Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kicking myself over double balance transfer .. Merrick to Discover

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kicking myself over double balance transfer .. Merrick to Discover

I recently received a Discover card with 0% 14 mos balance transfers.  Great so I transferred a $900 balance from Merrick to Discover. Only problem is I did it twice. I thought I canceled the first one when I entered the amount a few dollars off.   I called Merrick the day it posted and was told I could use the card to get back to zero or get a refund.  I wanted my money back and they told me it would take up to 30 DAYS to mail me a check.  I know it was my stupid mistake but 30 days to mail a check out really! Merrick's days were numbered anyway but 30 days to pay this mistake back to Discover is killing me.   I'm also getting an Amex in the next few days  hopefully I can transfer this amount to them before my statement post over 30% util. on Discover.  I'm so mad at my self for the mistake and Merrick for taking 30 days to sit on my money..Is this the standard amount of time for overpayment refunds to be processed or is this just Merrick being ridiculous?.Has anyone done this and it took 30 days to get their money back? And I've had this card for over 4 yrs in good standing too. smileymad:   

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Kicking myself over double balance transfer .. Merrick to Discover

Completely normal. Especially since it wasn't their fault.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I know...I can pay it back to Discover by the 27th and just wait for the check in the mail....its all my fault.Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 6
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

I bet if you closed the account you would get the refund quicker.  We all know how much they like to keep customers and collect the fees.  Might have been easier in the Disco BT screen to deposit to checking instead of sending to Merrick.  Depending on how long you've had it open the option will appear to have that happen instead for future BTs.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just opened the account with discover so Im not sure that option was available.  I will be closing Merrick soon though.. Not because of this just because I'm cleaning out sub prime accounts  very soon.  It was my dumb mistake.. oh well I'll just pay Discover out of my savings until that check comes back and replace savings   Live and learn...

Message 5 of 6
mdd0214
Contributor

Ouch that is not cool. I've been waiting about 6 months for a check in the amount of $0.01 from overpaying my BOA BBR card before closing it.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.