Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LONGTERM Card Hold & Spend Strategy Shared

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: LONGTERM Card Hold & Spend Strategy Shared

@wasCB14 wrote:

OP, do you have a lot of off-category spend? Is it mostly domestic or international?

Definitely some off-category. Was just focusing on the big chunks and where to get the most out of that. And mostly domestic.

Message 11 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

You might get an off-category card.

I know some in showbiz are independent contractors or own LLCs. If you make estimated tax payments, you might use an off-category card for that. There are fees, but in some cases the rewards can be greater. CFU comes to mind for your profile. Possibly BBP (but that has a cap on the great rewards).
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 12 of 13
iced
Valued Contributor

@staticvoidmain wrote:

This makes a lot of sense to me. I was actually planning on going towards this goal.

Amex Plat for all airfare/hotel

CSR for all other travel and dining.

Amex for hotels is very situational, and more often than not, a bad plan. I've done a bit of testing in the last two months with this and I've found that prepaying for the hotel on AmEx only makes sense when you're staying at an off-brand hotel or a chain you have no affilitation/membership with. Among my notes:

1. Amex Travel often prices out higher than booking direct. I checked this with several hotels, most notably Marriotts, and the Marriott rate on their app is consistently lower than Amex Travel.

2. Reservations with Amex Travel are not credited as stays/paid nights with Marriott (and I presume a few other chains as well). That is, you get 0 Marriott points, 0 night credits, nada. It codes as a discount/travel agent booking and thus doesn't qualify.

Because of these two factors, I would still lean toward standard bookings with CSR instead. Taking Marriott as an example, you're getting 3 points per dollar PLUS 10-15 Marriott points per dollar, depending on status. You're also paying around 5% less. 3 UR + 15 Marriott points are almost always going to be more value than 5 MR.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.