cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kay jewlers easy to get? worth getting just to help credit?

tag
crystal0920
Valued Member

Kay jewlers easy to get? worth getting just to help credit?

I read that Kay Jewelers was supposed to easy to get with no credit history. Can anyone confirm this? I am thinking of trying just to have it to build credit Not sure if I would ever use it. So far I have Cap 1 Platinum $500 $150 balance  Cap 1 Secured $200 zero balance and a badcock account $1,500 $1,000 balance  nothing reporting yet to any of my reports,  scores 0 all 3 reports.

Fico scores 6/1/14 Ex 680 Eq 668 TU 692

Cap 1 Unsecured $750 / Cap 1Secured $200 / Kay's $300 / BOA $500 partial secured / Badcock account $1,200

Denied: Kohls, Discover IT, Barclays, DCU
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

Re: Kay jewlers easy to get? worth getting just to help credit?

@crystal0920 wrote:

I read that Kay Jewelers was supposed to easy to get with no credit history. Can anyone confirm this? I am thinking of trying just to have it to build credit Not sure if I would ever use it. So far I have Cap 1 Platinum $500 $150 balance  Cap 1 Secured $200 zero balance and a badcock account $1,500 $1,000 balance  nothing reporting yet to any of my reports,  scores 0 all 3 reports.

Any card is a YMMV situation.  With that said, you may want to wait until those accounts report and let them age a bit and try this summer.  That way Kay may give you a higher initial credit limit.  However, you'll need to use the card at least once or twice a year or they will shut you down for inactivity.  Just something to consider if you're just wanting to add because you've heard it's an easy card to get.  Anywho, good luck on your credit journey.

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 2 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@LearningMoreAboutCredit wrote:

@crystal0920 wrote:

Any card is a YMMV situation.  With that said, you may want to wait until those accounts report and let them age a bit and try this summer.  That way Kay may give you a higher initial credit limit.  However, you'll need to use the card at least once or twice a year or they will shut you down for inactivity.  Just something to consider if you're just wanting to add because you've heard it's an easy card to get.  Anywho, good luck on your credit journey.

+1

OP - don't apply for a card for just the sake of getting one.  You can build and grow your portfolio without adding unnecessary tradelines that will not provide you any benefits or that you will not utilize...just my .02c.   There will be plenty of other credit opportunities down the road.  In the interim, just let your new accounts age for a while before adding any new tradelines.

Message 3 of 9
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@LearningMoreAboutCredit wrote:

@crystal0920 wrote:

+1

OP - don't apply for a card for just the sake of getting one.  You can build and grow your portfolio without adding unnecessary tradelines that will not provide you any benefits or that you will not utilize...just my .02c.   There will be plenty of other credit opportunities down the road.  In the interim, just let your new accounts age for a while before adding any new tradelines.

Thanks Finstar for the clarification as that is what I was attempting to convey.

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 4 of 9
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

Many-MANY years ago (circa 1985) my very first CC was a Melart Jewelers card, which a couple of years later helped lead to my first dept. store card (JC Penney) and my first major CC (Sovran Bank Visa).

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 5 of 9
CenturyChild
Frequent Contributor

Yes. Kays are pretty easy to get with No to little credit history.

If you are just starting off, have no tradeline or need to rebuild, and need a tradeline to help get going, its a great place to start.

Having said that though, considering you are already started with tradelines and don't really want to use it, probably just as well to pass it up.

Once you have 6 months history you'll have a FICO score and a few new options will open up to you that may be a better choice for a Store Card.

For example GE Backed Walmart, Amazon, JC Penny etc.

Message 6 of 9
crystal0920
Valued Member

Thnaks for the advice I will pass on Kay's but may try Firestone as I do need tires for my car. I hope they give with no credit history

Fico scores 6/1/14 Ex 680 Eq 668 TU 692

Cap 1 Unsecured $750 / Cap 1Secured $200 / Kay's $300 / BOA $500 partial secured / Badcock account $1,200

Denied: Kohls, Discover IT, Barclays, DCU
Message 7 of 9
hot4u
Established Contributor

Kays has been known to close accounts if not used also. I wouldn't waist a Hp

(Chase)- Freedom, CSP®, United MileagePlus® Explorer, Marriott Rewards® Premier, Penfed cash+ rewards/Promise/Defender.
Amex’s- BCE, Hilton, SPG®, PRG® and Blue®, NFCU Cash Rewards, FHB Destinations World Elite.
- Amex Centurion,(Citi) Executive/Platinum® Advantage

Alaska Airlines
Message 8 of 9
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

Re: Kay jewlers easy to get? Worth getting just to help credit?

IMO very easy to get, they were my only trade line for about 2 years right after all my cards charged off. However if you don't have plans to use it DON'T DO IT. It's a waste of a HP, the limits are pretty stingy (for me it was) they close down pretty quickly after inactivity (I have had 3 different Kay accounts in 6 years, the first two they closed 3 months after I was done paying off a 0% intro, I know it was 3 months because when I went to buy something else I had to reapply)

In short

1. Easy to get

2. CLs tend to be low plus HP for CLI (was told only in store and you had to specify what you wanted to buy or they wont trySmiley Mad)

3. Gets shut down quickly for inactivity

This is just my experience with them, and as with any card you experience will vary. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.