Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep it or cut it

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep it or cut it

I have a Barnes and Noble Mastercard that is underwritten by Barclay's. Honestly, I don't want the card anymore. You need 2500 points to get $25 B&N gift cards but each dollar you spend is only worth one point. There's no special catergory that will get you extra points. So I basically have to spend $2,500 to get a $25 gift card. This isn't worth it to me. Also, the interest rate is higher than my other cards and it has the lowest limit ($1,000). It's not oldest card but it isn't my youngest either. I have four cards that are younger and three others that are older. In fact, I only received the card in the spring of this year. The one plus is that there is no annual fee, so it wouldn't cost me anything to keep it.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Keep it or cut it

Really no reason to take any action on it.  As you have no annual fee it could help with utilization if you ever carry a balance. I would certainly never use the card though. 

Message 2 of 5
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Given that it's only a few months old and you have other cards that are older, it's not going to hurt your AAoA to dump it.

Message 3 of 5
thomasjm99
Regular Contributor

Personally, if the card didn't cost me anything I'd just stick in the sock drawer and leave it be. But since it's not going to effect your AAoA too bad, I think whatever you decide to do is probably fine. Just giving my opinion on how I'd treat it. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the input. I think I'll keep it and maybe just use for a very small purchase every once in a while so that the account is not closed.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.