Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lack of usage and CLD

tag
amakol
Regular Contributor

Lack of usage and CLD

Every CCC loves usage. That goes without saying.

Which companies are more tolerant of lack of usage? Approving CLIs is probably out of the question. Would any actually CLD for just using their cards for a small charge every few months? This is my primary concern. It is theoretically money they have on hold for you that they can't lend out to other people.

The reason I ask is I find myself in the situation of having 6 cards and only charging ~$1000 per month total. I'm looking particularly at Chase, Amex, Discover, Citi, BOA and Barclays since those are the mouths I have to feed but any input is useful.

EQ 740 FICO, 4 INQ | EX 736 FICO, 5 INQ | TU 745 FICO, 5 INQ | CL $175K | AAOA 4 Years
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
csryang
Frequent Contributor

Re: Lack of usage and CLD

From what I read from this forum in the past couple of months: as long as you use it once every month or even every couple of months for something, you should not have CLD. CLD is mostly when creditors worry about your ability to pay bills - max out cards, not PIF each month... etc. I have never been CLD so I cannot speak from my experience.

Message 2 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Probably more productive to have the opposite discussion.  From looking at active threads Macy's seems to CLD with lack of usage.

Message 3 of 5
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I wouldn't worry too much about it...

last year, Barclay's cld me from 7700 to 2700 and a short phone call got it back to the 7700 before it even reported. Additionally, Citi closed a 5k diamond preferred account on me for having too many open revolving accounts ( big deal- $5k cls are a dime a dozen Chitibank!)

Adverse Action isn't always a dominoe affect. Just pay your bills like you normally would. I certainly am a fan of 0% aprs. Why would the bank give you a big credit line and a 0% apr and expect you not to use it??

Leverage helps the economy.

I bet a year from now you have several 10K limits, assuming you continue to pay and be responsible with your existing accounts.

You can still get clis to reduce util and increase your FICO while you have 40% utilization.

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 4 of 5
lov2xlr8
Established Member

I had 4 cards with 0% utilizaion going into grad school, AMEX Blue, CITI Forward, Chase Freedom, and BOA AMEX. Immediately started filling them up and making minimum payments... AMEX was the only card that CLD'd, blue card from $7000 to $2200, wasnt really surprised. As soon as I graduated and payed them all off, called AMEX and they were happy to up to 6k and then 10k 6 months later. So really, AMEX was the only one who dinged me of the above 4 but were happy to fix it once I showed them I would pay.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.