@Beast26 wrote:

Where is the new thread?

This is the new thread.

Message 12 of 17
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Re: LNFCU Platinum Visa 5% Cash Back on Gas

Thank you @UncleB 

So, I spoke with them to see if there's actually any way to join the CU and it seems very geo specific. They ONLY allow the following county that is stated on the site, there was this girl I used to talk to and she lives in Owensboro - Davis County and I asked the rep that and even then they don't service that county. I even asked would a military person be eligible cause I know some CU they make it an exception if you are in the armed forces and even then if you don't follow the criteria then you're out of luck. They don't pull a HP on opening up membership and only Equifax for the application. I find it odd, cause when I'm dummying the credit card application and put I belong to a legal entity in a qualifying county, I see tons of states that's out of their area idk how that would work.

As for their credit card, the rewards would be the same as the FK credit card where its automatically applied monthly.

Message 13 of 17
digitek
Established Contributor

I'm actually eligible for membership to this CU. I've passed one of their brick and mortar locations before. I know nothing about them.

I currently have a 5% gas card, but have realized that it earns me the least of all my credit cards, I just don't spend that much on gas annually. Especially if you compare it to a flat 3% card and only earning 2% more than that. With a $100/month gas spend you only save $24 in a year over a 3% card, which is hard to justify in a way, but will be different for each person.

Message 14 of 17
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

I understand, but once I start to have a family then the gas is going to be really expensive then lol. But, just to make up that $24, you gotta push more money out for the 3%. If it was .5 or 1% I wouldn't worry too much but an extra 2% makes a big difference.

Message 15 of 17
digitek
Established Contributor

I feel you, I support the long term cash back model. Each persons spend will be different to decide whether it is worth the app and managing a card. Hope you get that family and spend a ton on gas driving them around all week!

Goodluck with the app for whichever one you go for.

Message 16 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@digitek wrote:

I feel you, I support the long term cash back model. Each persons spend will be different to decide whether it is worth the app and managing a card. Hope you get that family and spend a ton on gas driving them around all week!

Goodluck with the app for whichever one you go for.

Of course, with a family, while gas costs may go up, probably becomes a much smaller percentage of total costs as everything else goes up lots!

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.