Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LOOKING FOR RECOMMENDATIONS FOR A STORE CARD

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOOKING FOR RECOMMENDATIONS FOR A STORE CARD

Hello,

I'm in the process of rebuilding my credit, I've been approved for and got 2 cc's so far. Been reading that 2 CC's and 1 store card are a good way to start out...what store card should I be safe applying for with 575 score? My score is mainly really low due to my defaulted student loans that I'm in the process of rehabbing.

THANKS

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
mgs2010
Regular Contributor

Re: LOOKING FOR RECOMMENDATIONS FOR A STORE CARD

I'm not sure if you're male or female (I guess that really doesn't matter....) but, my mom recently filed bankruptcy and her scores were BAD like below 500 bad, and she got approved for a Fashion Bug card w/ 300cl....I've also heard that Macy's is pretty easy to get with bad scores as well. Maybe a fingerhut card if nothing else? They do report to the CRA's, but I don't believe they report to experian. The fingerhut card is another easy, easyyyy card to get approved for. Good luck to you and rebuilding your credit!
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks! I think maybe I'm gonna give target red card a shot, I read alot about them on here.
Message 3 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

OBlakers, I'd hold off and do more credit clean-up (letting things age, etc.) before trying for a third card.

Credit mix helps, but I think you'll be a lot happier with your options when your scores are in the 600's. And that will happen sooner than you think.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alright, I'll hold off then, thanks for the advice!
Message 5 of 8
score_building
Senior Contributor

i agree with HTSU since you may be pushing the envelop if you continue to apply with your current scores, hold off until you see some gains from rebuild and age. 

macy's is the better store card for rehab.  1st find out the issuer of the store card you are considering and if the card has good growth potential, many do not and you need to know that b4 app.

even if you shop at a store regularly it does not necessarily mean you will find the issuer/cc a good match for you.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 6 of 8
rom828
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I'm in the process of rebuilding my credit, I've been approved for and got 2 cc's so far. Been reading that 2 CC's and 1 store card are a good way to start out...what store card should I be safe applying for with 575 score? My score is mainly really low due to my defaulted student loans that I'm in the process of rehabbing.

THANKS

Kudos for working on credit clean-up!  And this forum is a great place to learn all the "ins and outs".  I've been really blessed by it!!Smiley Happy

I agree with hauling that you might want to let scores 'grow' a little bit before apping any further.

When you're ready to app, I'd suggest Chadwicks, Metrostyle, Brylane Home or Newport News. I got these accounts in 2006 and all started at $250.  Chadwick's and Metro are now at $1780 and $1650, Bry is $850 and New News is $970, so at least there is some growth potential.  My Target card is 1 /2 yrs old and is still at $300!  Old Navy is 2 1/2 yrs old as just finally got up to $700 from starting am't of $250.   The catalogue accounts I mentioned have fared much better and they report to all 3 CRAs.

I had a score of right at 600 when I apped for these.  And they often offer 'no interest for 90 days' so I never paid interest on purchases.

Best of luck on the credit rebuilding!! Smiley Happy

FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the advice! ficoforums have helped me a TON so far! This place is great! Thanks everyone!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.