Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just one visa/MC. pros please andvice?

tag
luckelle
Regular Contributor

Just one visa/MC. pros please andvice?

i just want one fair unsecured card. i have appd for citi freedom and know chase amazon visa( no reply yet). so i dont make a complete HP fool of myself can anyone advice on there successful app with scores like mine. doesnt matter the cl. just one unsecured cardSmiley Sad

Starting Score: 5/2012 TU 595, EQ 565, EX fako 547
Current Score:as of 9/2012, TU 626,Walmart 612, EQ 600, EX fako 623
Goal Score: 640 by dec 2013
BofA Au 13000, Amazon 600, Capt1 300, Walmart 150
When all else fails pay it!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
RHAL
Regular Contributor

Re: Just one visa/MC. pros please andvice?

The best cards I have seen people get with your scores are: AMEX Zync, Chase Freedom (after recon), Capitol One Cash with AF, Barclay Apple(after recon), NFCU, Best Buy RZ MC. These suggestions are definitely YMMV. Because even though I have seen similiar scores get approved, everybody has a different profile.

My wallet? AMEX PR Gold NPSL, AMEX HH 1k, Citi Hilton Reserve VS, CSP 9.2k, Chase Freedom 6.7k, Chase Sapphire 5.2k, USAA AMEX 2k, Cap 1 Cash 1.2k, BBRZ MC 500, Barclaycard Apple 1.5k, Barclay Ring 4.5k, Bank Americard 123 5.5k, NFCU Cash 14k

Starting Score: (9/27/10)TU:602 EQ:567
Current Score: TU:670 EQ:670 EX: 706 chase pull
Goal Score: TU:700 EQ:700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

My wallet? AMEX PR Gold, Citi Hilton Gold, Cap 1 Cash, BBRZ MC, Barclaycard Apple, Bank Americard Cash
Message 2 of 12
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

I´m interested in this post and I think you meant Chase Freedom.

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 3 of 12
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@RHAL wrote:

The best cards I have seen people get with your scores are: AMEX Zync, Chase Freedom (after recon), Capitol One Cash with AF, Barclay Apple(after recon), NFCU, Best Buy RZ MC. These suggestions are definitely YMMV. Because even though I have seen similiar scores get approved, everybody has a different profile.

I humbly disagree.  I wouldn't app for any of the prime cards listed and even some of the non prime might be a challenge.  I think your best bet for a unsecured card is Capital One.   I'd app the "newcomers" card as it has no annual fee.  Amex Zync is designed for people with thin files.  Chase Freedom might help you after recon but if they pull EQ then I think it's a no go.  Barclays, though often you read of approvals after recon, really isn't an easy card to get and they almost always pull TU.  What does your file look like?  Do you have any baddies listed and if so, what are they?  BK, COs, Lates?  Give us a little more info and we might be able to help you.  If you have an in with NFCU, then you can probably get approved with them for a decent limit.  Look forward to your response.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 4 of 12
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

scores are to low.  Cap One or credit union should help with your scores over time.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 5 of 12
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:

@RHAL wrote:

I humbly disagree.  I wouldn't app for any of the prime cards listed and even some of the non prime might be a challenge.  I think your best bet for a unsecured card is Capital One.   I'd app the "newcomers" card as it has no annual fee.  Amex Zync is designed for people with thin files.  Chase Freedom might help you after recon but if they pull EQ then I think it's a no go.  Barclays, though often you read of approvals after recon, really isn't an easy card to get and they almost always pull TU.  What does your file look like?  Do you have any baddies listed and if so, what are they?  BK, COs, Lates?  Give us a little more info and we might be able to help you.  If you have an in with NFCU, then you can probably get approved with them for a decent limit.  Look forward to your response.  Smiley Happy

+1. Your scores are too low for these cards. You'll need to use a stepping stone card before you try for Chase, Amex, etc. As it stands you're basically sub-prime, and those are prime lenders.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 6 of 12
luckelle
Regular Contributor

yea i feel im sub-prime just thought id try. 2 collections over 5.5 yrrs old and school loan. to be honest im wanting to get another 100CL to move my score CL value into the 15 to 20k bracket which seems to bump my score in the fico simulators and on usaa simulator. I could app for another store card but, another visa/ mc would be better all around. Im sure you all understand. As far as amex and sappire, there is no way im apping for them right know. oh, 14 paid as agreed accts and car/ motorcycle loans paying as agreed

Starting Score: 5/2012 TU 595, EQ 565, EX fako 547
Current Score:as of 9/2012, TU 626,Walmart 612, EQ 600, EX fako 623
Goal Score: 640 by dec 2013
BofA Au 13000, Amazon 600, Capt1 300, Walmart 150
When all else fails pay it!

Message 7 of 12
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Op, your scores seme a bit low for collections of 5.5 years old.  Is there something else going on?  Can you look at the credit reportsyou those scores and let us know what reported balances and limits were.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 8 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@luckelle wrote:

i just want one fair unsecured card. i have appd for citi freedom and know chase amazon visa( no reply yet). so i dont make a complete HP fool of myself can anyone advice on there successful app with scores like mine. doesnt matter the cl. just one unsecured cardSmiley Sad

Just sit on what you have currently; if you've already made the applications wait to see what they come back with.

Don't get caught up on the whole subprime vs. prime thing, FWIW neither the Zync nor the Freedom are prime cards by the standard definition of prime vs. subprime (which has everything to do with FICO and nothing with anything else technically).

That said, your scores are likely low and at *best* marginal for either of these cards or those in the rest of your list.  Time is really everyone's best friend when it comes to credit building, and while I know it sucks from personal experience (even I've halfway talked myself into pushing my end-of-year apps up to pretty much now even though rationally I know it's completely stupid), but there really isn't a whole lot of choice either of us have in the matter: sitting on our hands is unquestionably the best decision currently.

If your applications are in, see if you get an approval, and if you don't, you can try to recon, but don't try to apply for anything else right now.  Just use what you have and see where you're at come mid-December... that's really the time to take a flier on a Zync application, not beforehand.  Take the time derived FICO bonuses that'll come with another 4 months of clean history on your CR's before taking a shot.  *Everything* else needs to be taken as an evaluation, Amex is the only lender (because of backdating) that it makes sense just taking a Hail Mary app on: a membership date of 2012 vastly outweighs one of 2013 at the 2 year mark, and the inquiry is trivial in comparison.

Right now though, re-evaluate your priorities.  Cards are just pieces of plastic, long term it's the tradelines which matter... and you've already got enough of those reporting according to your signature; you're setup fine for the future, and you're just making it harder for yourself by continuing to fiddle with it currently.

        
Message 9 of 12
Open123
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Just sit on what you have currently; if you've already made the applications wait to see what they come back with.

Don't get caught up on the whole subprime vs. prime thing, FWIW neither the Zync nor the Freedom are prime cards by the standard definition of prime vs. subprime (which has everything to do with FICO and nothing with anything else technically).

Sometimes, patience is the only alternative. 

Have you considered starting with a couple of good secured cards for them to unsecure in 12 months?  This will give you a couple of unsecured tradelines with positive history, and should allow you to apply for some cards that fit your requirements more closely.

Good advice on the prime vs. subprime thing.  In my estimation, Prime is the card you use and benefits *you* the most. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.