa 2% card has ever lasted) and what is the second best simple cash back card,, yep you got it QS.  

I still think Cap1 CS stinks, but I just avoid dealing with them so the blood pressure stays down and Citi isn't known to be much better at least for this product.

Message 7 of 18
ddemari
Super Contributor

Although I have obtained a new card very recently. I plan on closing out a number of cards but I am going to do it slowly over the course of a year. I honestly have been horrified of the x-mas season approcahing and all the data breaches. It makes me want to trim down, even though the creditor's have my info, at least im not so vulnerable with loads of cards sitting around. 

Message 8 of 18
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@ddemari wrote:

Although I have obtained a new card very recently. I plan on closing out a number of cards but I am going to do it slowly over the course of a year. I honestly have been horrified of the x-mas season approcahing and all the data breaches. It makes me want to trim down, even though the creditor's have my info, at least im not so vulnerable with loads of cards sitting around. 

Even if breached you aren't responsible for the charges.. Although you do have quite a few cards/creditSmiley Happy..  Ones you don't need/use I agree 86 them, otherwise if no AF or serve a purpose adding value then keep those.  Anyways, no one knows your credit best other than yourself, so go with your gut.

Message 9 of 18
ddemari
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@ddemari wrote:

Even if breached you aren't responsible for the charges.. Although you do have quite a few cards/creditSmiley Happy..  Ones you don't need/use I agree 86 them, otherwise if no AF or serve a purpose adding value then keep those.  Anyways, no one knows your credit best other than yourself, so go with your gut.

im not even concerned about the money part because I know I'm not responsible, its just the idea of getting an alert from myfico about credit activity being used on the black market I read in a different post, gave me chills for a second lol. all my cards serve a purpose in a way, otherwise id totally 86 them. the few that are 86 able right now are just too good of balance buffers to close. when the times right. 

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.