cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just approved for Delta Gold, how soon "should" I wait before asking fo green?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just approved for Delta Gold, how soon "should" I wait before asking fo green?

I was just approved two days ago for the Delta Sky Miles card.  I'd like to have the charge card in case of emergencies.  It really would only be for that purpose (maybe I dont need it....).
Would it be bad for me to try for it now?  I have been turned down in the past, but my scores have improved.  Hence the Delta approval...I think.....
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Re: Just approved for Delta Gold, how soon "should" I wait before asking fo green?

@Anonymous wrote:
I was just approved two days ago for the Delta Sky Miles card. I'd like to have the charge card in case of emergencies. It really would only be for that purpose (maybe I dont need it....).
Would it be bad for me to try for it now? I have been turned down in the past, but my scores have improved. Hence the Delta approval...I think.....

I waited one billing cycle to go for Green. As soon as my first statement cut and I PIF'd, I was able to qualify based on account history according to their approvals department. I was declined for it the same day I was approved for Skymiles, so I think they were telling the truth.
Here we go again...
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Just approved for Delta Gold, how soon "should" I wait before asking fo green?

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I was just approved two days ago for the Delta Sky Miles card. I'd like to have the charge card in case of emergencies. It really would only be for that purpose (maybe I dont need it....).
Would it be bad for me to try for it now? I have been turned down in the past, but my scores have improved. Hence the Delta approval...I think.....

I waited one billing cycle to go for Green. As soon as my first statement cut and I PIF'd, I was able to qualify based on account history according to their approvals department. I was declined for it the same day I was approved for Skymiles, so I think they were telling the truth.

I'm not in a hurry, so I'll until after the 1st or second billing cycle.

Would it be bad to charge $500 on this card the first time?  I have the money to pay cash, but I'd like to start earning me rewards. 
Message 3 of 5
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Would it be bad to charge $500 on this card the first time? I have the money to pay cash, but I'd like to start earning me rewards.

Amex loves lots of usage, so I doubt it. However, I would have them run a test charge when you call to activate the card though just to make sure. I'd much rather be safe than horribly embarrassed at the store. I gave Green the month off this month to rack up rewards with my Chase Freedom card. I think I got the Green up to a couple of grand in a month, but nothing spectacular to where I was declined.

One thing though, is that I started out nickel and diming on my Green card for the first month, and then made a purchase of about $200 for a cell phone. They didn't decline outright, but they made the merchant call in and also check my ID to make sure I was me, and then they approved it. Then I had to call in and prove my identity before I could use the card again, since I guess I made a purchase outside of my normal spending habits. However, after that and the F/R, it's been smooth sailing.

Oh yeah, right when I was approved for Green, the F/R happened. Do you mind them looking at your taxes?
Here we go again...
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Would it be bad to charge $500 on this card the first time? I have the money to pay cash, but I'd like to start earning me rewards.

Amex loves lots of usage, so I doubt it. However, I would have them run a test charge when you call to activate the card though just to make sure. I'd much rather be safe than horribly embarrassed at the store. I gave Green the month off this month to rack up rewards with my Chase Freedom card. I think I got the Green up to a couple of grand in a month, but nothing spectacular to where I was declined.

One thing though, is that I started out nickel and diming on my Green card for the first month, and then made a purchase of about $200 for a cell phone. They didn't decline outright, but they made the merchant call in and also check my ID to make sure I was me, and then they approved it. Then I had to call in and prove my identity before I could use the card again, since I guess I made a purchase outside of my normal spending habits. However, after that and the F/R, it's been smooth sailing.

Oh yeah, right when I was approved for Green, the F/R happened. Do you mind them looking at your taxes?

I'd rather they didn't have to look at them, but I don't mind it if I can keep my card and my limit.  I used info from my paystub for the AHI.  My income on my taxes is higher than the app due to bonuses and such. 

I may go ahead and ask them about the charge as soon as I get the card.  I'll also "warn" them that I might use it when I go on my cruise.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.