Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LL Bean MasterCard to be Issued by Citi

tag
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: LL Bean MasterCard to be Issued by Citi

@Anonymous wrote:

I wonder if Barclay's is getting out of the co-branded card business. It wasn't too long ago that the Barclay Williams & Sonoma card was switched over to Comenity.

I hope so I am blacklisted from barclays would be nice to have more options 😂😂

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 11 of 35
jas312
Valued Member

I have had one of these for years.  It's got a decent limit--$11k or so.  Haven't used it in a while, though.  Switched to a Freedom Unlimited for everything.

I had thought about getting a Citi Double Cash, but opted for the Chase card after I read that Citi seems to be consistently stingy on starting limits.  Didn't want high utilization since I would be using it as my primary card.  It'd be awesome if they let me product change the Bean card to a double cash and I'd keep that limit.

AmEx BCP (34.5k), Amazon Prime Visa (25k), Citi DoubleCash (20k), LL Bean Mastercard (10k), Chase Freedom (10k), US Bank Cash+ (9k), BoA Customized Cash (8k), Elan Credit Union Card (4.5k)
Message 12 of 35
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

- no, Barclays isn't exiting the private label market anytime soon.

Typically, both the lender and partner organization continually evaluate their contracts and either decide to renew or exit such partnership. Notable instances include Barclays acquiring the JetBlue portfolio from AMEX and introducing the Uber CC recently.

Comenity, SYNCB, Barclays, FNBO, and Capital One consistently aquire and shed private label CC portfolios.
Message 13 of 35
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

This card is now officially with Citi, although the transition won't be complete until Monday, June 18.

I logged into my LL Bean card account today and got this message from Barclays:

We're sorry, but for security reasons online access to your account is unavailable. Please contact Customer Service at 1-888-232-0780.

I called the number on the back of my card rather than the number listed above and got a Citi rep. Before speaking to her, I heard various recordings explaining the transition process. The upshot is that account access is limited until Monday, and neither the customer nor the reps will be able to view transactions. However, customer service will be able to help if you need to report a lost or stolen card.

Part of me wishes that I had gone into this transition with a zero balance. However, I don't anticipate any problems. I wonder when this card might report to the credit bureaus. I anticipate reporting at statement time as Citi normally does, but I wonder if there might be a mid-cycle report as part of the transition.

It'd be interesting if anyone who went through the Costco AMEX to Citi transition could chime in. I'm curious to know how smoothly that went.

Message 14 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never recieved my new card. And the old one disappeared
Message 15 of 35
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Welcome, @Anonymous. Smiley Happy

New cards aren't being sent out until July. You'll need to report your card as lost or stolen. Also, if you haven't been doing so, continue to log into your account to make sure there's no fishy activity (once you can get back in on Monday).

Message 16 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone know if we can add the LL Bean card to our Citi legacy accounts login or do we have to use a retail login (like the Sears card)?
Message 17 of 35
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I wonder if Barclay's is getting out of the co-branded card business. It wasn't too long ago that the Barclay Williams & Sonoma card was switched over to Comenity.

I suspect Barclays would love more of that business, but that the merchants are realizing that Barclays is out of control. I had 2 co-branded cards which I used plenty, JetBlue and LL Bean. Then one day Barclays cancelled all 3 of my Barclays accounts, without any explanation as to why, and with no good reason to cancel my accounts. So now I have no 'loyalty' card with either JetBlue or LL Bean any more.

If I were a merchant I would not want such a 'flighty' partner endangering my customer relationships.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 18 of 35
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Some tidbits I learned last night by calling in or via the website tour:

If you've set up ApplePay, leave it alone until your new card. comes.

Somewhere within the online interface, there's the ability to request a CLI. I haven't bothered to find it. With Barclays, you had to call in.

Payments can be made until midnight Eastern time. With Barclays, I believe the cutoff was 8PM ET.

There's no app.

There's no way to set up notifications for each charge. The rep could see this option on her end, but it was grayed out. Maybe that means it's coming. I couldn't see it at all. Most of the notification options are pretty useless.

There's no indication of the reward earned on each transaction. For example, if you want to know if your gas purchase has earned the 2% gas reward, there's no way to find out.

By the way, the phone number for this card is the same as the one that was used when the card was with Barclays.

Message 19 of 35
Berk
Established Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

Some tidbits I learned last night by calling in or via the website tour:

If you've set up ApplePay, leave it alone until your new card. comes.

Somewhere within the online interface, there's the ability to request a CLI. I haven't bothered to find it. With Barclays, you had to call in.

Payments can be made until midnight Eastern time. With Barclays, I believe the cutoff was 8PM ET.

There's no app.

There's no way to set up notifications for each charge. The rep could see this option on her end, but it was grayed out. Maybe that means it's coming. I couldn't see it at all. Most of the notification options are pretty useless.

There's no indication of the reward earned on each transaction. For example, if you want to know if your gas purchase has earned the 2% gas reward, there's no way to find out.

By the way, the phone number for this card is the same as the one that was used when the card was with Barclays.

I don't know if that statement holds true for everyone. The three I asked for I did online. Instant approval 1 time, Denial after a phone call from Barclays the second time, and an approval just this year after a phone call from Barclays the last time. Each request was initiated by me online.

Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.