cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got offered to upgrade my Green AMEX to PRG or Platinum?

tag
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Re: Just got offered to upgrade my Green AMEX to PRG or Platinum?

You can always try it. When I tried, nothing happened...just got a not eligible message. I didn't get FR'd or any other AA taken against me. I don't think i was put on any watch lists because i picked up the Hilton Surpass and BCP before the 1st anniversary of my Green card. The ground didn't open and swallow me up. ROFL!!! (I'm poking fun at all of the 'scary Amex' posts I read)

If you really want to PC, I say it's worth a shot....the worst that will happen is a not eligible message. Of course, the best thing would be to get the PRG)

Good luck.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 11 of 30
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@frugalQ wrote:
You can always try it. When I tried, nothing happened...just got a not eligible message. I didn't get FR'd or any other AA taken against me. I don't think i was put on any watch lists because i picked up the Hilton Surpass and BCP before the 1st anniversary of my Green card. The ground didn't open and swallow me up. ROFL!!! (I'm poking fun at all of the 'scary Amex' posts I read)

If you really want to PC, I say it's worth a shot....the worst that will happen is a not eligible message. Of course, the best thing would be to get the PRG)

Good luck.

My first card was the Green, then a week later i tried for BCP (approved) and few days ago got approved for the Costco TU. Dont know if i should take a chance, since like you said, everyone always talks about being FRd...lol. Its just an upgrade attempt so i dont no harm done if you try it.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 12 of 30
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

The Green was my 1st card since wading back into the cc game. A few months after getting it, I wanted to PC to the PRG.

Now that I have other cards, I'm not really interested in either. The Green definitely served its purpose though. I was able to get my AF waived when I called to cancel it, so it will remain open for another year.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 13 of 30
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@dodgerslv wrote:

@sandman2435 wrote:

@dodgeslv, It all depends how much you plan on running thur the card to offset the increased membership fee..As the PRG has a better points 3/2/1 vs the Platinum..I just downgraded my Platinum to the PRG as I don't travel as much,,If you do a lot of travel the Platinum is a great deal

I have ran about 1200 since mid-March. I am thinking i should average about 500-800 a month thru charges. I think i should be good for the PRG, not interested in the Platinum right now.

500-800 per month isn't enough to justify keeping any charge card, and especially a PRG/platinum. Use it to get your foot in the door, but you'll find better value elsewhere.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 14 of 30
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@dodgerslv wrote:

@sandman2435 wrote:

@dodgeslv, It all depends how much you plan on running thur the card to offset the increased membership fee..As the PRG has a better points 3/2/1 vs the Platinum..I just downgraded my Platinum to the PRG as I don't travel as much,,If you do a lot of travel the Platinum is a great deal

I have ran about 1200 since mid-March. I am thinking i should average about 500-800 a month thru charges. I think i should be good for the PRG, not interested in the Platinum right now.

500-800 per month isn't enough to justify keeping any charge card, and especially a PRG/platinum. Use it to get your foot in the door, but you'll find better value elsewhere.

really think thats not enough scholar? well you guessed right, the reason i applied for the green was to get in with AMEX but probably didnt need to cuz i got 2 revolvers in a period of almost 2 months since getting the green...lol.

Message 15 of 30
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@dodgerslv wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@dodgerslv wrote:

@sandman2435 wrote:

really think thats not enough scholar? well you guessed right, the reason i applied for the green was to get in with AMEX but probably didnt need to cuz i got 2 revolvers in a period of almost 2 months since getting the green...lol.

I wouldn't bother with a green unless I was spending 20k, and a PRG would be 30k.

Charge cards are not for low-spenders, and that's something people often forget because they're enthralled with the Amex name. It's good for some people to get their foot in the door, but MR was never designed for anything other than high spenders.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 16 of 30
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@dodgerslv wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@dodgerslv wrote:

@sandman2435 wrote:

I wouldn't bother with a green unless I was spending 20k, and a PRG would be 30k.

Charge cards are not for low-spenders, and that's something people often forget because they're enthralled with the Amex name. It's good for some people to get their foot in the door, but MR was never designed for anything other than high spenders.

i agree and yet it seems like they are the easier to get than their revolvers. Was so afraid that i would get denied for the revolver i tried for the green charge card first hoping to get my foot in the door. Well at least the annual fee is waived the first year...lol. will see if i really didnt have no need for it once the AF is due up and will decide then if to cancel it.

Message 17 of 30
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@dodgerslv wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@dodgerslv wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@dodgerslv wrote:

@sandman2435 wrote:

i agree and yet it seems like they are the easier to get than their revolvers. Was so afraid that i would get denied for the revolver i tried for the green charge card first hoping to get my foot in the door. Well at least the annual fee is waived the first year...lol. will see if i really didnt have no need for it once the AF is due up and will decide then if to cancel it.

They're easier to get because it's less risky on their part. They can immediately stop you from charging when things look fishy and you're not allowed to revolve a balance. Since they're able to limit their risk more effectively, they're more accepting when it comes to applicants.

If you don't charge much, it works for them as well. They get a disproportionately large AF from you, while giving out very little in terms of rewards.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
Message 18 of 30
CardsLifeLine
Frequent Contributor

There is no such rule of 13 months .. I have green card only for a months and I can see upgrade option being shown for gold and platinum. As we all know Amex runs SP on each customer based on certain eligibility criteria upgrade is displayed. Again good standing mode of account plays a vital role and ur spend ability as well matters.
USBank Cash+(14K)/Penfed Rewards Visa Sigg (25K)/ Penfed Promise card (5K)/ Penfed Amex Travel Rewards card(20K)/AMEX ZYNC (NPSL)/AMEX Startwood(9K)/AMEX COSTCO(5K)/AMEX EVERY DAY (10K)/AMEX HILTON HONOURS (8K)/CHASE FREEDOM(4K)/Chase Salte(12K)/AMEX Fidelity Investments(7.5K)/BOA Better Balance Rewards(5K)/BoA Travel Signature Card (10K)/BoA rewards cards (15K)/AMEX MACYS(6K)/Barclaycard Rewards(3K)/Salie Mea (5K)/DISCOVER IT(7K)/ DCU VISA Platinum Card(7.5K)/PAYPAL MASTER CARD(8K)/GAP(4.5K)/US Bank Flex Rewards (6K)/ Best Buy (4k)/Gymbore Visa card(6K)/ TARGET(600)/CHILDREN PLACE(900)/WALMART DISCOVER(8K)/TOY R US MASTER CARD(8K)/JCP(4K)/KOHLS(400)– Total 31 Cards
Message 19 of 30
CardsLifeLine
Frequent Contributor

U r obsoletly correct ...
USBank Cash+(14K)/Penfed Rewards Visa Sigg (25K)/ Penfed Promise card (5K)/ Penfed Amex Travel Rewards card(20K)/AMEX ZYNC (NPSL)/AMEX Startwood(9K)/AMEX COSTCO(5K)/AMEX EVERY DAY (10K)/AMEX HILTON HONOURS (8K)/CHASE FREEDOM(4K)/Chase Salte(12K)/AMEX Fidelity Investments(7.5K)/BOA Better Balance Rewards(5K)/BoA Travel Signature Card (10K)/BoA rewards cards (15K)/AMEX MACYS(6K)/Barclaycard Rewards(3K)/Salie Mea (5K)/DISCOVER IT(7K)/ DCU VISA Platinum Card(7.5K)/PAYPAL MASTER CARD(8K)/GAP(4.5K)/US Bank Flex Rewards (6K)/ Best Buy (4k)/Gymbore Visa card(6K)/ TARGET(600)/CHILDREN PLACE(900)/WALMART DISCOVER(8K)/TOY R US MASTER CARD(8K)/JCP(4K)/KOHLS(400)– Total 31 Cards
Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.