cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kohl's caps out at $3k? (New, or well known?)

tag
AlanGJP
Established Contributor

Kohl's caps out at $3k? (New, or well known?)

So I was denied a CLI from Kohl's, just received the letter in the mail today. "This card is at the maximum allowed credit limit". It's at $3k, is this a new hard limit, or was I just not aware of it?

I barely use the card as it was a pickup during my rebuild, but I still like to try for CLIs on all my cards. I'm not heartbroken over it, but I was surprised given my $30K Lowes and $18K IKEA limits - granted very different stores and lender, but that is quite the difference.

Personal Cards:
Business Cards:
Closed Cards:
Data Points:
Last Updated: 2023/11/09
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: Kohl's caps out at $3k? (New, or well known?)

@AlanGJP wrote:

So I was denied a CLI from Kohl's, just received the letter in the mail today. "This card is at the maximum allowed credit limit". It's at $3k, is this a new hard limit, or was I just not aware of it?

I barely use the card as it was a pickup during my rebuild, but I still like to try for CLIs on all my cards. I'm not heartbroken over it, but I was surprised given my $30K Lowes and $18K IKEA limits - granted very different stores and lender, but that is quite the difference.

Not new, it's been capped at $3K for a while now. There was a time when you could get up to $4K, and a few people do have that limit. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 2 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Adkins wrote:

@AlanGJP wrote:

Not new, it's been capped at $3K for a while now. There was a time when you could get up to $4K, and a few people do have that limit. 

Right.  I'm at $4K now, but I believe there's been a couple members that were ale to push it to $5K a long while ago. So, the majority are capped at $3K @AlanGJP.

Message 3 of 11
AlanGJP
Established Contributor

Thanks for confirming guys. Came as a suprise to me, should have searched I guess. I don't really use the card since I rarely shop at Kohls, I'll probably close it or just keep it socked drawered and if they close it, they close it.

Personal Cards:
Business Cards:
Closed Cards:
Data Points:
Message 4 of 11
Trini88
Established Contributor

Yup my sister and a friend stopped getting increases after 3k. Found out after talking to them when I showed interest in getting the card.

Goal Cards:
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine has been capped at 3k for a couple years now.

Message 6 of 11
b0yinterrupted
Valued Member

@AlanGJP wrote:

It's better than $300! lol I'm glad I have the card for my build tho. I've been using it but don't like that I have to watch prices. Good thing they price match, I even got them to do it 2 weeks after the 2 week window.

Message 7 of 11
brk1971
Frequent Contributor

IIRC, their system will still allow you to request an increase (and will pull a credit score), so once you top out, you'll want to know that to avoid the waste... 

Fico8 = EQ 779, TU 802, EX 771 (6/22/2022), util = 6.5% ish
INQ in 12 mo: EQ 4, TU 4, EX 7
Cards: NFCU: Flagship VS $45k, Plat $24.3k, Plat $10.7k | Amex: Delta Reserve $50k | Citi: DC WE MC $28.8k | Discover: It $22.5k | Barclays: Juniper $15.25k | USAA: PCR VS $15k, RA $5k | UMB: SR VS $15k | PenFed: Path VS $20k, Plat Rew VS $15k | Synchrony: Lowes’s store $25k | Truist: Bright $10.5k, Bright $6.5k | Cap1: Venture1 Plat MC $10.3k, Kohls store $3k | Comenity: MyCash MC $17.5k | Wells Fargo: AC $10.3k | TD Bank: Target MC $6k (Reports as retail card despite now being MC) | BoA: CCR VS $30k | Affinity FCU: Premium VS $25k
Message 8 of 11
AlanGJP
Established Contributor

@brk1971 wrote:

IIRC, their system will still allow you to request an increase (and will pull a credit score), so once you top out, you'll want to know that to avoid the waste... 

All of my CLI from Kohl's have been soft pulls.

Personal Cards:
Business Cards:
Closed Cards:
Data Points:
Message 9 of 11
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@AlanGJP wrote:

... but I was surprised given my $30K Lowes and $18K IKEA limits - granted very different stores and lender ...

I used to have a Kohl's account many years ago.  I never asked for CLI and closed it a few years later with the original $2K limit when I was trying to simplify my finances.  I think you hit the nail on the head.  There's a huge difference between those examples.  It's easy to spend $18K to $30K on furniture and building materials.  With Kohl's, $3K buys a lot of socks and underwear.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.