tag
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

Re: Keeping track of your card's benefits

@sourpuss29 wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@sourpuss29 wrote:

@rgd51 wrote:
I think citi stripped all their extra benefits several years back?

Interesting. Does this apply to all of their cards or just the lower tier ones?

Citi took away most of the benefits a few years ago. Costco and one or two others kept an extended warranty, but even that is expected (not sure if confirmed) to be going away for new purchases in January. Higher-tier (higher fee) cards are/were hit just as badly.

So beyond the points and whatnot, this translates into their cards not being good for anything else.

How ridiculous.

Yeah they may have a 2% card but it usually has no SUB and no extra benefits. The chase freedom unlimited is usually a far better deal even though its a 1.5% card since it has a great SUB, tons of benefits, and bonus categories.

Message 11 of 21
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@rgd51 wrote:

Yeah they may have a 2% card but it usually has no SUB and no extra benefits. The chase freedom unlimited is usually a far better deal even though its a 1.5% card since it has a great SUB, tons of benefits, and bonus categories.

DC is good for some people. It gives 2x TYs on all spend, which is great if you can use the partners well.

CFU does have some good benefits, but they're not as strong as those on a CSR or Amex Platinum.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 12 of 21
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@rgd51 wrote:

DC is good for some people. It gives 2x TYs on all spend, which is great if you can use the partners well.

CFU does have some good benefits, but they're not as strong as those on a CSR or Amex Platinum.

Yeah but for a no AF card I can't think of one that gives better benefits other than maybe the chase freedom flex.

Message 13 of 21
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Several MF users very helpfully posted this link a while back, but if you go to the MC link below, it should allow you to be able to enter your 16-digit MC credit card numbers to see which bendits apply to each of your individual MC cards.

https://us.mycardbenefits.com/usa/en_US

Message 14 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@sourpuss29 wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@sourpuss29 wrote:

@rgd51 wrote:
I think citi stripped all their extra benefits several years back?

Interesting. Does this apply to all of their cards or just the lower tier ones?

Citi took away most of the benefits a few years ago. Costco and one or two others kept an extended warranty, but even that is expected (not sure if confirmed) to be going away for new purchases in January. Higher-tier (higher fee) cards are/were hit just as badly.

So beyond the points and whatnot, this translates into their cards not being good for anything else.

How ridiculous.

IMO not really ridiculous, it has the functions most (non-my fico!) people want from a credit card, the ability to pay over time for large purchases or just a convenient way to pay, and wait, it has rewards too!

Sadly, I was reminded of Life of Brian:

Reg: [Romans have bled us white for years]. And what have they ever given us in return?

Revolutionary I: The aqueduct?

Reg: What?

Revolutionary I: The aqueduct.

Reg: Oh. Yeah, yeah, they did give us that, ah, that's true, yeah.

Revolutionary II: And the sanitation. 

Loretta: Oh, yeah, the sanitation, Reg. Remember what the city used to be like.

Reg: Yeah, all right, I'll grant you the aqueduct and sanitation, the two things the Romans have done.

Matthias: And the roads.

Reg: Oh, yeah, obviously the roads. I mean the roads go without saying, don't they? But apart from the sanitation, the 

aqueduct, and the roads...

Revolutionary III: Irrigation.

Revolutionary I: Medicine.

Revolutionary IV: Education.

Reg: Yeah, yeah, all right, fair enough.

Revolutionary V: And the wine.

All revolutionaries except Reg: Oh, yeah! Right!

Rogers: Yeah! Yeah, that's something we'd really miss Reg, if the Romans left. Huh.

Revolutionary VI: Public bathes.

Loretta: And it's safe to walk in the streets at night now, Reg.

Rogers: Yeah, they certainly know how to keep order. Let's face it; they're the only ones who could in a place like this.

All revolutionaries except Reg: Hahaha...all right...

Reg: All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water 

system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Revolutionary I: Brought peace?

Reg: Oh, peace! Shut up!
Message 15 of 21
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

I've never really thought much of my card's benefits. Maybe too much work to keep track of multiple cards. But things like rental car insurance, extended warranties and other benefits can come in handy so I'd like to change my ways. Do you have an easy way of keeping track of the benefits for all of your cards?

I have a spreadsheet, but I mostly put it together so I could see all the benefits in one place, and figure out which cards are best for what. It's not something I refer to on an on-going basis. It turns out, there's generally one card that's better for any particular thing, so once I figured that out I didn't need the sheet anymore. But it did help to put it together, because things like rewards, rules for balance transfers or cash advances, and the various network benefits and fees, tend to be scattered all over the place. If I hadn't put the sheet together, it would be a confusing mess.

But I know which card I'll use for roadside assistance, which card I'll use for a large purchase where I want extended warranty or purchase protections, which card I'll use for questionable webstores (virtual cards are great), which card I'll use for card rentals (CDW), which card I'll use for travel, which card I'll use if I need to withdraw money for some reason, and which card I'll use when out of the country, in addition to which cards I'll use for rewards for everday spend.

Message 16 of 21
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@rgd51 wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@rgd51 wrote:

Yeah but for a no AF card I can't think of one that gives better benefits other than maybe the chase freedom flex.

Yes, the Flex is fairly good, but I'll add most credit unions. Even the CU cards with lackluster rewards tend to provide the whole suite of VISA (and it's usually VISA) benefits, and in addition their top tier VISA Signatures usually lack a FTF, and all that while having a lower APR than the Flex. People tend to focus on the big banks for their flash SUBs and rewards, but if you value network and other secondary benefits, having a CU card or two in your pocket can be a good choice. Only the most expensive travel cards will tend to beat them.

Message 17 of 21
MarkintheHV
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymalous wrote:

I have a spreadsheet, but I mostly put it together so I could see all the benefits in one place, and figure out which cards are best for what. It's not something I refer to on an on-going basis. It turns out, there's generally one card that's better for any particular thing, so once I figured that out I didn't need the sheet anymore. But it did help to put it together, because things like rewards, rules for balance transfers or cash advances, and the various network benefits and fees, tend to be scattered all over the place. If I hadn't put the sheet together, it would be a confusing mess.

But I know which card I'll use for roadside assistance, which card I'll use for a large purchase where I want extended warranty or purchase protections, which card I'll use for questionable webstores (virtual cards are great), which card I'll use for card rentals (CDW), which card I'll use for travel, which card I'll use if I need to withdraw money for some reason, and which card I'll use when out of the country, in addition to which cards I'll use for rewards for everday spend.

This is how I manage the benefits of my cards.  It works quite well.

What's in my wallet?
NFCU Flagship - 80k | AmEx Delta Reserve - $70k | Citi AA Executive - $37k | AmEx Delta Reserve Biz - 60k | Citi AA Biz - 20k
Message 18 of 21
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

IMO not really ridiculous, it has the functions most (non-my fico!) people want from a credit card, the ability to pay over time for large purchases or just a convenient way to pay, and wait, it has rewards too!

Patrick Steward leads a good parody regarding the European Convention of Human Rights.

With time I see new layers to romanes eunt domus...mocking a school system focused on getting the right answer (romani ite domum) while missing the broader point (rebellion).

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 19 of 21
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Patrick Steward leads a good parody regarding the European Convention of Human Rights.

With time I see new layers to romanes eunt domus...mocking a school system focused on getting the right answer (romani ite domum) while missing the broader point (rebellion).

While chase does give lots of benefits on its freedom cards, I wonder if one has to use them if they would actually deliver or whether they would just deny the claims?

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.