Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep cards active

tag
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

Keep cards active

How often do you need to use cards to keep them activate?

Barclays

USAA

Discover

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Keep cards active

Current wisdom is at least every 4 months but with lenders tightening up, I would do 3 and if you like that Barclays, maybe toss them something more than $.99. 

Message 2 of 15
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@corymcd88 wrote:

How often do you need to use cards to keep them activate?

Barclays

USAA

Discover

The most current data shows that it is best to use each card once every 3 months.

For most issuers it is safe much longer.

Why chance it?

Make a charge every 3.

is correct for Barclays it must be more than a dollar
Message 3 of 15
Gmood1
Super Contributor

This also depends on if you have other CCs with the same lender. Some lenders look at usage across your entire account. Such as Amex, you can go many years without using certain cards as long as you are using one of the cards under the account.

I haven't used one of USAA CCs in two years.It's been in my SD all of that time.The Limitless put it out of commission. 😂
The CBs most certainly show it as inactive I'm sure. The lender USAA sees it differently.
Normally after six months of no use the CBs tag it as inactive.
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a calendar reminder every 3 months to go charge some Amazon.com GCs to my cards to keep them active and then just immediately push the payments from my bank. 

Message 5 of 15
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

The sock drawer is not your friend.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 6 of 15
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

The sock drawer is not your friend.

Pretty much this; banks are tightening up. I don't recommend leaving a card dormant for more than 3 months and realistically if you're leaving it dormant that long I'd question whether to bother having the account.

Message 7 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:
This also depends on if you have other CCs with the same lender. Some lenders look at usage across your entire account. Such as Amex, you can go many years without using certain cards as long as you are using one of the cards under the account.

I haven't used one of USAA CCs in two years.It's been in my SD all of that time.The Limitless put it out of commission. 😂
The CBs most certainly show it as inactive I'm sure. The lender USAA sees it differently.

Interesting G, ive never heard of this. I didnt reslize a CB lists an active card not closed as inactive. Learn something everydaySmiley Wink

Message 8 of 15
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:

Interesting G, ive never heard of this. I didnt reslize a CB lists an active card not closed as inactive. Learn something everydaySmiley Wink

Yup, I receive several notification like this a year for different CCs. 

I may use one CC under the account regularly. Because of this BofA doesn't bother me about the one that hasn't been used as much. Same with Amex, Penfed, Navy Federal, Chase and probably some others I can't remember at the moment. The only one that sends me a notification for no use is FNBO, even when using a different CC under the same account.

Screenshot_20190103-072314.png

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Learn something every day! Wondered for years why I would see "N/A" or something similar in various months on my credit report. Found one card that had several months of no activity (which was correct) and it bugged me but, did not know why? Got it now Smiley Embarassed Yes, I actively make sure I use all my cards now with a meaningful purchase (it is a hassle sometimes but, I don't want to loose the card flock I have now as it works for me and already culled the herd).

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.