Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just added my sister as authorized user-question

tag
Tonydga
Valued Member

Just added my sister as authorized user-question

This is my first post to any forum.

My sister has no credit except student loans and I'm trying to help her get on her feet after her 10 year relationship ended. So I added her to a CapOne card with a $500 limit that I really only use sparingly to keep the account open. I have told her to charge $50 or so a month and pay it off each month (this will be easy to monitor since she is temporarily living with me). I am hoping that after 4-6 months of doing this (if not sooner) she can get her on major cc and then I can remove her. Is this a good or bad strategy??

Oh, I only offered to do  this after she could not get approved for a secured CapOne or a regular Wal-Mart charge. Her credit score is around 640 but her annual income is only $4k at the moment (very p/t job currently). I know the salary is an issue but its the best she can do at the moment. But she has absolutely no bills either since she is a student. Wow a lot going on  Smiley Happy

Thanks Tonydga

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Re: Just added my sister as authorized user-question

This will be very positive for her. Just make sure the card is paid in time and in full each month.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 2 of 16
toppers555
Established Contributor

+1 make sure she pays the amount due. Infact if you think she may be tempted to spend more then 50 you authorized I would just charges  a few bucks to it once a month to keep i active . she does not need the actual card to benefit .

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 3 of 16
Tonydga
Valued Member

Good point. Thanks

Message 4 of 16
Luscher
Valued Contributor

infact, she doesn't even need to have the card. you can add her as an AU, and never give her the card, you can charge a pack of gum on it every month, pay it off, and it will benefit both of you.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 5 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Luscher wrote:
infact, she doesn't even need to have the card. you can add her as an AU, and never give her the card, you can charge a pack of gum on it every month, pay it off, and it will benefit both of you.

+1

There's a variety of different options as mentioned by the others, this not only preserves your credit rating but also helps her build her file.

Message 6 of 16
credit-hunter
Frequent Contributor

Hi.. There are some secured cards out there that don't check credit score or employment history 

Message 7 of 16
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Luscher wrote:

+1

There's a variety of different options as mentioned by the others, this not only preserves your credit rating but also helps her build her file.

I did this for me son about a year ago, he had no credit score, and in 6 months he had his first unsecured card, and then Chase freedom and Discover More card shortly after. He never was issued a card from the AU'd accounts.
Its an option for capone.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 8 of 16
Tonydga
Valued Member

Thats what Im hoping for. Thanks for the info
Message 9 of 16
Tonydga
Valued Member

jamesdwi (or anyone else with suggestions),

In the next couple months when she is ready to apply for an unsecured card, what card would you recommend? Should she stick to Capital One as a first card or, I've read that Barclayscard Rewads MC might be a good card. I have a Discover IT that would be excellent for her, but not sure if she would get approved for it. So I just want her to get a good card but doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles if that makes sense.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.