Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kroger CLD

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Kroger CLD

My mom got the card about 4 months ago for there 12 months 0%. $4500 CL to start, she transferred $4300.

She has been paying a lot apparently because she currently owes $2600 and they CLD her to $2700 saying she had to high of a balance.

So another bank that offers a great BT offer but they don't actually want you carrying a balance.

I told her to add it to her list with Amex and pay minimum on it until she gets other cards that are not CLD her paid off. 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

Re: Kroger CLD

If her overall util. is low, I would tell her to apply for a Discover Motiva card since it offers good promo BT rates and excellent customer service.
Message 2 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

she already has a Discover card and Discover Business Card.
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

A CLD after 4 months is crazy.  It makes no sense to offer a BT then punish you for using it.
Message 4 of 15
cabana7
Valued Member

I have this card...was offered 0% for 12 months on balance transfers and almost used it but instead just payed off my other account in full...It appears if you want to borrow money for more than a 20 day period you are punished these days...It's like here's your credit line but please don't use it...I will say so far I have had excellent customer service on this card but have always paid in full....
Message 5 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

She is still under the 12 months 0% and just got a letter today, they are lowering her limit again to $1700
Message 6 of 15
DI
Super Contributor

Kroger had/having a bad 4th quarter.  I'm just saying. 
Message 7 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

it's like Amex a year ago, if you don't want to be in the business of people carrying balances DONT offer a BT offer.  Then you give someone a $4500 limit and they BT $4500 and they have paid it down to $1700 in 6 months, does this person show signs that they will not be able to pay the balance.  The BT offer is for 12 months.  I would at least wait till month 13 and if the cardholder still owes $4400 then maybe it's a sign of trouble but if it's paid off!
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:
it's like Amex a year ago, if you don't want to be in the business of people carrying balances DONT offer a BT offer.  Then you give someone a $4500 limit and they BT $4500 and they have paid it down to $1700 in 6 months, does this person show signs that they will not be able to pay the balance.  The BT offer is for 12 months.  I would at least wait till month 13 and if the cardholder still owes $4400 then maybe it's a sign of trouble but if it's paid off!
You're correct that it is insane, schizophrenic and best of all you have nothing to do with why banks are doing this. The banks screwed up and you are being punished!
My new mantra is the only option you have is to NOT do business with these companies.

Message 9 of 15
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

Just curious . . . . Question for CreditAddict:

First some background . . . .I received the Kroger card in April 09 with a 5K credit line.  Immediately BT'd $2,500 for their 0% 12 mo. offer.  Paid about 10%/mo. 

In Oct. (after 6 mo.) I requested a CLI and it was granted for 3K.  Current bal. is $696 and will PIF next month.  Just looked and I have the 0% BT offer until April still available but a new BT offer of 5.99% until 12/10. 

So far, I love this card.

Now the question . . . . What other events were occurring in your mom's credit profile?  Were dormant cards suddenly reporting a balance?  Any new lates or derogs?  Sounds like something triggered Kroger (RBS) to single out your mom since my experience has been the opposite.

Any others seen this behavior from Kroger?

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.