Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just wow... Stolen Credit Card

tag
nickn86
Contributor

Re: Just wow... Stolen Credit Card

@lithium78 wrote:

When FedEx came with my card, they rang the doorbell and required a signature before they would hand it over.  I don't know why it was different in your case.  When you are delivering a financial instrument, it's so important that it is delivered directly to a person to avoid problems like fraud.

I think a lot of it unfortunately depends on the neighborhood you're in.  The better the nabe, the more likely FedEx is just to leave the thing in a random spot, sometimes even when signature is required!  It's sort of stupid because even very safe neighborhoods often have high theft rates, and people in such neighborhoods are likely to receive more expensive packages on average.

It also depends though.  One time I had USPS leave my freaking passport right on my front steps!  And this is when I was living in a fairly shady locale.

Honestly though, of all the packages that could have been stolen, a credit card is about the best thing to have taken.  Easily replaceable and you'll get your money back.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 11 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Rhaeny wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
The only way fedex would leave the package is if they came and you weren't home they leave a sticky on your door saying they will return tomorrow and there is another option when you sign it giving them permission to leave the package and it said they wouldn't be responsible if stolen. That's what my options were.

That is not the only way that Fedex works.  It depends on where you live as to what Fedex will do.  Very seldom does Fedex leave a sticker on my door for anything.  They just leave packages on my front porch.  My Discover card was left under my mat.  Documents sent from my bank for refinancing were left on my doorstep.  My iPhone was left on my front door step.  So I guess it just depends on the area you live.  And btw, those options were listed on my ticket as well but I guess they don't use them...LOL!

That's funny...my iPhone was sitting on my porch too!  UPS never rings my doorbell and sometimes I have no idea that they even came cause we use our garage door a lot. 

I did ask a driver why they don't get signatures or ring doorbells and he said it depended on the area. If it looks safe they will drop and run. Smiley Frustrated

I do live in a gated community but I feel if the sender requested a signature- the delivery service should comply. 

Message 12 of 15
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@gnay wrote:

So how should I go forward with this? I called the police department to file a report and was told I would first need a writing/proof from Discover that those are, in fact, fraudulent charges.

Anyone please feel free to chime in!

I don't see why you would have to have anything from Discovery for the police to do something.  You're telling them that someone stole your mail.  That's a crime even if they didn't use your credit card.

I wonder if they misunderstood (deliberately?) and thought you were asking about the procedure to get your funds back from Discover.  I have had fraudulent charges a couple different times.  Each time the lender has sent me an affidavit to sign stating that I did not authorize the charges.  That wasn't with Discover, but I think that is standard practice.  

You could try taking that to the police once you receive it.  But what is it you want them to do?  If you're just interested in making sure you don't have to pay for this stuff, yuo don't need to worry about it.  It will all be handled by Discover.  If you are worried because someone took your mail, you would need to contact the police, but I highly doubt they will give it much priority unfortunately.

Also, you were concerned about a balance reporting.  I'm guessing that they will get this straightened out before that happens, but worst case scenario would be that you'd have the balance for one month and then it would go away the following month.  No lasting damage to your FICO score.  

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 15
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@lithium78 wrote:

When FedEx came with my card, they rang the doorbell and required a signature before they would hand it over.  I don't know why it was different in your case.  When you are delivering a financial instrument, it's so important that it is delivered directly to a person to avoid problems like fraud.

Federal Express has no idea what is in the box and the driver has even less of an idea what it is.

It is the shipper's responsibility to require a signature, not the shipping company. If Discover does not ask for a signature to be obtained, they will just leave it. If items are reported as stolen to a shipping company, they will mark the area as high risk or something and may not deliver at all if no one is home. Discover has no control over this so that is the one thing that would be the shipping company's responsibility.

I would be furious if a package that did not ask for a signature was not left because I was not at home to answer the door. All the companies have different policies, but none of them know what is in the packages.

Message 14 of 15
Adalen
Frequent Contributor

If Discover is already going to give you your balance back, you don't really need to notify the police.  (Unless you just want to make a report for your own records.)  Usually you would call the police and make a report if the bank requires it before returning your funds.  I don't think that is a big issue when dealing with credit cards.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.