cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got an offer for a Capital One, should I?

tag
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

Re: Just got an offer for a Capital One, should I?

Was this an unsolicited offer, or did you submit an application online?  If it ware unsolicited, it might be better to just go to their website and do their prequalifying offer.  Who knows, you might even prequality for a slightly better card.
*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 11 of 19
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

RLL1171 wrote:
I have been seeing that alot lately, in reference to BOA offer 99/500. What exactly is that? Is it a secured card in which you pay 99 for a 500 CL?

Yes. It is offered as a counter-offer only if you are denied for an unsecured CC from BofA. You deposit $99 and they'll give you a $500 CL CC. After 9-12 months, they will unsecure it and refund the $99.
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you know why you were denied?

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't been denied for anything yet because I haven't applied. i am scrutinizing everything before i apply for anything. I am protecting my scores as bestt as I can.
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I could have told you that! Crap 1 did the same thing to me. I got "pre-approved" and was denied, after they pulled all 3 CR's.  Smiley Mad

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Changingmantra, this was an unsolicited offer. I should have waited.
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

tonnie39, not as of yet. They are sending me somthing in the mail.
Message 17 of 19
USC08
Frequent Contributor

Anyone know if you apply for a Capital One under their "Excellent Credit" Tier cards and don't get approved, will they approved you for the next available tier card which is "Good Credit" and so on???
myFICO - EQ: 776 EX: 763 TU: 791
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a commission involved when you apply for a credit card. Like those people that stand in the airport concourses that solicit the passengers to apply for the card, i asked one of them how much do they get. i was tol the company gets $125.00 per app. Then they split the reward for getting you to apply wheter you get approved or not. It is a business! And now that you have a hard inquiy it drops your score then when you do get approved they charge you with a higher interest rate. In ewssence you are feeding the monster.

My bank WAMU keeps hounding me about this pre-approved card. So the next time I asked how much am I pre-approved for and they stated they had to run my credit first. I then retorted, then "I am not pre-approved then!!" The bank person then stated correct. They get a comission somehow or a bonus. Beware of pre-approvals! It is not like it used to be, they are fishing for a catch.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.