cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just approved for Paypal Smart Connect have some questions

tag
alexdaman

Just approved for Paypal Smart Connect have some questions

Hi all I am new here and have a few questions if anyone knows about paypal smart connect.

Well first I was approved for $500 credit

I heard I can get a paypal debit card and link the smart connect to the paypal debit card and use the credit as funding is that true? And is it recommended?

Also is it similar to bill me later?

And if I use the smart connect to buy lets say a $100 item do I have to pay it off right away with bank account or something and any fees for using the smart connect?

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
ficofox
Regular Contributor

Re: Just approved for Paypal Smart Connect have some questions

Congrats on your PPSC approval.  I also have this and it behaves like a traditional credit card account. You receive statements and minimum payment amounts. Yes, you can set it to be a backup source for your debit card. Do this under preference settings in your PPSC management. I don't know of any drawbacks to doing this - I haven't tried it.  I probably won't use this account much (small ebay purchase here and there).

I have noticed that after a payment is made, it can take a week or so for it to clear - your available balance takes a while to reflect the payment. Very slow.  GEMB seems to be slow with clearing payments across the board. Mine was a very high APR so I would never carry a balance.

It could be a good way to improve credit and get in with the regular Paypal Credit Card down the road.

With FICO, time heals all wounds.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 14
alexdaman

thanks for reply

so with the smart connect linked as main fund source to my paypal debit card it will be able to be used like a normal credit card at places like stores besides online stores right?

Message 3 of 14
mross1080
Established Contributor

Yes and if you have it set up you will get 1% cash back every month.

Message 4 of 14
ficofox
Regular Contributor

Once you setup your backup funding source as Paypal Smart Connect, you would use your Paypal Debit Mastercard and backup funding would be provided by the Paypal Smart Connect.  However, I haven't tried using my Paypal debit card in this way so I couldn't guarantee that it works.  You could certainly test it out with a small purchase and see if the debit goes through using PPSC as the backup funding to your Paypal Debit card.

To setup your backup funding source for the Debit card, go to Paypal Debit Mastercard management tools under Profile.

Backup payment method: Line of Credit for your PayPal Smart Connect x-

Backup limit:

The spending power for your PayPal Smart Connect is the maximum you have available for backup payments. Please note that standard debit card limits also apply.

I hope this helps.  Checkout the Paypal Smart Connect FAQs for other info.

You can use the Paypal Smart Connect line of credit anywhere Paypal is accepted and quite a huge number of major online stores now take Paypal.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@alexdaman wrote:

Hi all I am new here and have a few questions if anyone knows about paypal smart connect.

I heard I can get a paypal debit card and link the smart connect to the paypal debit card and use the credit as funding is that true? And is it recommended?

Yes and Yes. It delays it hitting the online account alittle. You will notice. It will debit the card then it will take a few more days to take money from smart connect. 

And if I use the smart connect to buy lets say a $100 item do I have to pay it off right away with bank account or something and any fees for using the smart connect?

As long as you pay in full once that 100 hits on your statement, then you will not have to pay any interest fees. Smart Connect reports as a store card. I am kind of glad since its my only store card.

Thanks in advance

My Smart Connect went from 300 and is now 1100.  Every 4 months I am getting increases.

Message 6 of 14
crazysxycool
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@alexdaman wrote:

Yes and Yes. It delays it hitting the online account alittle. You will notice. It will debit the card then it will take a few more days to take money from smart connect. 

As long as you pay in full once that 100 hits on your statement, then you will not have to pay any interest fees. Smart Connect reports as a store card. I am kind of glad since its my only store card.

Thanks in advance

My Smart Connect went from 300 and is now 1100.  Every 4 months I am getting increases.

Are these increases done with a soft pull?  I was thinking of asking for an increase but I don't want another inquiry right now.

Starting Score: TU: 663 EQ: 632 EX: ?
Current Score: TU: 721 (12/02/12) EQ: 704 (12/2012 via SW) EX: 712 (11/19/12 via Amex)
Goal Score: 700 (ALL)

Message 7 of 14
ficofox
Regular Contributor

That's pretty interesting. So using the debit this way, you essentially turn PPSC into a 1% cashback mastercard with no annual fee (albeit horrific APR).

Message 8 of 14
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

I've used my smart connect account as a backup funding for my paypal debit card. It does work and you do get the 1% cashback on it. You have to run the debit card it as a credit card to get the 1% cashback.

amazon
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paypal smart connection is backed by GE Money Bank (GEMB) and all their credit increases are soft pull. Pull that trigger man! Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.