cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just sent in my Amex Optima App. Suggested usage ?

tag
unas2k5

Just sent in my Amex Optima App. Suggested usage ?

I just sent in my American Express optima application. What is the suggested way I use it? The credit limit is only $800. Do I make several payments a month paying in full or should I just pay in full before the statement cuts just one payment for one month? 
Recently I've seen a link on here with information on the Optima card on the American Express website I cannot find that link does anyone have it?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Just sent in my Amex Optima App. Suggested usage ?

Just use it as any ordinary card. There is no right or worng on how you use it. Plus, there are no extra bonus points for PIF vs several monthly payments in the same cycle (i.e. AZEO is not necessary unless that's your current discipline). The main thing is to ensure payments are always on time.

Message 2 of 4
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Use the card as much as you'd like over the course of the month, however, I'd suggest keeping the statement balance at 28% ($224) or below.

You wouldn't be doing this to impress AMEX, who's unlikely to care as long as you're paying in full. You're simply trying to avoid an unnecessarily high score drop, which is pretty easy to have happen on a low limit card.

Message 3 of 4
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

Just use it as any ordinary card. There is no right or worng on how you use it. Plus, there are no extra bonus points for PIF vs several monthly payments in the same cycle (i.e. AZEO is not necessary unless that's your current discipline). The main thing is to ensure payments are always on time.

And no returned payments, either. That's a big no-no.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.