cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Justifying CSR if you fly at most once or twice a year?

tag
digitek
Established Contributor

Re: Justifying CSR if you fly at most once or twice a year?

I fall into this category, having a CSR, but really only traveling 1-3 times a year.  It actually works out and makes sense financially for me and I think you, too.

First, it is a little strange, but if you use the portal for travel redemption then you are not really getting 4.5% back on all travel with the card, more like 4.3%, since you don't get to save 4.5% on UR you exchange for travel.

The amount you need to spend to make it equal to a 2% card for travel/dining after the final AF is about 7k annually ($150 after $300 travel credit, not including 5 year $100 Global Entry although I did use it and it is lovely). (4.3% - 2% = 2.3% and 7000 x .023 = $161).  I try not to eat out all that much and wasn't sure I would spend over $500 a month in dining to justify the card, but kind of forgot how expensive travel is so I've had no issue hitting the $7k threshold to make it financially worth it.

All the rest of the stuff with the card is just gravy for when I travel, mainly the insurance.  Lounges are a little over rated IMO and I don't get much out of Priority Pass, but the insurance and 24/7 'good' customer service are really helpful when travelling.  I used my trip delay insurance in NYC a few months ago and it was super smooth, no hold on the phone with Chase CSR (Delta called me back 7 hours after telling me my flight was cancelled), and saved my $375.  I would normally buy trip cancellation insurance (my Dad is really sick right now so I definitely would get it), and the card saves me that fee each time I travel, too.

Message 11 of 33
sarge12
Senior Contributor

I don't travel at all, so I could never justify it, but from what I've read, it does not take a lot of travel to do so. It really seems to be a great travel card. I really do not see how the AMEX Centurian can ever be justified...compared to the CSR, it seems way overated with the ridiculous 10k initial cost + 2.5k annually...who travels enough to recoup the difference between the cost of that card vs the CSR? Is it even possible? Add to that it being invitation only. I'm sure it would be fun to impress others with the use of that card, but I suspect that thrill would wear off quickly. If I did any real travel I would have been one of the first to apply for the CSR. If you travel a bit less the CSP might work better, and both can quickly pay the AF in savings from what I read of the benefits.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 12 of 33
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

@digitek wrote:

I fall into this category, having a CSR, but really only traveling 1-3 times a year.  It actually works out and makes sense financially for me and I think you, too.

First, it is a little strange, but if you use the portal for travel redemption then you are not really getting 4.5% back on all travel with the card, more like 4.3%, since you don't get to save 4.5% on UR you exchange for travel.

The amount you need to spend to make it equal to a 2% card for travel/dining after the final AF is about 7k annually ($150 after $300 travel credit, not including 5 year $100 Global Entry although I did use it and it is lovely). (4.3% - 2% = 2.3% and 7000 x .023 = $161).  I try not to eat out all that much and wasn't sure I would spend over $500 a month in dining to justify the card, but kind of forgot how expensive travel is so I've had no issue hitting the $7k threshold to make it financially worth it.

All the rest of the stuff with the card is just gravy for when I travel, mainly the insurance.  Lounges are a little over rated IMO and I don't get much out of Priority Pass, but the insurance and 24/7 'good' customer service are really helpful when travelling.  I used my trip delay insurance in NYC a few months ago and it was super smooth, no hold on the phone with Chase CSR (Delta called me back 7 hours after telling me my flight was cancelled), and saved my $375.  I would normally buy trip cancellation insurance (my Dad is really sick right now so I definitely would get it), and the card saves me that fee each time I travel, too.

This is the sort of user I was hoping to hear from in this thread in addition to people knowledgeable in general about the CSR.  Very good point on the 4.3% versus 4.5% because of the UR bookings. Depending on where I want to go it might be a better deal to just to a partner transfer. Most of my spend on this would be dining so at least for that I'd be benefitting from the actual 4.5% if through the portal. I do feel a bit ridiculous with dining spend at time but it is generally heaviest in the warmer months and tends to quiet down in the winter, but that really drives my average up and most dining purchases include my SO. Glad you find it worth it and I've appreciated your input.

Side note: I've put way too much time into this decision. I've been investigating it off and on for about a week. The game plan involves a CSR CSP double dip for the purpose of the bonuses, which I can do and then I'd probably PC the CSP to a Freedom after a year.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 13 of 33
digitek
Established Contributor

I forgot to mention that pairing it with a Freedom really helps and makes it all definitely worth it.  I don't go out of my way to spend in one of the rotating categories, but you will effectively get 7.5% cashback when they do work out.  This quarter is groceries which is easy for me to hit the $1500 threshold, but also PayPal (wish they were on different quarters =D).  I only used it for gas during first quarter and it was maybe only ~$400 or so.

If you just had the Freedom and no CSR you could get $75 a quarter if you maxed it, with CSR you get $112.5, a difference of $37.5 more per quarter you max if you have CSR and get 7.5% redemption instead of 5% without CSR.

I never pulled the trigger on the Freedom Unlimited, I was waiting for the USSA Limitless to be available in my state, but alas, it never was.  I have Citi DC and am over 5/24, but don't think I'm going to get the Freedom Unlimited when under 5/24, I'm eyeballing that State Department CU 2% card =D.

Message 14 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@barthooper wrote:

@digitek wrote:

This is the sort of user I was hoping to hear from in this thread in addition to people knowledgeable in general about the CSR.  Very good point on the 4.3% versus 4.5% because of the UR bookings. Depending on where I want to go it might be a better deal to just to a partner transfer. Most of my spend on this would be dining so at least for that I'd be benefitting from the actual 4.5% if through the portal. I do feel a bit ridiculous with dining spend at time but it is generally heaviest in the warmer months and tends to quiet down in the winter, but that really drives my average up and most dining purchases include my SO. Glad you find it worth it and I've appreciated your input.

Side note: I've put way too much time into this decision. I've been investigating it off and on for about a week. The game plan involves a CSR CSP double dip for the purpose of the bonuses, which I can do and then I'd probably PC the CSP to a Freedom after a year.

FYI, with regards to double dipping, that would have to be done through you getting one and your SO getting the other. I'd have the stronger profile of the two go for the CSR (seems like common sense, but just in case as some people forget simple things in the "heat of the moment")

They won't approve you, a single individual, for both cards. I actually hit that road bump earlier this year (Jan/Feb). I had applied and gotten my CSP in March of 2017. PC'd to a Freedom after getting SUB, as I didn't intend on using it for travel. My wife and I reevaluated our spending/goals and found the Sapphire to be beneficial. I had a "Your Offer" for CSP, so I figured what the heck... as the green checks are usually pretty reassuring. However, I was denied. Not due to credit or utilization (770 with 2% overall and highest individual card is at about 8%). The denial reason was due to having received the bonus in the last 24 months, so they would not approve me for a new sapphire product. I tried to recon 3 times, same reason every time with no budging. I explained that I was fine without the bonus and would just like to utilize the benefits, still a no go... however they said I can PC my Freedom back to CSP haha (as it'd been a year since initial approval).

Message 15 of 33
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

That had initially been my plan, splitting them up as you had tried and then I found out about the one Sapphire limitation but discovered it can still work if you apply on the same day before the system picks it up.

I also found out if it's been 24 months since your last Sapphire SUB you're eligible as long as you either closed it or PC'd to something else.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 16 of 33
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@barthooper

FYI, with regards to double dipping, that would have to be done through you getting one and your SO getting the other. I'd have the stronger profile of the two go for the CSR (seems like common sense, but just in case as some people forget simple things in the "heat of the moment")

They won't approve you, a single individual, for both cards.

Incorrect. One person can double-dip on both the CSP/CSR assuming you're under 5/24 and haven't had the Sapphire SUB in the last 24 months. It's relatively simple and churning reddit has a thread dedicated to the process.

Message 17 of 33
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@barthooper wrote:

That had initially been my plan, splitting them up as you had tried and then I found out about the one Sapphire limitation but discovered it can still work if you apply on the same day before the system picks it up.

I also found out if it's been 24 months since your last Sapphire SUB you're eligible as long as you either closed it or PC'd to something else.

+1

Message 18 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@barthooper wrote:

Oh. I was unaware... my timeline was as follows when I was denied (with no success on 3 recon attempts) for receiving the Sapphire SUB within last 24 months.

03/2017 - CSP in "Your Offers". Instant approval with 6,100 SL

05/2017 - Received/redemmed SUB for cash (went towards a small bill/debt, didn't have intentions of traveling at the time)

08/2017 - PC'd to Chase Freedom

02/2018 - CSP in "Your Offers" with green checkmark again. Knew I'd be ineligible for SUB, but figured I'd try for it to just have the card for travel purposes after revaluating spend. After 2/3 weeks of review, was denied simply due to having received SUB in last 24 months. Called recon 3 times, explained that I was fine with not receiving SUB as I understood that I'd already received it. They were firm on not changing decision. At this time, I did not have a CSP (of my own, nor as an AU). My original CSP had been PC'd to a Freedom 6 months prior.

Perhaps I was simply just an oddball scenario? Not sure. I apologize for the misinformation.

Message 19 of 33
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@barthooper

Perhaps I was simply just an oddball scenario? Not sure. I apologize for the misinformation.

Your scenario is not oddball and is actually very normal. There are just a particular set of circumstances which allow a double-dip of both CSR/CSP cards which bypass their one Sapphire rule. And if you're so inclined and can meet the $8k spend in three months I see no reason why not to do it.

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.