cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large Christmas Purchases- Do or Don't?

tag
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: Large Christmas Purchases- Do or Don't?

@Anonymous wrote:

; this could help with things such as CLIs in the future, for example. 

That would be awesome.  All of our ccc's do need to see we can handle larger spend. 

Thanks to all who advised; will just use them as they should be used and not sweat it.  

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 11 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GApeachy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That would be awesome.  All of our ccc's do need to see we can handle larger spend. 

Thanks to all who advised; will just use them as they should be used and not sweat it.  

Are you looking for an adopted adult relative?  I like vacations. Any destination is fine by me too; I'm not picky. Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 37
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

I have a few spend questions about using my our cards for large purchases while continuing to use them for our usual spend.  Since we PIF it will look out of place, I'd like to put everyone's vacation packages on credit cards for various reasons but am concerned this will freak out ccc's and take AA.

Do ccc's expect to see you using your cards, running up the balances to 30%, 40% and maybe even 50% during the Christmas Holiday season?  Are there certain Holiday Spend issues that would freak out ccc's?

What are the Do's and Don'ts?

@GApeachy, i did not thoroughly read the whole thread, this may have been mentioned?

If I am going to do something out of the ordinary IE: "Large Purchase" more than normal,

I call them and let them know ahead of time. In doing this I have had no problems.

and I ask The Rep to make a note to the Account.

edited for spelling errors ..

Message 13 of 37
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Are you looking for an adopted adult relative?  I like vacations. Any destination is fine by me too; I'm not picky. Smiley Happy

If I were rich; perhapsSmiley Very Happy ( I wouldn't mind being taken in myself )

I don't remember past gifts I've given.  I have actually said on a couple of different occassions over the years, "Ooooo, I like that!"  only to be told I bought it.Smiley Embarassed  Or noone remembers the expensive junk of Christmas past so a few years ago I decided "trips" would be our gifts...making memories.  And I'm not talking $$$$$ trips; I'm talking $$ trips.  Which they are all so appreciative of the smallest of things it makes me want to do it for every occassion....lol, that isn't gonna happen though- I wish.

Message 14 of 37
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@M_Smart007 

Great idea!  I will do that and I'll let them know the cards will be used during those trips out of town too.  Thanks for that!

Message 15 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GApeachy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

I'm probably different from you but I'd just use it as normal and if that means showing credit card activity that is not normal just remember the credit line they provided for you is there for a reason as long as it's used responsibly

They probably expect purchases, they may even expect some customers to carry the balance for X number of months. As the new year means possible bonuses from work, tax season and hopefully means people will use their money to pay their credit cards off. The only real way I can see AA is if it's on multiple cards with no headway into bringing down the balance over a period of months. But again that's just me maybe someone else can chime in on similar experiences like the one you're proposing

^ exactly this. 

If you have lenders take AA for you using your cards, you should ditch those cards. 

Thanks!  I was kinda feeling that.....why stress but some ccc's do make me leary.

Honestly I have stopped stressing about it. If a card gets shut down, it gets shut down. Most of them report the limit that you had when it was open so it doesn't even affect your score anyway and if they don't, you just pay it and that's that. It's better to find out if a lender is reliable when you don't actually need them than when you do and while rewards cards are great and all, losing some rewards shouldn't make or break anything. 

I will add that I was stressed about starting to carry balances after all my PIF history and not one of my lenders has shown any signs of being bothered by it -- even AMEX opened the door to a second card through a preapprovals with significant balances reporting and I'm even pre-approved for a third revolver (EveryDay) right now with them. 

Just use your cards and stop stressing. I was having the same problem when I was about to have a huge shift in habits and the sky didn't fall and the world didn't end with a zombie apocalypse. If anything, my lenders have been happier with me showing use and proper management of revolving balances. 

Message 16 of 37
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous  

Thanks Saeren,

I remember us having those discussions on another thread and I was stressing along with you; for you.Smiley Very Happy  I was wanting to do the same. 

So it's going good for you?  Has it hurt your scores any?

Message 17 of 37
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

DO get me a LARGE PRESENT!

DON'T, spare sny expenseSmiley Wink,🎄🎄🎄😁
Message 18 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GApeachy wrote:

@Anonymous  

Thanks Saeren,

I remember us having those discussions on another thread and I was stressing along with you; for you.Smiley Very Happy  I was wanting to do the same. 

So it's going good for you?  Has it hurt your scores any?

No it actually hasn't. 

I lost a maximum of 7 points for having my Citi card report at 56% and it's down to 45% this month and I regained all my points on TU and EQ and I'm only down 2 points on EX so it seems my profile doesn't even have a 28.9% threshold to worry about. 

I am sure that's just a product of being on a BK card though. Next year my scores will swing a lot more but still be higher than the current 710-730 range I have been stuck in. 

I just got tired of stressing and said forget it. When I realized I was going to have to let that Citi card report so high, I had to come to terms with being okay with letting go. Now I just don't see the point in going back. 😂 

Message 19 of 37
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Honestly I have stopped stressing about it. If a card gets shut down, it gets shut down. Most of them report the limit that you had when it was open so it doesn't even affect your score anyway and if they don't, you just pay it and that's that. It's better to find out if a lender is reliable when you don't actually need them than when you do and while rewards cards are great and all, losing some rewards shouldn't make or break anything. 

I will add that I was stressed about starting to carry balances after all my PIF history and not one of my lenders has shown any signs of being bothered by it -- even AMEX opened the door to a second card through a preapprovals with significant balances reporting and I'm even pre-approved for a third revolver (EveryDay) right now with them. 

Just use your cards and stop stressing. I was having the same problem when I was about to have a huge shift in habits and the sky didn't fall and the world didn't end with a zombie apocalypse. If anything, my lenders have been happier with me showing use and proper management of revolving balances. 

This!   One downside of forums like this is that while they provide lots of useful knowledge, they also let you know lots of bad things that have happened to a few individuals, and without knowing the full context for any AA, it is reasonable for people to think "Wow, that could happen to me!"    and start worrying about and planning how to avoid.   These things usually don't happen to most people!

And once you have a decent amount (known to the outside world as "way too many") of cards, in the worst case losing one isn't going to be dreadful from a real-world impact (you might feel annoyed/angry/disrespected, but such is life!)   Things are different of course if you are in a less secure place financially, and then it might be more appropriate to play it safe, but still not worry about the edge cases you see here.

Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.