cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got offered to upgrade my Green AMEX to PRG or Platinum?

tag
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

Just got offered to upgrade my Green AMEX to PRG or Platinum?

So i logged in to my account and when i clicked on "view all charge and credit cards" it gave me the option to view my offers and then on the left hand corner of the page it gave me to choice to upgrade my card to a PRG, Gold or Platinum.  Is this like a legit offer like a PC change or an invitation to apply for another charge card?

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
n777ua
Established Contributor

Re: Just got offered to upgrade my Green AMEX to PRG or Platinum?

Its legit, its just a PC to Gold or Plat, not a new account.

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 2 of 30
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Its an offer to PC.  I've got a standing offer to upgrade to Platinum, but for me, I wouldn't have a need for the platinum benefits

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 30
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

thanks guys...i am really interested in the PRG (card i should have applied in the first place). Too bad no offers will come with the card if i upgrade.

Message 4 of 30
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 5 of 30
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
So, you gonna upgrade or keep what you have?

not sure Lexie...still thinking about it. It is quite an incrase on the AF thats for sure. Will the use of the card justify it is the question....lol

Message 6 of 30
sandman2435
Established Contributor

@dodgeslv, It all depends how much you plan on running thur the card to offset the increased membership fee..As the PRG has a better points 3/2/1 vs the Platinum..I just downgraded my Platinum to the PRG as I don't travel as much,,If you do a lot of travel the Platinum is a great deal

Message 7 of 30
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@sandman2435 wrote:

@dodgeslv, It all depends how much you plan on running thur the card to offset the increased membership fee..As the PRG has a better points 3/2/1 vs the Platinum..I just downgraded my Platinum to the PRG as I don't travel as much,,If you do a lot of travel the Platinum is a great deal

I have ran about 1200 since mid-March. I am thinking i should average about 500-800 a month thru charges. I think i should be good for the PRG, not interested in the Platinum right now.

Message 8 of 30
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

OP, How long have you had the card?

The reason I ask is because the 'upgrade' option showed up for me long BEFORE I made it to 13 months with my Green card. However, when I clicked on it, I got an 'not eligible' message. When I called cs, I was told that my card was not eligible for upgrade because of the 13 month rule.

I think that's a standard option for those with charge cards.

YMMV, of course.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 9 of 30
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@frugalQ wrote:
OP, How long have you had the card?

The reason I ask is because the 'upgrade' option showed up for me long BEFORE I made it to 13 months with my Green card. However, when I clicked on it, I got an 'not eligible' message. When I called cs, I was told that my card was not eligible for upgrade because of the 13 month rule.

I think that's a standard option for those with charge cards.

YMMV, of course.

you know what frugal? you may be right about that. Have had the card since March so if that is the rule then i probably will not be eligible. If i try it and it gives me the not eligible message then it probably is the same for me. I think you do have to have it for at least 13 months.

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.