cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just noticed some mad EX softing going on!

tag
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Just noticed some mad EX softing going on!

I just pulled my full EX reported and noticed some heavy softing going on by two players:

1) Chase - I have two Providian -> WaMu -> Chase accounts, one open, the other closed by me some time ago:

07/18/2009  Chase Bank, Westerville, OH

07/21/2009  First USA, NA, Westerville OH  (This is Chase related,)

Last time Chase looked at something it was First USA on EX in May 2009 and that INQ has disappeared. Chase looked at TU before that (in Feb) and I have not looked at that full report since May.

2) Amex - I have several long ago gone bad (and past SOL) Amex accounts:

07/18/2009  Amex Account Review, El Paso, TX

07/18/2009  American Express, Phoenix, AZ

07/30/2009  American Express Co, El Paso, TX

08/10/2009  Amex Account Review, El Paso, TX

The only other time I have on record for Amex was 02/09/2009 out of El Paso, TX. There were others in the last two years that have also disappeared.

eta: I just pulled TU and see Amex out of El Paso softed there as AR in 04/2009.

I wonder what these two are up to. They sure are looking a lot. Of course the way EX works it the AR and PRM inquiries are tossed in together so who knows.

Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 08-19-2009 01:23 AM
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Just noticed some mad EX softing going on!

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

I just pulled my full EX reported and noticed some heavy softing going on by two players:

1) Chase - I have two Providian -> WaMu -> Chase accounts, one open, the other closed by me some time ago:

07/18/2009  Chase Bank, Westerville, OH

07/21/2009  First USA, NA, Westerville OH  (This is Chase related,)

Last time Chase looked at something it was First USA on EX in May 2009 and that INQ has disappeared. Chase looked at TU before that (in Feb) and I have not looked at that full report since May.

2) Amex - I have several long ago gone bad (and past SOL) Amex accounts:

07/18/2009  Amex Account Review, El Paso, TX

07/18/2009  American Express, Phoenix, AZ

07/30/2009  American Express Co, El Paso, TX

08/10/2009  Amex Account Review, El Paso, TX

The only other time I have on record for Amex was 02/09/2009 out of El Paso, TX. There were others in the last two years that have also disappeared.

eta: I just pulled TU and see Amex out of El Paso softed there as AR in 04/2009.

I wonder what these two are up to. They sure are looking a lot. Of course the way EX works it the AR and PRM inquiries are tossed in together so who knows.

Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 08-19-2009 01:23 AM

I have seen credit reports where AmEx has been softing former cardholders 10 times a month for 15 years on accounts written off or included in BK.  It almost makes you think that the CRAs pay AmEx to pull reports instead of the other way around.

Message 2 of 23
smallfry
Senior Contributor

What I find strange is the soft going missing on an Experian report.
Message 3 of 23
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@smallfry wrote:

And that's a fact. Very strange.

I should lay them side by side and see if anything else dropped.

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I noticed a lot of softing from BoA and Discover on my EX starting a couple of months ago. No change in spending pattern (PIF), and this past week I was able to get a CLI out of both of them. 
Message 5 of 23
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

smallfry wrote:

I've been losing softs off of all three.

I pull a full report from all 3 bureaus every month and copy/ paste the soft info onto Notepad. It's very obvious to see that they're all losing softs like mad. Which I'm reasonably certain is a violation, but hey.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 23
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

The format of the EX report makes it really difficult to cross check these drops online. The only way I can do it is to print it out and that would require a working printer. Maybe some day soon. The massive softing by the other two was blatantly obvious.
Message 7 of 23
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I noticed a lot of softing from BoA and Discover on my EX starting a couple of months ago. No change in spending pattern (PIF), and this past week I was able to get a CLI out of both of them. 

Softing is not really a bad thing. If they've been softing you and you've been good half the work for that CLI has already been done. All that's really left is your request and the determination as to how much.

In my case Chase has been fine - they've left me alone. Amex has an axe to grind and are madly spinning their wheels with no where to go!

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a question as I noticed that my mom's credit report had a lot of soft inquires from AMEX too.  She had a charge off almost 6 years ago.  They do softies every month or two.  So have other banks.  She has been opted out for over 5 years.  I know AMEX has her info but how do these other banks have her information?  If she has opted out will the credit agencies still give out her credit report information along with her address?
Message 9 of 23
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I had a question as I noticed that my mom's credit report had a lot of soft inquires from AMEX too.  She had a charge off almost 6 years ago.  They do softies every month or two.  So have other banks.  She has been opted out for over 5 years.  I know AMEX has her info but how do these other banks have her information?  If she has opted out will the credit agencies still give out her credit report information along with her address?

What CBR are these INQ's showing on? Are they AR (Account Review) or PRM (Promotional)? Are they from places she once had accounts with or their successors?
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.